Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Shall I Buy From Ikea?

I'm off for a trip to IKEA in half term and I hardly ever go, so I wondered... what have you got for your settings from IKEA that is really great? What do you recommend? And is there anything that you've bought that you thought would be good that has been disappointing?

Looking forward to hearing from all you IKEA addicts!!

Hi, You may already have one, but the pop up igloo tent at £4.80 has gone down a treat in my class - an absolute must, especially at this time of year!

I would send you a photo of my winter display on bears using it, but I don't know how to attach a photo - sorry this is my 1st post :o

Breakfast :o

I second that recommendation on the igloo. I was there on Saturday and I thought the childrens dept was a bit lacking and not inspiring. There were adverts up for new products arriving in April so maybe theres new stuff on the way. The Lack coffee ables are on offer at £3:99 and I'm going to buy 4 for our outside area-wide choice of colours

Lack coffee table

Our children like the 'real' knives and forks in the home corner

Knives and forks

Three blind mice for our song sack

Mice

Not sure what age you have but we use these (reception) with tapestry needles for fine motor skill threading but they are small

Beads

also check out the finger puppets and the small valour bags

Guest tinkerbell

The finger puppets have been good fairy tale and fish

I bought a small green table for £4.50 and it has been great for the listening centre

blue and red storage boxes have been great

small plastic boxes in sets of 3?with hinged lid are excellent for storing dough

blackboard/whitemagnetic board has been excellent the children love it

mosquito net for over bed ,dyed it with food dyes and it is our under the sea octopus cave (rainbow fish)

tea lights for divas

postcards with numbers and fruits have been good for displays

i am sure i will think of more

i tend to buy stuff in sales and think of things to do with them later eg lace curtains=butterfly wings

Tinkerbellx

I can only suggest the chalks which have been fantastic in our setting and cheap which is very handy when they practice throwing and launch them into the puddles on the carpark! Could I be cheeky though - I need to source some low level bookcases which can be folded flat by flipping up the shelves. If they have any at Ikea could you let me know so I can convince my other half we need another trip there?

Thanks. And if anyone else knows of somewhere they have such a thing I would be also very grateful.

Hi, You may already have one, but the pop up igloo tent at £4.80 has gone down a treat in my class - an absolute must, especially at this time of year!

I would send you a photo of my winter display on bears using it, but I don't know how to attach a photo - sorry this is my 1st post :o

Congratulations on your first post - and welcome to the forum, lyness2005

Ooh I'm jealous, haven't been to Ikea in ages and then when I went on the website there's loads I'd love to buy- the igloo tent would be top of my list without a doubt

You've probably already got these but they are essentials- plastic cups, plates, cutlery- children love the colours and they are remarkeably durable, until of course the head of school over road spies your collection in v hall and assumes they're hers so takes them! Got them back though but was quite bizzare!

We've also got lovely fish mats which brighten up our quiet corner (which sadly consists of simply horrid blue gym mats surrounded by display boards and a bookcase) and their cuddly toys are always a hit

Happy spending, let us know what you get :)

We've got the fish mats too and a large round blue plastic table with small pink stools and two plastic chairs - one red and one green. They are very strong and if they get crayon etc. on them it scrubs off without too much effort. They were definitely worth the money. The fish mats also wash well. :o

Last time I went I got the pop up igloo - very very popular with my class, some hanging shoe holders which we are going to use to store paper and card in small tubs in our outside area, some more of those fab plastic boxes with hinged lids that come in different colours to store things at the writing table and some more for keeping buttons and stones in at the maths area. I also cannot leave without cardboard coloured storage boxes and they had some lovely shaped tins - I got some cylider tins that nest inside one another and some larger rectangular shaped ones - not sure what for but couldnt leave them there. I love IKEA and am like a small child in a sweet shop! Must go in half term!! :o

Fantastic for us in the South- The Southampton Ikea opens this week.... yeah- no more trips to Croydon for use then and only 35 mins from home.

I agree with take more money than you think- you always spend more than you think.

L

Fantastic for us in the South- The Southampton Ikea opens this week.... yeah- no more trips to Croydon for use then and only 35 mins from home.

I agree with take more money than you think- you always spend more than you think.

L

Yes, but it'll make getting to the Isle of Wight ferry a blooming nightmare! :o

Couldn't agree Lorna - I'm already planning my half term trip next week to the new Southampton store and even better hubby has a parking space nearby for work. So I won't need to brave the car park hell.

i live in southampton and cant wait for the store to open - the ideas you have put forward sound great and i cant wait to go!! think will go on the bus and arrange time for hubby to pick me up - thats if all will fit in the car!!!!

will go on the pretext of looking for work and who knows whar else may land up in my trolley

i love ikea tooooooo

we bought some rugs for our story and book corners really good value

also have cutlery set and also other kitchen items as i like real things in the home corner

i love the other ideas on this thread too so i to will be going??

I love Ikea products, although I have not visited one yet!!, members of staff at my work place also love it and go quite regualr and buy lots of fun and brightly coloured textiles, soft toys, etc and practical things too.

We love the coloured cutlery, plates, bowls, cups for the children!

We have lots of Ikea kids cushions too and soft toys.

And lots of the netted hanging thingys (lol dunno wat they are called) with the different slots, some with three, some four or five to put things in - like cuddly toys and stuff.

Maybe we need an Ikea gathering as well as an education show gathering? Who's for meatballs and dime cake? :o

Maz

But Rich has banned me from Ikea - he says I spend too much money and put the cars suspension at jeopardy! xD

• 4 weeks later...

ok so my nearest ikea is only 300miles away but because i have to fly there I get the stuff that goes flat..on my last dubai trip they had some great pop up red treasure chests complete with velcro padlock.....a few fitted in the case ....smiling sweetly at check in always helps ( check in with a man not a woman , they are way more amenable)

Mx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)