Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Don't Suppose

Gezabel

Just wondering if anyone out there has any knowledge of dentistry?

I am more than a little concerned about my youngest son :o

Last Sunday he woke with a 'sore face' and one side of his face was clearly swollen, no toothache but clearly something not right. The swelling increased quite dramatically and my other half took him to A and E. The doctor there told him he had 'an infection in your face' and prescribed antibiotics and painkillers, he also said it would get worse before it got better and that it wasn't related to his teeth - then added when the swelling had gone down it might be an idea to see a dentist.

Since Sunday he has barely eaten, can just open his mouth to talk briefly and the swelling has been hideous (whole of one side of his face) We kept thinking that once the antibiotics kicked in things would be better. I thought there was a slight improvement in the swelling but this morning it was worse than ever. I spoke to our our out of hours GP service and they suggested he saw an emergency dentist - so 70 mile round trip later I now have a son still with a swollen face a new prescription of antibiotics (different ones) to start taking when he has finished the current course. The dentist said he has not got a tooth abcess but he has an 'infection in your face'. My son was feeling so rough he could barely speak but the dentist said he could help. This 'dentist' then drilled through a tooth from top to bottom hitting a nerve on the way (no local anaesthetic) and then told my son to press on the side of his face and the 'infection' would be pushed up through the tooth - yuck! He told my son that forcing the 'infection' out like this combined with antibiotics would solve the problem and in a few days he should go to his own dentist to have the 'drilled hole plugged'.

It was all a bit of a 'butcher job' by all accounts and the whole thing just sounds very odd to me.

Anyone with thoughts or advice would be very welcome.

Oh Geraldine, my first thought would have been wisdom tooth, but this obviously is not the case if they keep suggesting an infection of the face. I take it there is no visible 'head' to this infection - I fear he must do as advised, with the antibiotics and if he can tolerate any kind of pain relief just keep that up alternately with ibuprofen and paracetemol.

Your young man has my every sympathy and to be no further forward with any kind of diagnosis must be very frustrating for you all.

Does slooshing with hot salty water give any relief? It's the only think that helped my pain when I had all 4 wisdom teeth out. My Brother in law is a dentist, and I can ask him if you like?

Sadly no and he was also told not to apply heat of any sort. But this 'pushing the infection out' which is revolting (LOADS of 'gunk' as come up through the hole in the tooth) surely suggests an abcess near that tooth?

He has followed instructions to the letter but the swelling is now bigger than it was this morning, it's mainly on the jawline (just one side) and spreads from the middle of his chin about half way up his cheek you would think he had a tennis ball in his mouth! We are guessing that swelling has increased due to the 'pushing the infection out' instruction. I know whatever it is isn't going to be resolved 'overnight' but this is now a week on from when it all started.

I would be interested to know if drilling down through a tooth is 'normal' procedure for such things, it all sounds a bit odd to me!! Couldn't they have 'drained the infection'

many thanks for the replies :o

Poor you...very worrying.

Maybe go back to hospital tomorrow if he isn't eating and see if they can give him something much stronger. My husband had his wisesom teeth out a few months back and he had had an infection for a long time under it. They gave him very powerful drugs to rid him of the infection. It worked so there might be stronger stuff out there for him at the hospital. I feel very sorry for him and you.

Hope he gets better very soon.

Redbase

Your description is exactly the same as the description a friend of mine gave me about her 15 year old son a couple of weeks ago. It is the second time he's had it. He had the infection drained through a tooth too.

She did say that she hoped that this time he wouldn't end up in hospital again. That makes me think that you should be going back to A & E if he doesn't improve significantly by the morning.

It all sounds like a very unpleasant experience. I do hope he gets some relief soon.

Your description is exactly the same as the description a friend of mine gave me about her 15 year old son a couple of weeks ago. It is the second time he's had it. He had the infection drained through a tooth too.

She did say that she hoped that this time he wouldn't end up in hospital again. That makes me think that you should be going back to A & E if he doesn't improve significantly by the morning.

It all sounds like a very unpleasant experience. I do hope he gets some relief soon.

Thanks upsy daisy.

It sounds as though your friends son was in hospital and had the infection drained through the tooth if I read your message correctly. I wouldn't have a problem with that at all, it's the fact they have drilled a hole and left my son to literallly squeeze/push it out through the tooth himself I find a bit strange. WIthout being too graphic the physical force required to push it up through the tooth is 'added pain' and I just don't know that he should really be fiddling about with it like this and I am sure it is making the swelling worse but then what do I know :o

No Geraldine, he was in hospital the first time but I don't know any more details than that. This time he went to the dentist and was left with the infection draining into his mouth and a course of amoxicillin.

It does seem quite barbaric doesn't it? Especially not using an anaesthetic. It is hard to sit back and watch your child suffer like that wondering if you should be doing more.

I hope things are better in the morning. Perhaps when he is lying down the infection will drain more effectively. I don't like the idea of him pushing it out either.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it improves quickly now.

