Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Which Present Would You Choose To Have Again?

Gezabel

What a wonderful stroll down memory lane this has been for me!!!! My best ever present was a farm and windmill that my father lovingly hand made for me. This is still in existance and has become a prized posession of my kids also. It has really made me reflect on the differences between my own Xmas experiences and those of my kids. I can't help but feel that my kids have really lost out in comparison ( despite materially getting so very, very much more).

P.s I also remember vividly my first bike, my tiny tears, my first tape recorder, and those small dolls (not barbies.......too tarty, but thinner and much smaller.....not polly pockets, but bigger......and yet as I am adddled with age, can't remember the name....was is Pippa?

Edited by eyfs1966

Little cardboard basket shape with about 6 tiny balls of wool and a pair of knitting needles anyone??? :oxD

Yes! I never did master knitting..... :(

I remember my dad making me a doll's house, too when I was about four - weren't we lucky to be made our own!

Otherwise, books, my first fountain pen, my first watch, books, the beautiful necklace my husband-to-be saved his car wash money for when I was 16 and books... did I mention books???

My best present last year was a new edition of Lord of the Rings from my son - the other was in tatters, but it's still by the bed :(

Sue

and those small dolls (not barbies.......too tarty, but thinner and much smaller.....not polly pockets, but bigger......and yet as I am adddled with age, can't remember the name....was is Pippa?

Dolly Darling? I still have mine!

There was a Pippa and a Patch, yes, my friend had those so she shared when we played.

The thing I would have again in a heartbeat was my tiny tears.....it was the new one that wee'd and I was so excited and my big brother teased me unmercifully saying things like 'it's only a lump of plastic' but not to me....it was my baby and my mum knitted so many outfits, she was a well dressed dolly.

The thing I asked for every Christmas for years and never got was a 'Mr Frosty ice crusher'. you put cubes in and it crushed the ice so you could make home-made version of a slush puppy.....it was deigned a waste of money but I wanted one and remember that sad feeling when I never got it.....that makes me sound so ungrateful because I did get other nice things but funny how you remember the one that got away so to speak.

The thing I asked for every Christmas for years and never got was a 'Mr Frosty ice crusher'. you put cubes in and it crushed the ice so you could make home-made version of a slush puppy.....it was deigned a waste of money but I wanted one and remember that sad feeling when I never got it.....that makes me sound so ungrateful because I did get other nice things but funny how you remember the one that got away so to speak.

We use one of these with the children sometimes - they absolutely LOVE it - why, I have no idea!!!!! Does that age me? :o

Well, I am really trying to think very hard about this. My birthday is that festive day too so I tended to get joint presents. I do remember having a Big Yellow Teapot and Big Red Chimney, I too had a post office. I had something called Shufflies too, little figuers with metal balls under neath them so they shuffled down their road platforms (health and safety nightmare!), in and out of their houses. Oh and I had something called a Keyper (a plastic rabbit and snail that you could open it's tummy using a key and keep stuff in it) which I was very fond of.

Oooh 1980's toys!

ppp

Edited by Guest

One of the games I loved and wish I'd never got rid of was one I actually saved up for and bought myself. It took me weeks! It was an Alice in Wonderland type game called 'One for the Pot' There was a teapot in the middle which you filled with water and each player had a teacup. As you went round the board and landed on the squares you were given instructions to add a certain number of sugar lumps, spoons or squirts from the teapot. You always had to do an extra one - one for the pot! When your teacup overflowed you were out. I have looked for it in the past but sadly haven't found it at a price I could justify!

I also had a Patch doll - she was Sindys little sister. Mine had a pony too!! I always wanted a tressy too - one of my friends had one and I was very jealous.

One Christmas I got a musical gonk. It was a beautiful pale blue furry thing with red vinyl feet. My brother over-wound the music box part on Christmas Day and it was never mended. xD

I also desperately wanted some matchbox cars and asked for them every Christmas and Birthday but since they were 'boys' toys I was never given any (and my brother wouldn't let me touch his! :( ) Again I had to save up my pocket money and buy them myself - my favourite was a bright red VW Beetle. I also had a beach buggy which was pink with yellow spots. :o

My final toy which I so wanted and eventually ended up with when I was 12 was a Girls World. Once I got it I realised it was rubbish - what a waste of a present!

A 3feet high 5 room Sindy Dolls house and furniture.

I remember my dad fitting it with real carpets.

I cried when i was 13 and had to give it away because my mum said i was to old for it!

