Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hairdressers Role Play

Hello everyone..

Im going to change my role play over the next few days into a hairdressers. Does anyone have any ideas on how to set it up? xxx

Empty shampoo bottles (obviously washed out!), mirrors, combs, magazines showing hair designs, hairdryers, till, money, appointment book, ribbons, scrunchies, the little brushes you get in hair colour kits, bowls, towels, self sticking rollers, disinfectant for the end of the session (nits). Cardboard boxes to make overhead dryers. LOts of photos and pictures of people having their hair done.

I used to have my hair done by a little girl who would wrap my shoulders in a table cloth and give me alovely hair do using the chop sticks and knives and forks from the home corner. And then the playleader shouted across the room for me to get on with some work! Kinda stumped me then :o

Do you remember those 'girl's world' heads where you could style and cut the hair? Don't know if they still make them but that would be a fun addition.

You could also have a kind of reception area with phone, appointments book, till.

Do you remember those 'girl's world' heads where you could style and cut the hair? Don't know if they still make them but that would be a fun addition.

You can still get them but they are a ridiculous price.

Can't think of an alternative though.

Our local hairdressers passed on all sorts of things they no longer wanted including large posters; old hairdryer and straighteners which we cut the wire off of; combs and brushes; rollers; magazines so well worth asking.

I would also reiterate what Rea said about checking the bottles. When I took over running the playgroup, there was a box of hairdressing stuff already there which I know had been used on many occasions. One time we were horrified when 2 of the boys were playing hairdressers and one had opened the shampoo bottle and was shampooing the other boys hair! There was a small amount left in the bottle. It just hadn't occurred to me that it had never been checked before! :o Luckily mum saw the funny side of it.

Guest MaryEMac

We often have a hairdressers. One of our assistants is a hairdresser so she supplied some things. Just a word of warning, be prepared to go home having forgotten to remove various clips and rollers. :o I've had a few funny looks as I have walked through the village.!

Mary

we also had hairdressers capes and some caps that are used to hold rollers in overnight type things... brooms, and some of those twisty pink things... used to make ringlets.. went home with thm inmy hair one day... oops... lucky I didn't go shopping after the session and went home...

we had a whale of a time with this one...

Inge

We have just set up our role play area as a hairdressers.

We have got lots of clips, slides, scrunchies, bands, combs, brushes, shampoo and conditioner bottles, plus two heads that have hair that the children can brush and style.

There is also a desk with mirror, I think its a toy dressing table and of couse plenty of mark making resources.

Tomorrow we are going to wash the dolls hair in the water tray so that should be interesting !

We had a little boy who washed his hair in the water tray last week, so may have to keep an eye on him otherwise he could try and have a bath !

Motherclangerx

we have this

-head of doll hair world lol

hair brushes

shampoo-lid secured with sellotape

scissors

clips

bobbles

waiting area

aprons

appointment sheet

till/change

key language of sparklebox

we have this

-head of doll hair world lol

hair brushes

shampoo-lid secured with sellotape

scissors

clips

bobbles

waiting area

aprons

appointment sheet

till/change

key language of sparklebox

SCISSORS!?????

We have lots of combs and brushes and a hairdryer and some straighteners; they don't have plugs on them any more and we talk about never playing with real ones that might be hot

lol sorry i didn't clarify-we have pretend ones out of a hairdresser's set ha no blades-jee that wud be intresting lol

We put in a few old comics to be read while the customers are waiting. We also have a few wigs - must be from Lazy Town Dress Up they are bright pink and some hair extension clips from the Barbie range - Claire's Accessories if you have one, oh and a member of staff who had 3 sisters and who is absolutely great at french plaits for the girls. I also knew another group who had a collection of my little ponies and the children brushed the tails etc. on those! Watch out for those boisterous boys too, they like to play guns with the hairdryers!

look on sparkle box website, they have good resources i.e. posters, appointment sheets, signs on hairdressing which you can download.

in our setting the hairdressing role play box is probasbly the most popular with girls and boys alike

we also have a showerhead with ours and real straightners and hairdryers (electrical cable cut off)

hair dresing magazines too as well as all the above thats already been mentioned

When we did this some time ago we invited a hairdresser dad in to show us how it was done. He had a girl's head on a tripod that trainee hairdrssers use and a real hairdryer. Spray bottles are a must and he supervised the children when they had a turn with the real hairdryer, blowdrying the model's hair.

It was one of the best hairdressing role play we had ever done. He allowed the children to play with the models after his demonstration and they had a ball. I walked home with a long, hot-pink, bendy roller in the back of my hair!!!! :o

Could you also pull the heads off some old dolls that you don't use (or buy from a charity shop) and let them loose with some kiddy scissors? I bet they'd love to actually restyle the hair for real.

Could you also pull the heads off some old dolls that you don't use (or buy from a charity shop) and let them loose with some kiddy scissors? I bet they'd love to actually restyle the hair for real.

:o Are you Sid from Toy Story in another life? xD Does anyone remember gonks? I used to love styling their fur when I was little and my daughter loved her trolls. :(

:o Are you Sid from Toy Story in another life? xD Does anyone remember gonks? I used to love styling their fur when I was little and my daughter loved her trolls. :(

Sid from Toy Story - that made me laugh out loud!!!

Gonks - no I'm far too young (not!)

Sunnyday

What fabulous ideas! Im really excited about this one as Im going with the children's interests. The other day I found one little girl leaning back onto another little girl's lap who had a towel around neck and she was pretending to wash her hair. They said, "We are playing hair cutters!" So that was what helped me to decide my next role play.

Thank you for all of your ideas xxxx :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)