Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moving over to the early years outcomes yet?

Helen

Has anyone adapted all their observation and assessment documents in line with the new outcomes, or have you stuck with the dev matters order? Is anyone being advised by their LA that they should move over soon?

No, yes and no! :1b

Did have a brief discussion with my SIP - her take was "just have a copy to show that you know about this" - I already had that in place! :1b

I have stopped referring to 'Dev. Matters' in my children's Learning Journey folders - I sometimes add a 'Links to EYFS' statement or three! ;) :1b

I refuse - yep that was refuse to alter too much at the moment - I can feel (in my water) that there are more changes afoot :ph34r:

This should be an Ofsted year for me - so wonder where my 'Devil may care' attitude will lead me :blink:

This new document is - in my humble - a waste of paper........

Oh dear that was a bit Miss RantyPants - apologies........

• Like 11

With you all the way Sunnyday - we are long overdue the knock - last inspection 2008 - at this rate I will be trained up and perhaps can inspect myself xDxDxD

Oh and when you've 'inspected' yourself perhaps you could come and inspect me - well not me - my setting! xD

2008 - goodness - it may not be an 'Ofsted year' for me at all then! :blink: :1b

• Like 2

Back on track now - In answer to your questions Helen - we are sticking with DM at my setting - my LA suggested that we ensure that we are aware of EYO and have a copy at the setting and produced a similar document to yours showing the slight variants.

I have briefed my staff team so that they are aware of EYO and the variants but have also stressed that along with DM we also use other developmental benchmarking tools from other sources including ECAT and Early Support.

Having just updated everything to reflect DM I am loathed to change it all again and am like many others beginning to get a little change weary and jaded - have just downloaded the new Ofsted grade descriptors and had my LAs new Early Years Strategy - both within the last seven days - I was about to undertake a full re-evaluation of our setting practices with a view to doing a complete overhaul of our SEF and am quite relieved that I haven't found time to do it yet this term given that both the documents that I was looking at have already been replace - at this rate I shall be meeting myself coming backwards and forwards !

• Like 1

This stuff drives me mad. How do you know about the Early Years Outcomes? I have only heard of them on this forum. I am the Head of Early Years. Why haven't the government sent them to my school. How are you supposed to know when something has changed? Drives me mad!!!!!! My local Authority are rubbish and support almost non-existent.

TBH i thinnk there is so little changed here i trhink you would need an eagle eyes inspector to spot it! (thanks Helen for the link...brilliant)

I think all we need to remember is that this is not a tick list this is about expected developmental norms....something we should all know about anyway...we could equally use any developmental chart to assess against. This is not about crossing off each 'Item' as soon as you see it, it is about knowing that child and where they are at. the way we create our learning stories should be flexible enough to cope with this and encourage our practitioners to be knowledgeable about development.

• Like 3

This stuff drives me mad. How do you know about the Early Years Outcomes? I have only heard of them on this forum. I am the Head of Early Years. Why haven't the government sent them to my school. How are you supposed to know when something has changed? Drives me mad!!!!!! My local Authority are rubbish and support almost non-existent.

There are no hard copies of anything any more, because it is too costly to reprint when changes are made.

Signing up to websites for alerts is the best way. LAs don't get any secret info either - we find out about it in the same way anyone else does and can miss things just like you. There is so much coming out of the DfE at the moment it's very hard to keep up!

Cx

Today through networking (on facebook haha!) a childminder today had an inspection and was told she HAD to be following the new outcomes as the dm is no longer in use.

We have been told by our LA to now use this (pah whatever!)

Well we all know that BOTH are non-statutory guidance but knew childminders are struggling as I think it's all a big shock to them keeping up! Hey I have no idea how I would keep up if it wasn't for spending all my spare time looking :(

Edited by Berryred

Today through networking (on facebook haha!) a childminder today had an inspection and was told she HAD to be following the new outcomes as the dm is no longer in use.

Yes,true for the inspectors. However when I trained we were told that a setting could be using anything they liked - it's the process of tracking development not the development tracking document that matters and as far as I am aware that is still the case. After next week's training I may know differently but until then I'll be ignoring any imperatives that have no written documentation to back them up.

Cx

• Like 3

At a recent Manager's cluster meeting (1st October) our LEA said to continue with Development Matters. Didn't even mention that we needed a copy of Early Years Outcomes in the setting (although had already printed a copy). They seemed to think that it was for Ofsted more than practitioners. Not planning on changing any paperwork at the moment unless LEA change their mind.

• 1 month later...

This is a document for inspectors, though- inspectors have to use the Early Years Outcomes to track/assess children's development at an inspection, but there is still no instruction from the Department that settings have to.

Guest lucyevans

Yes hopefully you're right, but there seems to be a lot of confusion about this at the moment. Early Education sent this to their members about it:

Some of you may have seen Ofsted’s November newsletter, with its misleading statement that: Inspectors should be aware that Development Matters has been replaced by Early Years Outcomes. This is a non-statutory guide to help inform understanding of child development through the early years.

We have asked Ofsted to correct this and clarify that DM remains current as non-statutory guidance. DfE have given us a statement which makes this clear:

Early Years Outcomes is a non-statutory aide for practitioners and inspectors to help understanding of child development through the early years. It is a guide to typical development while recognising that children develop at their own rates and in their own ways.

There is also a range of guidance available to support early years teaching. This includes Development Matters which provides an approach to supporting the implementation of the EYFS. However, it is not statutory guidance and to clarify that we have migrated it from the DfE website to http://foundationyears.org.uk/, the site that 4Children manages as DfE’s strategic partner. This site is very helpful to professionals in giving access to a range of other non-statutory resources to support the implementation of the EYFS.

In answer to your specific questions, there are no plans to make Development Matters unavailable in future and early years professionals are free to choose whether and how to use it.

Yes thank you very much. Sometimes it seems that having made us dance to government/Ofsted's tune for so long they were just cutting us dead in the water to go it alone as pre schools were 20 odd years ago.

we are using DM but I have removed those particular words from any paperwork

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)