I remember going to the little girl's house and playing with it at hers even when she was out!

Wish I still had it I think my girls would of liked it when they were younger

:o

What a lovely topic! xD

Geraldine I love your ideas for your boys! :(

Think my favourite ever present was my petite typewriter - loved it! I also just loved having new pens, pencils and crayons - I still have a real 'thing' about pens!!! :o

Oh pens, pencils crayons and anything stationary I still LOVE!!!

The gonks brought back memories too and who had those trolls?? I remember have big, small and tiny ones - one that went on the end of a pencil with orange hair ( well the troll had orange hair not the pencil!)

Dolls I loved and have just remembered I had one called Amanda Jane and she had her own school uniform complete with satchel

The gonks brought back memories too and who had those trolls?? I remember have big, small and tiny ones - one that went on the end of a pencil with orange hair ( well the troll had orange hair not the pencil!)

Dolls I loved and have just remembered I had one called Amanda Jane and she had her own school uniform complete with satchel

Yes the pencil troll.. mine had green hair and so did the bigger one I had...

and just remembered I still have my twin dolls... both of them.. couldn't separate them so i got custody when my sister moved abroad... and they are in dresses made by mum...

Inge

Yes I had the game One for the Pot - I remember the board getting a bit wet and having to let it all dry

Also had Tiny Tears and Teeny Tiny Tears which I still have. They used to get new knitted outfits every Christmas made by my mum and Grandma

Had a Pippa Doll and a Daisy - similiar to Sindy but loads of hair

Remember a Sweet Shop and scales

Loved Faraway Tree, Wishing Chair, Mr Twiddle, Millie Mollie Mandy, Famous Five, Nancy Drew, Secret Seven

Usually a selection box which seemed huge

My uncle made a doll's house for me and a pink needlework box on wheels which I have recently given to my great-nieces. My favourite toy was my 'Mama' doll. I also remember having a Vulcan sewing machine and a sweet shop.

A present for my soon to be 30 year old, would I think be his Henry's Cat jumper which I knitted for him and he often speaks about.

1. I always wanted to have horse riding lessons but I was aware that we couldn't afford them.... it's still on my list of things to master when I get some 'ME' time.

2. My dad made me a beautiful, polished and varnished go-kart in which my friend and I won the school go-kart race - I can remember the pride I felt that my dad had created such a beautiful and effective thing for me.

3. But most of all, I would like my mum back and her unconditional, selfless love .

Here's hoping all your Christmas wishes come true !

XXX

3. But most of all, I would like my mum back and her unconditional, selfless love .

XXX

Wouldn't that just be wonderful and I couldn't agree more I would give everything I own and more to have one second with my lovely Mum and Dad here again.

I think especially at this time of year we long for those we love and have lost but I hope my message evoked happy/nostalgic memories and didn't make people feel sad :o

Mine was a Tiny Tears Doll that my Grandad brought me for Chritsmas, my daughter now 23 played with it when she was little and I still have her in the loft awaiting Grandchildren. Not too soon! :o

I only have to look at her even over played with and looking a little outdated and memories of my wonderful grandad come flooding back! xD

My robot. It was mine dispite it being kept at my nans for all the grandchildren to use! It was black with doors that opened on the front and lights inside. By todays standards very basic but i loved it.

I still have my Tiny Tears, nan bought her for me when I ws 3 to take into hospital. Shes a bit worse for wear and hubby hates her, but she's my baby.

My best presents were the Rolf Harris Xylaphone, Chatty Cathy and Cheerful Tearful Dolls! You pulled a cord in chatty cathys back to hear phrases like 'I don't want to go to bed' and pulled cheerful tearful's arm down and 'real' tears came out!!

What I really, really wanted every year was a chocolate machine where you put a 5pence in the slot and the chocolate dropped out! I never ever got one and still mention it to my own family now lol :o

Thank you for bringing up memories of past Christmas's cosy and warm surrounded by family without a care in the world!

dottyp

What I really, really wanted every year was a chocolate machine where you put a 5pence in the slot and the chocolate dropped out! I never ever got one and still mention it to my own family now lol xD

dottyp

I'm really showing my age now :o I did get one of these chocolate machines and loved those little tiny bars of chocolate but mine took 1d - for the youngsters amongst us that's pre-decimilisation money and I can't work out the equivalent - except that 6d = 21/2 pence in 'new money'

I tried to find a picture of an 'old one' but the best I could do was this one where chocolate cost 2p

post-1999-1260644069_thumb.jpg