Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Moon Landings, Do You Have Any Special Memories

sunnyday

Well....only the 'oldies' amongst us will have 'special memories'...so not expecting a lot of replies there! xD

Does anyone think it could all of been a hoax?..........oh I really hope not :(

My 'special' memory is of staying up to watch it with my dad...my brother, sister and mum not interested - all in bed......my dad and I rarely saw eye to eye at the time......with hindsight I can now appreciate that he was unwell and a wayward teenage daughter was all he didn't need (and I was pretty wayward! :o )

Anyway this was a moment we got to share.....just the two of us! He was absolutely passionate about all things 'space' and he passed that on to me. After he died we discovered that he had kept all of the newspapers covering the 'space race' ...needless to say...I have them now - if i could just remember where I have stored them I might get them out and show them to my grandson...hmmm...wonder if he would be interested.....I know that my sons took them to school when they were covering 'space'.......

I remember, reluctantly, that I was just fed up when they cancelled Dr Who the next day to show parts of the landing (well I was 10 and they didn't have video recorders back then!). As someone who did Astronomy for part of their degree obviously I must have evolved a little in the following decade! :o

A sceptic came to Lewes to give a talk on whether or not to believe in the moon landings recently, sunnyday (in fact he was on the Today programme this morning). They videod it and have it available online. It's very long so you probably won't want to watch much of it, but here's the link. Make of it what you will! xD

Thanks Steve - I will look at that tomorrow.......not tonight...as I am enjoying a very happy memory!

'Mr Sunnyday' who is two years older than me has no recollection of the moon landing being anything special in his house.........apparently all he ever 'stayed up' to watch with his dad was boxing! :o

I can remember looking at the moon and thinking 'they're up there'!!!

A sceptic came to Lewes to give a talk on whether or not to believe in the moon landings recently, sunnyday (in fact he was on the Today programme this morning).

Now I'm not at my best in the morning, but I thought this discussion this morning was one of the dullest I'd heard, given how exciting landing on the moon was then, and is now. It all seemed a bit half-hearted to me, as if neither really cared enough to be bothered to persuade the other that they were right. Maybe they're just not morning people either!

Maz

PS Have absolutely no recollections of the moon landings - I would have been six at the time. Obviously wasn't a big thing in our house!

Well....only the 'oldies' amongst us will have 'special memories'...so not expecting a lot of replies there! :o

Does anyone think it could all of been a hoax?..........oh I really hope not xD

I was watching a program about it and basicly they said that there would of been so much to fake and the special effects costs would have been astronomical it would have been easier and cheaper to actually sent someone to the moon than to fake it but my big question is why havent they explored the moon more than a few trips? (im sure some clever clog on here knows why?)

must admit for the first time in ages that this is something that happened before my time, my big brother was 8 months old horray something I am too young for!! thank you Sunnyday I feel young again!!! but I am a little jealous that you have memories of something so monumental in history definately something to be proud of tales for the grand children an all

Guest Mrs Tiggy Winkle

I do remember being MADE to stay up and watch it in our house ( I would have been 5, brother 7 ) and really being fed up that it took sooooo long and was quite boring too!!!

But at least now I can say yes I saw it!!

i remember staying up to watch it with my mum and younger brother - we sat in the back room ( front room was only for best in those days) in our dressing gowns sipping hot chocolate - as i remember it took a long time and the pictures werent that great - but i did see it live !

I was almost 7 by then, but I don't recall seeing the TV transmission. I am sure I probably did so, together with my dad, because we liked all of these types of programs.

I do recall making these paper craft modules of the landing structure, which was part of the Burger King's children's mealbox. I have tried to find it via Internet, but I don't find it... so I wonder how it was called.

the cheek of it! just cos they stuck their flag in it!

Exactly - that was his reasoning...well he is getting double 11+ revision this afternoon - what should I torture him with - Maths, English, Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal reasoning?!!!

I was 16 at the time, well into astronomy, so my poor family had to suffer. I cried buckets, because I knew I'd never get to do it, because we weren't American and had no money to speak of (as I've discovered since, NO MONEY> full stop)

Now, I feel a tremendous sense of awe that I was actually there, and interested, in a moment of total history. A bit how I feel when folk talk about Apollo 13 - I remember fretting at school about the fate of those three!

And as for the 'big lie' brigade :oxD:( with BIG noises!

Sue

PS - do you get the message, it was important to me?

Yes ...me too Sue...and I remember the whole Apollo 13 'episode' vividly........

My dad had a great saying...."this is history in the making"........have said to my own children soooo many times......

If and that is a very big IF...it was all a hoax.......I hope we never, ever find out....

It was momentous - it happened and so much we take for granted came from the space race.

Teflon

freeze drying food

blankets that you use at the end of marathons......

The technological advances from the space era were so important for us.

I'm a true child of the 60s!!!!

Cx

I wasn't born then :o , but I am very envious that I wasn't able to watch something so incredible live. What extraordinary times. And, no I don't think it was a hoax and if it was I'm sure we will never find out!