Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Aid Kit

Hi - don't know whether this is a silly question!! Does anyone have a list of items which are statutory in a first aid kit for an Early Years setting? I've recently renewed first aid cert and we were told there were 7 things which are

1. Triangular bandage

2. Sterile dressings

3. Plasters

4. Pins

5. Alcohol-free medi-wipes

6. Disposable gloves

and that's only 6!! Either they missed one or got the number wrong!!

I am having to re-stock our first aid kits currently and wondered if any one could give me some guidance on what we MUST have but, also, what you all would recommend/ have found useful!! Many thanks.

Hi Annie-pops. Hmm yes, in our policy from the PSLA there's quite a list - I'll be back with it for you!

Here you are

The First Aid Kit

Our first aid kit complies with the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 and contains the following items only:

 Triangular bandages (ideally at least one should be sterile) - x 4.

 Sterile dressings:

a) Small (formerly Medium No 8) - x 3.

:o Medium (formerly Large No 9) – HSE 1 - x 3.

c) Large (formerly Extra Large No 3) – HSE 2 - x 3.

 Composite pack containing 20 assorted (individually-wrapped) plasters 1.

 Sterile eye pads (with bandage or attachment) eg No 16 dressing 2.

 Container or 6 safety pins 1.

 Guidance card as recommended by HSE 1.

In addition to the first aid equipment, each box should be supplied with:

 2 pairs of disposable plastic (PVC or vinyl) gloves.

 1 plastic disposable apron.

 a children’s forehead ‘strip’ thermometer.

amusing that item b is a smiley!

Edited by Cait

Hi Annie-pops, we also have packs of sterile gauze for cleaning wounds, you get a wad of about 5 or 6 in a bubble pack. We also have knee and elbow plasters and sterile eye pads,and sterile eye wash. I was also advised on a first aid course to have the type of scissors paramedics use to cut off clothing, not little nail scissors, if a child gets caught on a bramble bush or something you would be able to cut them out with tuff scissors.

We also have a fever scan, a Mr. Bump for small bumps and bruises - he is in and out of the fridge some days just for the sheer hell of it!!

Also don't forget your adults needs.

We were told no safety pins as all bandages require to tie knots rather than using a pin. Also no scissors because a first aid kit should be child friendly should they ever need to get the first aid kit-the chances all staff are too ill to get to the first aid box are extra slim but who am i to say anthing :o

samfrostie xD

We were told no safety pins as all bandages require to tie knots rather than using a pin. Also no scissors because a first aid kit should be child friendly should they ever need to get the first aid kit-the chances all staff are too ill to get to the first aid box are extra slim but who am i to say anthing :(

samfrostie :(

I love it!!

Do you recon we should have 'nominated children' that have to do mini first-aid training as back up??? :oxD:(

I couldn't even begin to think about some of my children being let loose with bandages to actually do something constructive with them like bandaging up a leg!!! If we were all so ill we couldn't get to it--what a random thing to say, oh well lets hope we are never in the situation where all 5 staff are struck by illness :o

samfrostie xD

Edited by samfrostie

We were told no safety pins as all bandages require to tie knots rather than using a pin. Also no scissors because a first aid kit should be child friendly should they ever need to get the first aid kit-the chances all staff are too ill to get to the first aid box are extra slim but who am i to say anthing xD

samfrostie :(

The scissors are child friendly really, they are quite strange looking things, they have rounded ends and they are not like what you would think of as adult scissors, but they are very tough., if you had to cut something quickly, like a cord, or clothing or a child tangled in something they would be excellent. Don't know about safety pins, I didn't think they were for securing bandages anyway but if you had forgotten all your macrame training perhaps one or two might come in useful.

We let the children loose with any expired sterile bandages and that's always a fun morning! But just for a child to be able to get to the first aid kit would break a couple of risk assessments :(

I'm sure if all the staff were wiped out by some strange mystery illness most of the children would have been too, and I don't see how any of the stuff in the first aid kit would help any of them :(

Who comes up with these wacky suggestions :o

A hair scrunchie! If you need to give mouth to mouth you dont want long hair falling all over your face or your patients.

Always remember to replace anything you use too and check it each term.

But just for a child to be able to get to the first aid kit would break a couple of risk assessments :o

We have been told the first aid box should be at child's height so that they have access!! So many different people tell you different things as usual.

samfrostie xD

Sorry but really how ridiculous!! Who thinks up these things, our children cant reach our first aid box anyway. I think if we have to start putting in plans for all adults in the group rended imobile at the same time, well to be honest it leave me speechless!!

We have been told the first aid box should be at child's height so that they have access!! So many different people tell you different things as usual.

samfrostie :o

In that case, if you really wanted to follow this, frankly insane suggestion, I would have 2 first aid kits, one child friendly and one real one. xD

I fail to see what help a first aid kit would be to an adult who was rendered immobile. Surely if we are planning for the children to be doing anything in that situation they should be dialling 999!

Edited by AlisonP

LOL! It's always the same The 'rules' at any given time depend on whose job it is to make it up that day methinks!! The list I was given was supposedly "statutory" (inc the pins!) but nothing surprises me!! Maybe the 'pins' is colloquial for 'legs' so you can run around like a headless chickens!!

Thanks all for your suggestions. I think it's a case of "they'll tell you what you can't do, or how not to do it but you can never get a straight answer when it comes to definitive advice on what to do and how to do it. I think this applies to a lot of areas of childcare and particularly with regard to those whose job it is to come in and 'advise' us! Has anyone else noticed this?????

good politicians the lot of them, never answer straight question with a straight answer, avoid an answer at all costs in case they are wrong..

And are alcohol wipes allowed now.. never have been in past, a big no no for first aid kits...

we bought a H & S kit with all needed for a set number of employees and added the child stuff.. we had a resus mask child sized,

and when out of date which seemed very fast they all went into the children's doctor role play.. lots of fun...

Inge

Unbelievable isn't it!! One member of staff used to swear that our advisor's main purpose was to filch any good ideas she could find as she would just walk around taking photos of things and then say she'd liked something and could she possibly have a photocopy!!

And are alcohol wipes allowed now.. never have been in past, a big no no for first aid kits...

Inge

We would only use alchohol wipes for extreme emergency procedures - like no rubber gloves, to clean our hands with, or to clean any "instruments" with quickly.

we also put in some tissues/kitchen roll in case of nose bleeds and also put an accident sheet and pen in bag so can write up accidents at time - only used if we are away from room eg play area which is few minutes away from room.

From the sublime to the ridciculous!!! Don't we have a resident Ofsted inspector member??

Well I have decided to put aside all of my plans for today and appoint a new child sized fire marshall, named first aider and suitable person, that way I know me and all the staff can be struck down with swine flu or any other pandemic that comes along :o better get on with it now infact, you never what could happen on a tuesday morning!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)