Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Indulge Me, Please!

narnia

Ok, I won't dwell on this, but if I might just take a few minutes of your time, I'd be grateful !

Exactly one year ago tomorrow,I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It's been a strange old year one way and another, some things have been scarey, some just weird and many things uplifting and humbling. BUT one thing I know for sure, finding and seeking help early on for the lump that was in my breast will have undoubtedly saved my life. So, if you only do one small thing for yourself tomorrow.......................however hectic your day might be....................PLEASE check those boobs!Don't do it for me.....do it for YOU! Any worries, changes, problems, don't be shy, get to your doctor asap to get it checked out.Thankyou for indulging me. Lesson over xxx :o

I often think of you Narnia, your cheerful attitude has been an inspiration to us. Funnily enough I thought of you today when I went for my routine mammogram, all that squashing is worth it I thought. The technicians were saying that some people just didn't turn up! What a shame when just a few minutes discomfort could save your life.

I will...and I will tell my four daughters to as well......Narnia your story has stuck with me probably because my dear friend was also diagnosed at 21 (double mastectomy- survivor) it is a constant reminder..not only of the reason to check to get treatment early on but also as a success, inspirational story.....thank you, keep reminding everyone...you are a star to do it...don't think yourself self-indulgent you are doing us all a favour by reminding us......THANK YOU....never met you but I love you..... :oxD:(:(

p.s seems like only yesterday when you told us all...

Edited by Guest

Sometimes I think we are so busily caught up with 'caring' for others that we forget to take a moment to 'care' for ourselves.

Thank you for the reminder narnia, and for sharing your inspirational journey of the last 12 months.

I am now going to write in my diary (because I look at it every day) on the 23rd of every month ....FSF BOOB CHECK DAY.

Peggy

P.S. IS ONCE A MONTH REGULAR ENOUGH TO CHECK??

yes, once a month is good,Peggy. The main thing is to get to know what YOUR boobs feel like.....and this is the bit that will help you should any lumps, puckering, discharge, pain or rashes appear. With me, it was my nipple pulling in.....as if i'd been wearing a bra that was too tight and I'd just squashed my bits!! And for a week or so, that's what I put it down to...except that things didn't 'improve' under a warm shower! So, any doubt, check it out! FSF boob day...great idea! :o

Edited by narnia

Often think of you Narnia and how you are doing...

and I hope you wont mind be adding something of my own here to remind all of you who have boys to teach them how to check themselves as well, from about 14 onwards is a good time to start.

Testicular cancer is more often found in young men and can be present or found from this age on... and is most common from late teens to mid 20s. If found early enough it is 98% curable , my son was 21 and lucky as he was taught to check and even then it had spread to his lymph nodes which meant extensive surgery and treatment... but has now survived 3 years ..

sorry Narnia for hopping in here but I do feel it is always good to highlight personal checks for men as well as women as it is less well publicised but just as important.

Thank you for reading..

Inge

Narnia, sharing your story with all its ups and downs has been incredibly brave of you, and very inspiring to read.

Hardly an anniversary you'd want to mark but if, by launching FSF Boob Day, you get one of us to seek early treatment of anything untoward it's yet another reminder (as if we need one!) of how amazing you are!

Take care and let's hope we'll soon be marking a year since you've been "in the clear" :o

Nona X

Often think of you Narnia and how you are doing...

and I hope you wont mind be adding something of my own here to remind all of you who have boys to teach them how to check themselves as well, from about 14 onwards is a good time to start.

Testicular cancer is more often found in young men and can be present or found from this age on... and is most common from late teens to mid 20s. If found early enough it is 98% curable , my son was 21 and lucky as he was taught to check and even then it had spread to his lymph nodes which meant extensive surgery and treatment... but has now survived 3 years ..

sorry Narnia for hopping in here but I do feel it is always good to highlight personal checks for men as well as women as it is less well publicised but just as important.

Thank you for reading..

Inge

Thanks for this Inge..will talk to my son about this as never crossed my mind to talk to boys about testicular cancer.

Redbase :o

• 1 month later...

Hardly an anniversary you'd want to mark but if, by launching FSF Boob Day, you get one of us to seek early treatment of anything untoward it's yet another reminder (as if we need one!) of how amazing you are!

Nona X

Seconded!

I went to see my GP on Thursday. Last night the phone rang and it was the hospital giving me an appointment at the breast clinic on november 27th.

Thanks Narnia :o

and thanks NHS who usually get a lot of stick but from GP appointment to seeing consultant in a week is pretty good

Thank you :o

For now it's a case of 'everything will be fine' xD and if it's not then I will cross that bridge when I come to it but have already decided that if that is the case then I aim to be as strong and positive as Narnia and also truly feel if cancer has to come and visit my family at all then I will be glad it's me and not one of my sons :(

• 1 month later...

I just want to add a plea that if you are sent an appointment for a routine scan - go. There are a surprising number who simply don't turn up. I went for my first one a few weeks ago and now know I have breast cancer. I have no symptoms at all and it wouldn't have been picked up without the scan so I'm so thankful I went though everything is a bit scary just now.

Al

My best friend is in the same position as you, no symptoms at all apart from a tiny lump that gave her no pain or other symptoms. She got it checked and within 2 weeks had a masectomy!

I hope all goes well for you Whitetree, let people help you, your friends will want to feel they are doing something whether it be making soup, listening, or sneaking a costa latte into the hospital!

Stay positive and make sure you surround yourself with positive people.

S

Thoughts and prayers from me too. Thank you for bringing this up to the top of the pile again. None of us are invincible and should be rigorous in checking.....