Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staffing For A Preschool Setting

EYFS states you need a named deputy, do you still need a named deputy for a 16 place 2 session a day preschool?

My understanding is that every setting no matter how big or small needs a deputy. Why do you ask?

Maz

I have two named Deputies who job-share, is that something you could consider? They are both in together a few times over the week and so we get plenty of chance to chat. I actually rely on one of them for some things and the other for other things, so jolly useful!

i have a permanent deputy - but if i'm not in will always allocate a member of staff as deputy for the session as they are all at the same level, so they all get a chance and everyone knows who is responsible for what...found this the best way to avoid situations !!!

Found this post v interesting. I've recently taken over a setting where qualifications and ratios seem to have slipped them by. I have a deputy who said she was given the title of deputy after an advisor came to visit and she was the next highest qualified person (at LEVEL 2!!!), presumably they were told must have a named deputy so just wrote her name down, she doesn't do any extra work for the role. Then at my Ofsted interview the inspector asked what was the point of having a deputy if she couldn't do the role in my absence. The committee are holding off wanting to resolve this as another member of staff should be starting her level 3 in September. It's madness!!!

You need a named deputy because that person has it in their job description to stand in for the leader if he or she is absent, so they need to be Level 3 at least to do that.

You need a named deputy because that person has it in their job description to stand in for the leader if he or she is absent, so they need to be Level 3 at least to do that.

This isn't what I was told by Ofsted, Twice!! They have said the Deputy can have a level 2 and step up in the absence of the manager as long as there is a level 3 on site. And when we had our Inspection in January the Inspector was fine with this as my Deputy didn't complete level 3 until March! When you read the standards there isn't any mention of a level for a Deputy just that the manager should be level 3 and there should always be a level 3 on site. Doesn't affect us now as all of us now hold a level 3.

Kris

• 3 weeks later...

Does a Deputy need to work full time? Would it be okay if worked part time but could be contacted to come in, in case of emergency, illness etc? I don't have a member of staff that works Monday to Friday and am looking for solutions!

Also does anyone know where I could find a job description for a deputy?

Thank you very much

Suebear x

This answers first bit of thread, it's what Ofsted sent me recently regarding a deputy:

Childcare settings are also required to have a named deputy; this individual is not necessarily required to hold a level three qualification. However the ratio requirements in Appendix 2 state that the ratios relate to staff time to work directly with the children. This means that there must always be a level 3 qualified member of staff working directly with the children. This includes when the manager is absent or where the manager does not work directly with the children (supernumerary). In most cases this is likely to be the deputy but there is no requirement that this is the case, it may be any member of staff working directly with the children.

And no, they don't need to be full time

• 4 weeks later...

I've read the thread but have another deputy question that was not covered...does / will it matter if the named deputy isnt in on a session so another level three regularly covers it as leader doesnt work the session ever...the member of staff may also possibly have their own child in setting, and is not really on board with the approach we use so may run the session according to own principles / preferences ... i.e. more structured :o

I'm not keen on the idea at all but am aware my preferences may not count...would ofsted be okay with it?

Hi i have two deputies, one works all sessions, one works less sessions but has nearly twenty years experience. Both offer and are responsible for different things, but are both able to fill in as the supervisor for the day if required.They are also paid an additional wage on those days for this role.

Hello,

I have been reading this post with great interest as this has also come up at my setting recently. i have spoken to Ofsted on 2 occasions and as usual I have been told two different things!!!!

The 2nd phone call was with a very knowledgable helpful lady who explained that a Deputy or Supervisor should be qualified to a level 3 - "working towards" doesn't count...... She also directed me to the Welfare Requirements page 31 "In registered settings all supervisors and managers must hold a full and relevent level 3 qualification"

Hope that helps, it has helped me.

Hello,

i have spoken to Ofsted on 2 occasions and as usual I have been told two different things!!!!

GOSH!!!! It's happened again lol

We were told about a year ago that OFSTED did not care who the deputy was ie named as they didnt recognise the position so long as a level 3 could take over if the manager was off. They said Deputy was only a title. All they were bothered about was that there was a level 3 present at all times. This would be why they did not care if deputy was level 2 or working towards so long as a level 3 was present. This cropped up as i was working towards level 3 at small preschool that did not have deputy (which they wanted me to do!). However, only one other staff had only a level 2 so i was not able to do it.

Guest jenpercy
We were told about a year ago that OFSTED did not care who the deputy was ie named as they didnt recognise the position so long as a level 3 could take over if the manager was off. They said Deputy was only a title. All they were bothered about was that there was a level 3 present at all times. This would be why they did not care if deputy was level 2 or working towards so long as a level 3 was present. This cropped up as i was working towards level 3 at small preschool that did not have deputy (which they wanted me to do!). However, only one other staff had only a level 2 so i was not able to do it.

Ah the wonderful inconsistencies of OFSTED. Recently, my NVQ assessor told me about OFSTED visiting and reprimanding her for not having a Deputy (about 2-3 months ago) - even though she assured them that shwe had 2 members of staff who would step in in her absence - which as an NVQ assessor, happens regularly. They insisted that one of them at least HAD to have the job title Deputy.

I informed OFSTED that my Supervisor had cancer and that she might need time off. I was given permission to operate without her (I have ownde business since 2003 and worked in it since 1999 as playworker but not got round to completing my NVQ until this month) I was givien the go ahead to open without her, in view of my experience BUT I had to assure them that I could reach a Level3 by phone, although as I told the inspector, my Level 3 staff have always asked me for advice.

I think you need to look at it that if you are ill or not able to open for some reason, is there a named level 3 who can replace you and deal with an unannounced Ofsted. I have a named level 3 at every session who may not be the Deputy as she only works 3 days a week, but have trained the level 3's to be able to take over in case of an emergency.

It is good practice to share the load and get them trained up to answer parent's questions and do things like take the register ,just in case something like Swine Flu hits the setting as it did with us last year.

• 3 months later...

Hi it's a logistical nightmare for some provisions i know.

What we do at ours and i'm not saying its correct is that i have two deputies both level 3's, one works all sessions and can deputise in my absence. The other now works two sessions but is always willing to come in to cover if required.

What i always insist on is having a minimum of three level 3's in at each session when we have thirty children and a minimum staffing level of 6 staff members. :o