Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Flu Pandemic

Hi All - does anyone mind sharing their policy regarding "flue pandemic" - we have been trying to get on the course for this but have had no luck - if anyone does not mind that would be really really great - thanks Dot

Hi Dot - we don't have any such policy and I didn't know there was any training on offer.

I would assume that if this flu situation worsens we would be issued with appropriate advice.

About 20 years ago we had a little boy with meningitis in our pre-school - a terrible experience - think I aged about 10 years overnight! - Should say that he made a full recovery.

We were swiftly contacted by our local Health agency and the childs GP - everyone who had been in contact with him had to be alerted (my job to contact them all) and were provided with the appropriate anti-biotics - apart from the awful shock and worry that this caused and the dreadful task of having to contact parents and staff to explain the situation I was extremely impressed with how quickly things were drawn together and acted upon.

Hope this helps - will be interesting to see what others have to say.

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

As a first step I would have a really good look at your Infection Control Policy and make sure that everyone has a good working knowledge of it and that procedures are adhered to. Also, a reminder to parents about your exclusion period should a child become ill. A child with flu like symptoms should not be at a preschool setting and should not return until fully better.

One of our members posted a link to a video a couple of years ago about 'Sneeze on Your Sleeve'. It produced much hilarity in our family but now myself and three of my children automatically sneeze into our sleeves. My husband has always scoffed at it, saying the advice was a nonsense, but I was pleased to see that this was exactly the advice being advocated on the BBC news last night.

Eeeew - I shall now refer to you as Beau Silver Sleeves!!! - only joking!

I wonder if anyone else has children who come into pre-school with 'cloth' hankies - ugh! - A particular pet hate of mine - I have had to ask parents on many occasions not to do this - filthy things - often get left on table tops, in the sand tray etc.etc.

I imagine infection control procedures will be at the forefront of many peoples minds right now.

Sunnyday

I have something I've downloaded from some website or other that is specific to dealing with a flu pandemic in the early years - I got it out and looked at it this morning - anyway I can't remember were and when I got it but the front page refers to 'Every Child Matters' so might be able to find it through their website.

I shall look for more details tomorrow - unless someone else has the link and can add it berfore then.

xxx

Loved the video - I use Henry the Hand for handcleaning lessons with the children and it uses the same advice.

I've looked at the other links but have a "cover-all" statement in my policies that says "it is impossible to write policies for every eventuality. Instructions issued by Local or National Government on potential health issues will be followed"

Nona

- just looking at the document I downloaded fron Inge - this is going to be really useful - I know that our local authority has been running courses on this - ie we decide if the pre-school opens or closes - if staff are ill we will still have to pay them, but if we are closed then no fees - I iknow a local pre-school where parents are happy to continue to pay fees even if the pre-school closes because of a flu pandemic.......................anyhow good to be up to date with flu pandemic - none of us know where it is going..................................thanks Dot - will look at other downloads later

Have just opened email from our insurers - Morton Michel - to say that we will be covered for loss of revenue if we were to close because of an outbreak of 'swine flu'.

Presumably you have loss of revenue coverage as part of your policy, Sunnyday?

I think we're in danger of suffering from a policy pandemic. :o That said, having a policy in place for such situations takes the pressure off if the worst should happen doesn't it?

I'm off to write my "Owner's Nervous Breakdown" policy... xD

Maz

Presumably you have loss of revenue coverage as part of your policy, Sunnyday?

I think we're in danger of suffering from a policy pandemic. :o That said, having a policy in place for such situations takes the pressure off if the worst should happen doesn't it?

I'm off to write my "Owner's Nervous Breakdown" policy... xD

Maz

My post re the insurance was intended to convey irony as in - everybody's at it!!!

When you have written your 'Owner's Nervous Breakdown' policy - perhaps you could share it with me!!!

Sunnyday

I just rang PLA Insurance Department. As a sessional pre=school with Cover type 2 we are not covered for loss of revenue xD An additional premium of £330ish (!!!) may be possible to take us to cover type 5 but they said they are still awaiting confirmation from the underwriters that they would cover loss of revenue due to a flu pandemic......

Does anyone else get a mental picture of a man with a handknitted green cardy, eating hobnobs, when they ring the PLA insurance department or is it only me?!? :o

Does anyone else get a mental picture of a man with a handknitted green cardy, eating hobnobs, when they ring the PLA insurance department or is it only me?!? tongue.gif

Totally! And can anyone explain why we can't get the insurance certificates sent out for the start of the cover period? And why when I rang this week for an email to confirm our cover was in place after a sharp comment from someone at our LA, they still haven't sent it?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)