Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

S.e.f.

Cait

Next question!! :o

I have completed the SEF and have it saved in a word document on the computer and have a printed copy.

Having now got the OST from OFSTED we are about to submit an online version.

For those of you who have accessed it online I wonder whether it is possible to have the online 'window' open alongside a word document and then just copy and paste???

<fingers crossed someone knows the answer and that it's going to be yes!!!!!!!!!!!>

Just wondering if I am in for a bit of a typathon tomorrow!!

Just wondering if I am in for a bit of a typathon tomorrow!!

Not sure about having both open and available on the screen at the same time but you can definitely cut and paste between the word version and the online version...

I've certainly cut text (or rather copied) it from the online version to stick into my word document.

Well don you for completing - let us know how the cut and paste job goes!

Maz

I have been working on my sef all day (I'm at home with a cracked rib) and I am finding it very hard to know how much to write in each section, it is easy to get carried away and not know when to stop, also it's very hard not to try and sell yourself, obviously you try to do the best you can and if it is possible to improve you will. Sometimes you cannot see how to improve but you know that someone coming into the setting will imediately see how you can. Maybe we should all ask someone to come in and tell us but then it wouldn't be self assessment would it. Oh dear I think I am just looking for excuses not to get on with it!

Have I got it right, the whole of section 4 is from the child's perspective?

Have just printed off a blank copy of the SEF, and thinking about filling it in.

I was given a password from OFsted, but seem to have mislaid it. :( will have to ring and get it.

How often do we need to fill this in, is it a one off document that we need to be continually updating, if so how do we do this on line.

If I don't fill it in online, do I send my copy to OFSTED or what. :o

GOD I AM SO P?@@ED OFF WITH ALL THIS PAPREWORK :wacko: :(xDxD:(

How often do we need to fill this in, is it a one off document that we need to be continually updating, if so how do we do this on line.

The guidance says it should be updated at least yearly, however I would think that you need to review it periodically (and especially when something changes). I am going to agree review dates for each section of the SEF with the staff so that we are looking at one particular question/area with a view to updating the SEF on a given date. That way whenever Mrs Ofsted shows up she'll have the SEF as well as access to our review schedule when she arrives. And personally I think that will make it much more manageable than re-vamping once a year.

I think you can just go into your saved SEF, edit it and then re-submit.

If I don't fill it in online, do I send my copy to OFSTED or what. :o

If you can't do it online, you can download a copy in Word, and (once you've saved it of course xD ) then print it off and send it to them. Obviously this is a more difficult task - because you'll have to reprint the whole thing whenever you do an amendment, and post it off to Ofsted.

Does that help, BrendaS?

Maz

This morning I rang ofsted, having suffered so many sleepless nights and preoccupied days worrying about the flippin' thing. I asked if I could email them my QAF action plan instead and was told, you don't need to have your SEF emailed, you can have it on site to show to the inspector on arrival at your setting; if you want to email your QAF action plan, thats ok, send it here and we'll forward it to your relevant office.

Our QAF started last April, I think, and has been reviewed twice since then, which we do by hand. It is kept in our Operational plan. I will complete the SEF but it's taking such a long time & we're due an inspection any day now & I'd rather make sure I'm up to date with the children's files, the admin and ensuring our photographic evidence is on show for parents alongside the childrens work on the walls.

I don't have a problem with self evaluation and I'm sure we all do it subconsciously anyway, my problem is the lack of time. I barely see my children these days and when they're in I'm usually stuck either in front of this pc or my laptop doing work.

I'm going to have a cup of tea now and a weep.

i have written lots of bullet points on mine. My problem is that i am not very good at putting it into words. the post where someone said about handwashing is brilliant we do that but i probably would not have wrote it like that.

i hope we are not going to be penalised on how they are written. some people are really good at selling themselves.

my job this half term is to get it on the computer in proper sentances

angela

Not sure about having both open and available on the screen at the same time but you can definitely cut and paste between the word version and the online version...

I've certainly cut text (or rather copied) it from the online version to stick into my word document.

Well don you for completing - let us know how the cut and paste job goes!

Maz

Errr it didn't :(:( the cutting and pasting that is!

I reduce the OFSTED site window and had my saved 'word copy' open alongside. It wouldn't let me cut and paste and I tried everything :( Just out of interest I tried it the other way (copying from online box to a word doc.) and still no joy.

but..... the good news is that it is now all done online but .... I haven't clicked the 'submit' button!!!!! :o

As far as I can see there is no spell check facility on the online version so I just need to read it through again to check for typing howlers xD

Still intrigued how you can copy and paste and I can't - i thought it was the type of site involved but must be my computing skills (well lack of them!!)

Still intrigued how you can copy and paste and I can't - i thought it was the type of site involved but must be my computing skills (well lack of them!!)

I'm intrigued now - will go and see if I can do it with mine now!

Congratulations on getting to the end, Geraldine!

Maz

Well it worked for me Geraldine! Sorry. :o

I opened my Word document, highlighted and copied the text in the usual way. Then I went to the website, opened my SEF, clicked on the appropriate box, did a 'control v' and pasted the copied text into the box. Then I saved the SEF as normal.

What did you do?

Maz

I went on some SEF training last week and was advised to use bullet points. The advisors said that the last thing the SEF should be is too wordy, so bullet points are ideal - with a reference to where the evidence could be found.

E.g. when describing the setting you can list the quals of your staff and then say that copies of certs are in staff file. Or when setting out how views are gathered could bullet point that you do questionnaires, staff apprasials, children's questionnaires/pictures, etc and then state where copies are kept.

Cheers

RR

Well it worked for me Geraldine! Sorry. :o

I opened my Word document, highlighted and copied the text in the usual way. Then I went to the website, opened my SEF, clicked on the appropriate box, did a 'control v' and pasted the copied text into the box. Then I saved the SEF as normal.

What did you do?

Maz

I did the same xD:(:(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes:

I did the same :oxD:(:(:( :wacko: xD

Actually no I didn't and now I think I am going to cry :rolleyes:

I tried right click and copy from the drop down list but it wouldn't let me right click on the online version.

Then I tried Contol C to copy and control v to paste and nothing

but just gone back again and guess what...

if i copy by right clicking and using drop down list and paste by using control v it WORKS

I have spent all day on and off typing the whole silly thing not made easier by the fact that my left arm is in a splint so though i have use of my four fingers I can only type for fairly short periods of time in one go .. soo as I said I think I am going to cry!!!!!

sooooooooooooooooo wish we had this conversation this morning Maz I could have saved soooooooooo much time!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)