Dear Geraldine

Your poor son! As I read through the dreadful description it reminded me that the exact same thing happened to my youngest son when he was about 10. A swelling appeared on one side of his face and to cut a long story short he had the tooth removed and I think he was put on antiobiotics too. It took a few days to settle down, but the tooth was not bad or anything, so we never really knew what it was. Bizarre! Never had it again and is perfectly healthy (now 26).

Hope your soon makes a swift recovery.

Lesley :o

Thanks again for all your replies :o

This morning we think the swelling is slightly less than yesterday - it actually gets a bit difficult to tell when you are looking at it all the time!

He said last night that for the first time he didn't feel 'ill' and the pain was now bearable so things are on the mend. His sense of humour hasn't left him as I have just seen his facebook status - he was supposed to be going to the football team Christmas 'do' last night but of course couldn't.

His status says 'Staying in on a Saturday night with a fat face -marvellous!' My eldest son in London has posted a message saying 'you OK little bro hear it's not been a good week' and the reply says 'Not the best and todays excitement was a trip to a medieval dentist who I am sure chose the wrong career - would make a great butcher'

ANyway enough prattle from me, thanks again to you all and hopefully he at last is really on the mend it's just been a long time coming!

Oh dear Geraldine, what a nightmare for you all. I'm glad he hasn't lost his sense of humour and that the pain is beginning to subside. I spent most of Christmas a couple of years ago in and out of A&E and the emergency dentist with MrsWeasley's dad so I know how difficult it can be to get treatment when you can't get to your own dentist.

Hopefully by the end of the week he'll be fully recovered and you can all enjoy a lovely Christmas. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Maz

Yuk! I can sympathise - had a horrible similar infection a couple of years ago. Oh the pain! :o

I went to A&E and was given a painkilling injection in the top of my leg and an emergency appointment with the ENT consultant the following morning. Same thing - "infection in your face".

Massive amounts of antibiotics which caused a kidney problem and another emergency visit to an out-of-hours dentist. He was lovely and did the "drill and drain" routine which is very unpleasant but he did say warm salt water mouth washes to draw out the infection and rinse it away (otherwise you can get infected tonsils/throat)

A very nasty experience in all but it did improve rapidly once the tooth was drilled. Hope he's better soon.

Nona

Thanks again for all your replies :o

This morning we think the swelling is slightly less than yesterday - it actually gets a bit difficult to tell when you are looking at it all the time!

He said last night that for the first time he didn't feel 'ill' and the pain was now bearable so things are on the mend. His sense of humour hasn't left him as I have just seen his facebook status - he was supposed to be going to the football team Christmas 'do' last night but of course couldn't.

His status says 'Staying in on a Saturday night with a fat face -marvellous!' My eldest son in London has posted a message saying 'you OK little bro hear it's not been a good week' and the reply says 'Not the best and todays excitement was a trip to a medieval dentist who I am sure chose the wrong career - would make a great butcher'

ANyway enough prattle from me, thanks again to you all and hopefully he at last is really on the mend it's just been a long time coming!

Geraldine...So pleased he is feeling better..your son sounds very brave. Hope things continue to improve and he will be up for his Christmas dinner on 25th. Keep us posted.

Redbase xD

I take back my criticism of the treatment my son received! The slight improvement is now rapid improvement :( Swelling still very obvious but 'in himself' he is a million times better - actually managed to eat a little today after a week on soup/yoghurt etc.

He was/is due to travel to Cumbria tomorrow (Christmas with his girlfriend and her family) and he may now decide to go having thought yesterday there was no way he could make such a journey.

My bet is that he will go a) because he wants Christmas with his girlfriend :( he has booked and paid over £100 for a train ticket with no refund option :oxD

Whether he goes or not remains to be seen I am just glad that he really is getting better at last :(

Hi,

So pleased to hear he is improving, I was really concerned reading his story earlier in the day. Hope he continues to improve and does get away for Christmas. Hope you can now relax a little bit knowing that he is on the mend, seeing our children (no matter what age they are) ill and in pain is so stressful isn't it!!!

Nicky Sussex :o

Oh Geraldine, how horrible!

I've only just seen this thread so started off feeling very concerned and now relieved that he's beginning to feel better.

One thing that did occur to me, though, was that if you're not sure whether or not the swelling is going down as you're looking at it all the time, maybe you could take a photo each day, or whatever and compare them directly?

I'm sure the fact that he's feeling more like himself is a great sign and the swelling will be the next improvement.

I did think about photographs but there was no way on this earth I was going to be allowed to take one let alone several for 'comparison purposes' :o

The improvement has been great and he left this morning for his planned journey to cumbria. He phoned a little while ago to say he is tired but fine and face 'ok'. I did my motherly duty of nagging him to make sure he finishes the course of antibiotics and he is being checked by a dentist later tonight so all is good thankfully xD