Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Closure

Hi everyone,

Due to the snow we have had to close for today and possibly tomorrow. Does anyone give the parents the money back for that day? Its outside factors beyond my control so not sure if i should or not?!

we do give parents the money back as they wouldnt pay it anyway even though it is not the fault of the nursery however we dont transfer the funded sessions to another session

killowengirl

Thanks guys! Apparently the signs are its going to have to be closed tomorrow too because there is another snow storm on the way but guess we just see how it goes..I so wanna open tomorrow!!!!!

Hi

We are also closed...not from snow but boiler problem! WI apparently knew it was dodgey and didnt inform us :o . Not sure when it is to be fixed but they have called out plumber.

How does this work with funded children then? Thought we had to offer a minimum number of sessions etc.

Some parents not happy this morning thats for sure.

We're closed from snow too yay! xD as much as I love my job of course! :o

We also have policy that parents get money back by adding/crediting on next bill, don't think funded have session rolled over though...can't remember if staff also lose out too, it has been a year since snow last closed us- pants if we do lose days pay but never mind cuz its snowing wahoo!lol x

I used to give non funded parents token to the value of the missed session, to use at a later date of their choice, rather than refund 'cash'. Funding was not carried over to another session (I think this was the advice from our LEA, but don't quote me :o ).

I paid staff for closed days.

So, are you all writing your 'snow' policies now? xD:(

Peggy

We've had to close today, possibly tomorrow as well- will depend if any more snow. I will credit non funded children (only got 1 this term) for the session on their next bill. As for funded children, cant be helped- circumstances beyond our control- schools wont do an extra day for it. Staff will be paid, not their fault we're closed either

Hi we have also closed too. I like Peggy's token idea which I think Iwill do. I will also pay the staff. Can anyone tell me if we have to contact Ofsted or anyone else (apart from the parents of course!!) and let them know that we have closed??

Cath

Hi - we also closed today! Hardly any snow, but, like Marley, we turned up for work this morn and only one boiler working out of the usual two, so everywhere warm in church centre except hall (about 11 or 12 degrees. So we have spent morning sitting in the Monday morning cafe drinking tea!!

I can't imagine OFSTED will want every single setting that is closed today to ring up! I would just make a note of it in the register with an explanation of why - these things happen from time to time and can't be avoided. :o

We decided to close today, but only after opening and then finding only 2 parents turning up!

Surely, on this basis, no monies should be refunded except to the 2 parents that turned up and the 3 parents that bothered to phone. All members of staff turned up expecting to work. If parents had bothered to phone, they would have known we were open.

I did say to my deputy that maybe a lot of families wanted to spend today together , considering we don't see snow very often, and if that's the case I don't think it should be to the cost of the pre-school. Am I being harsh?

We decided to close today, but only after opening and then finding only 2 parents turning up!

Surely, on this basis, no monies should be refunded except to the 2 parents that turned up and the 3 parents that bothered to phone. All members of staff turned up expecting to work. If parents had bothered to phone, they would have known we were open.

I did say to my deputy that maybe a lot of families wanted to spend today together , considering we don't see snow very often, and if that's the case I don't think it should be to the cost of the pre-school. Am I being harsh?

You were there to open and only closed due to lack of children, so in this case I too would still charge the fees as usual,same as if they were off ill or on holiday...not your fault parents failed to bring the children in.. (except as you say to perhaps credit parents who bothered to contact you...)

Inge

hi i agree we went to work and only one child turn up ,not one parents phone in to see if we was open . wonder if i,ll get paid for turning up although we never opened . we would of done if more children turn up could you imagen opening for just one child what long morning it would be . i wished more turn up wanted build snowman my fmailys all grown up :*< .trying to pesuade my son of 19 to venture out for walk with me lol .

Hi all,

Just to add to the replies, would you credit parents who get childcare tax credit, or get help towards childcare, how can you police this, staff have to be paid, morgage etc if all parents are given credit where will the money come from? :o I work in a day nursery.

I went in this morning and all my staff managed to get in. And all but 3 children came in! But I have closed this afternoon and tomorrow as the forecast is for more snow and it's treacherous around here - I couldn't even get my car off the drive so gave up and walked. Staff will get paid and we will issue credits to the families.

I have been unable to make it in but 4 members of staff did and 2 children!! Tricky re the payment procedure though, we are providing care for those who really need it! We are expecting more tomorrow apparently, 1 snow filled day would appear to be enough! I don't think i am going to get in tomorrow either, i don't fancy driving it and the transport isn't going to be any different.

We were open as usual with only 2 children missing - one with broken arm and dunno why the other wasn't in but Mum rang. So we all got our things on and went out to play in the less-than-an-inch of snow. Within 2 minutes 5 children were crying to go back in, and then 3 more wanted to go in - anyway, 3 children stayed out with me throwing snowballs. HONESTLY!!!!! what are these children like! "I wanna go in........." Huh, very dis-chuffed

We opened as normal as staff and most children are within walking distance. We had a great time building snow men, throwing snowballs and just enjoying the snow, it was a fab morning.

Hmm, you obviously don't have 'wussies' at your Preschool. Still grumpy about that.

Cait: let it go. Breathe deeply: in 1 2 3 out 4 5 6 7 8 9 10. Feel the resentment drift away. Your shoulders are getting more relaxed and the tension between your eyebrows is easing. Go and make some scones to cheer yourself up! :o

I will let it go, after one more rant! How on earth can we do outdoor play - freeflow or whatever if we have a room full of wussies!

(PS we still had one turn up in little strappy shoes!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)