Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

refusal to wear masks

Tinytowners

I guess maybe if you're a full daycare with various rooms that act as bubbles it might cause an issue ?  For us, as a one room big bubble it's not really an issue as we do don't really have them in now (drop at door).  The odd one that needs to come in we do not make them wear mask- we already have the children in who are the super-spreaders anyway!

Visiting prospective parents wanting a show around I guess we would ask- but as we're currently full we're not doing show arounds anyway.  

so our parents are coming into the nursery only one at a time. The masks are needed as our corridor is less then 2 meters wide, although it's unlikey paths will cross we want to avoid risk if it happens.all our new policies and covid safe practices have been accepted by LA so i'm not worried for that. however this parent, (and others eventually i'm suer) just doesn't want to. I'm yet to speak to him myself I'm hoping he will be reasonable but if not the only alternitive is for us to pass the child to him. As anyone in a nursery office will know 5.30 to 6pm, there is no time to be doing this for multiple children in a 60 + setting.

5 hours ago, Tinytowners said:

t the only alternitive is for us to pass the child to him. 

Maybe this is his actual game plan?   It will be far quicker and easier for him if you give him the child. 

I know our parents are actually loving our new system, for us it works well- but I can see this is not practical with multi rooms full day care though

To be honest, if there is no valid health reason, whatever his reason and whether or not you could do something else for him, - my approach would be that this is our policy and parents either accept and abide by it, or they don't attend our nursery.  That may sound harsh but the whole point of the procedures we have all put in place is to protect everyone. I will always listen to parents requests and discuss anything with them, but will never allow them to dictate or insist on something or refuse to abide by our guidelines. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GFCCCC said:

To be honest, if there is no valid health reason, whatever his reason and whether or not you could do something else for him, - my approach would be that this is our policy and parents either accept and abide by it, or they don't attend our nursery.  That may sound harsh but the whole point of the procedures we have all put in place is to protect everyone. I will always listen to parents requests and discuss anything with them, but will never allow them to dictate or insist on something or refuse to abide by our guidelines. 

i have to say that i sort of agree. Masks are to protect everyone from the mask wearer....if he has this attitude he is likely to have this attitude elsewhere and therfore is at much higher risk of being a carrier.... maybe he needs to have this explained to him!!!!

We are full daycare and are taking children at the door and returning them to the door or garden gate, so no parents are coming in.  Our exception to this is parents settling new children but we have been able to do all of this outside so far.

I agree though, if that is your policy, he needs to abide by it.  I wonder if he is refusing to wear a mask in shops, on public transport etc.  Or whether he thinks the nice nursery ladies will let him get  away with it!

Here is the government guidance on face coverings:

Exemption cards

Those who have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering should not be routinely asked to give any written evidence of this, this includes exemption cards. No person needs to seek advice or request a letter from a medical professional about their reason for not wearing a face covering.

Some people may feel more comfortable showing something that says they do not have to wear a face covering. This could be in the form of an exemption card, badge or even a home-made sign.

This is a personal choice and is not necessary in  law.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

I have one prospective parent who won't do a bank transfer of fees ('I don't do online banking') and won't wear a mask to come in to use the chip and pin machine. I'm not taking cash so the child won't be starting until she backs down or goes into the bank and does it (they would presumably ask her to wear a mask?) etc. There is not an exemption; she just refuses to wear one.

5 hours ago, anju said:

I have one prospective parent who won't do a bank transfer of fees ('I don't do online banking') and won't wear a mask to come in to use the chip and pin machine. I'm not taking cash so the child won't be starting until she backs down or goes into the bank and does it (they would presumably ask her to wear a mask?) etc. There is not an exemption; she just refuses to wear one.

Oh my life - have we got a screaming emoji? 

• Haha 1

On 15/09/2020 at 10:44, anju said:

this is the type of attitude that is the hardest to reason with.  She's only making life harder for herself!

Have started passng the child to him (which is lucky that its in a rom which makes it easy to do) however parents have to walk through community centre to get to us and they will stop him soon enough. Next step is to refuse the child.

• Like 1

We still take cash payments from our parents,  i anti bac my hands beforehand and it gets checked and then put in a money bag. As far as i'm concerned handling the cash is no different to 'handling' their children (used in the broadest sense)!  or their lunchboxes or their rucksacks or changing their clothes or nappies. I don't see the difference really.