Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lycra

We already have a parachute but are looking to introduce a large piece of lycra/stretchy material for physical activities etc., Just need a bit of advice / help please - 

Does anyone use this already - if so

where did you buy the material from and what type was it?

how do you use it / where did you get your ideas from ?

do you find the children enjoy using it?

any other help / ideas would be great  - thank you in advance. 

On 21/02/2022 at 12:02, blondie said:

We already have a parachute but are looking to introduce a large piece of lycra/stretchy material for physical activities etc., Just need a bit of advice / help please - 

Does anyone use this already - if so

where did you buy the material from and what type was it?

how do you use it / where did you get your ideas from ?

do you find the children enjoy using it?

any other help / ideas would be great  - thank you in advance. 

Not gonna lie.... I think I'd just wrap the children it it!!!!      

I know our current cohort just wouldn't 'get-it' to be honest, and I'm not sure it's worth the stress. We do only have one big hall though so can't take small groups off to do actives like this.

• Like 1

We’ve had a big piece for years, purchased following training in developmental movement play, a lot of it was about forces, to be honest along with the giant scrunchie, yoga rolls and gym balls purchased on the back of said training it doesn’t come out much but it is fun, one child in each corner pulling and twisting it, pulled tight with a soft toy to bounce on it, I think I just bought it off ebay but you could try a fabric store.

On 23/02/2022 at 12:57, finleysmaid said:

I wonder how much stuff we have all bought because of trainings !???

We have a parachute...not sure the lycra would do anything it doesn't? i have used them in trainings before. There was a company that specialized in them try jabadao.org

although thinking a bit about this for our current cohort...I might try a big elastic? none of them pull or push

• Like 1

On 23/02/2022 at 12:59, finleysmaid said:

although thinking a bit about this for our current cohort...I might try a big elastic? none of them pull or push

Our are pretty good at pushing and pulling- that's my issue!  (Hmmm actually a big bit of elastic might be better the wrap them in 🤣🤣)

• Haha 1

On 23/02/2022 at 19:45, sunnyday said:

In my case that would be loads - I was always very easily led 🤦‍♀️🤣

yes i think i may also be in that category..managed not to buy a beat baby because they had run out yet still 10 years later i found myself checking them out the other day 😂

• Like 1

On 23/02/2022 at 20:10, finleysmaid said:

yes i think i may also be in that category..managed not to buy a beat baby because they had run out yet still 10 years later i found myself checking them out the other day 😂

Oooh - now, I mustn't derail the thread, but I loved our beat baby and more importantly so did the children!

• Haha 1

On 23/02/2022 at 12:57, finleysmaid said:

I wonder how much stuff we have all bought because of trainings !???

We have a parachute...not sure the lycra would do anything it doesn't? i have used them in trainings before. There was a company that specialized in them try jabadao.org

B****y loads, my staff are very good at coming back from training, convincing me we need this, that and everything else which rarely gets put into practice 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/02/2022 at 12:21, blondie said:

Thank you for your input - not sure that I can use a lot of these ideas !! Just looking for something different than parachute which the children love and usual ring games. What is beat baby? xx

Ooh blondie google beat baby - tis great well I think so!

On 24/02/2022 at 14:33, louby loo said:

Ive just tried googling it- it seems very 'closed shop' trying to find examples of it in action 😬 (I might just be very tired I've had to work 4 days this week)

Oh really - I could drive through the tunnel and give you a demo 🤣 we made our beat baby very special, she had a special bed (box) and she was kept out of sight until we wanted to use her!

Ah happy days...

• Haha 1

On 24/02/2022 at 12:21, blondie said:

Thank you for your input - not sure that I can use a lot of these ideas !! Just looking for something different than parachute which the children love and usual ring games. What is beat baby? xx

yes sorry very unhelpful really but try the website i suggested ...links to videos etc😉

Are they old enough to understand ‘what time is it, mr wolf?’

Tatty Bumpkin style of yoga storytelling? 

neither really Lycra or elastic, but just different ideas.  

oh there’s one we played sometimes with a long elastic that had a bead on, and they slide it round and hide it in their hand and the person in the middle had to guess who had the bead.  That was more 4-5 year olds though.  

Edited by Cait
  • Like 1