Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Training

hi

apart from training like - observations, learning journeys, Observation, Planning, Conitinous provision, Creative, Sef, Makaton - Managemt training – deployment, one to ones, appraisals, delegation and conflict

anyone think of anything else they would like to see on training each term or yearly????? :o

Yearly - in house training on child protection, and then every 2 years top ups with Local Board. I think even everyone getting together for a quick reprise of first aid training yearly is helpful, food safety etc. too. But I think your list is very comprehensive, obviously your SEF would cover everything!!!! unless you are just going to pick apart a few items from it.

Outdoor play, behaviour management, something on displays.

Do you manage to do all of these inhouse or are you talking about sending staff on courses. We have been talking this through today and it is hard for us to find the money to release staff and pay for loads of courses.

My deputy and I were talking today - we come from the area were a level 3 'award' in health and safety is needed for supervisiors. This is a three full day course.........and no matter how much you try and reinforce it with staff back at the setting - it's always a uphill struggle and staff never seem to take in that seriously- they just groan when we cover it at team meetings etc. We said we'd like basic 'all staff same day training' as most staff seem to take the word of 'trainers' more seriously and therefore would help promote a better 'all staff awareness'.

Myself and deputy both feel very strongly that things like RAs should be done by all in the settings and it helps them to develop an awarness of risks for themselves.

Here in our Borough they have started charging for some courses which I gather they are now able to do (or to withhold a proportion of the Nursery Education Grant Funding as a levy for providing training. So now we have to pay staff to attend training, pay for staff cover, as well as paying for the training itself. :o

Topics I can think of are staff management, behaviour management, refreshers about issues such as preparing learning journals, working in partnership with parents, etc.

Have you asked your settings what they want?

Maz

how about something on children with English as a second language.. our area put together folder with info and links to websites of use etc.. took a while but it is a useful document.. and then back it up with regular training days.

CLL , stories, songs etc

back to some basics perhaps on learning through play and experiences.. for the less experienced staff perhaps..

not sure if that is the sort of thing you are thinking of...

(and yes, before anyone asks the time on this post is correct)

Inge

Myself and deputy both feel very strongly that things like RAs should be done by all in the settings and it helps them to develop an awarness of risks for themselves.

Couldn't agree more Louby Lou..........this is how we did our risk assessments.......then......got pulled up my SIP and had to redo........she explained that one named person has to take responsibility for risk assessments! :o

Still...what else would I have been doing?!!! xD

Hali - our LA runs what they call 'Inspiration Days'........these are usually really good.......they have a speaker in the morning and then a range of workshops in the afternoon....any good?

Hali - our LA runs what they call 'Inspiration Days'........these are usually really good.......they have a speaker in the morning and then a range of workshops in the afternoon....any good?

please tell me more sunnyday...... :o

please tell me more sunnyday...... :o

Hali if you feel comfortable with this - pm your email address and I will forward their latest info. to you! xD

Have had another thought. How about some training exploring what the development matters statements actually mean? I'm thinking about the recent discussions on here about 'sun like shapes' (or whatever the right phrase is!), and other statements that might be incorrectly interpreted by practitioners, leading to assessments made of children's learning which might not provide an accurate picture of their development.

Maz

Have had another thought. How about some training exploring what the development matters statements actually mean? I'm thinking about the recent discussions on here about 'sun like shapes' (or whatever the right phrase is!), and other statements that might be incorrectly interpreted by practitioners, leading to assessments made of children's learning which might not provide an accurate picture of their development.

Maz

Good idea - a sort of "jargon to English" dictionary :o Would be good to see the results of that on the Forum as it seems to vary between counties!

Nona

Good idea - a sort of "jargon to English" dictionary :o Would be good to see the results of that on the Forum as it seems to vary between counties!

Nona

I can see only one fly in that ointment. Where do you find someone who actually knows what it all means for sure. I have a picture in my mind of a roomful of people having a debate and making up their own minds after all.

at a more social hour now...(hot flushes are the pits!)

some of the most inspiring things I used to enjoy attending were the hands on style workshops...

spring festivals still sticks in my mind as we had a speaker who was a Morris dancer and he taught us some basic moves to use with the young ones, and we always used them May day each year..

we had one each season on the festivals and how to incorporate it into the setting..

Science , ICT, music, physical.. you get the idea... they were always popular and while sounding basic with all participating adding ideas and practices etc it was really very inspiring

occasionally we would get a goodie bag per group to take back to use.. we have had musical instruments, story props ..CDs .. all sorts..

oh and we had persona doll training too with a doll to take back to use...think they had surplus funds that year

Inge ..