Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

furlough

currycraver

Hi folks,

I hope you are coping ok in these fast changing uncertain times. I am a small setting and we have had to close . We will be in receipt of the Government funding but many of our parents who would have paid for further hours cannot use them because of the Governments advice about self isolating. Therefore we are solely dependant on the government funds. I was hoping to be able to claim using the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme but it seems that I am not able to. I was wondering if anyone had found any other means of financial support.

Many thanks

29 minutes ago, currycraver said:

. I was hoping to be able to claim using the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme but it seems that I am not able to. I was wondering if anyone had found any other means of financial support.

Many thanks

Can i ask why you can't claim? (maybe i've misunderstood??)

I believe the government have said if you are claiming government funding ie Free Entitlement you are not eligible to claim this support as well... but I am not sure if that applies to Early years settings. A tad confused so I thought I would see if anyone has a better grasp of this than me. ☹️

I think it is a little unclear at the moment - seems to be conflicting advice. This is from the Early Years Alliance - watching their site for any updates!

• Whether early years providers can benefit from both the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme and ‘free entitlement funding’

Department for Education guidance for early years providers published on 24 March 2020 states: “Providers can access [the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme] while continuing to be paid the early entitlements funding via local authorities.”

However, concerns have been raised following general guidance for all businesses published by HMRC on 26 March 2020 which states: “Where employers receive public funding for staff costs, and that funding is continuing, we expect employers to use that money to continue to pay staff in the usual fashion – and correspondingly not furlough them. This also applies to non-public sector employers who receive public funding for staff costs.” 

The Early Years Alliance is currently seeking urgent clarification from the Department for Education and the Treasury on both points, and will update the sector as soon as possible.

• Like 1

just posted similar on another thread, it’s ridiculous they send out contradicting information, whilst telling us they were now looking into they also published a ‘furlough letter’ for members ...sort it out EYA!

I’m hoping it doesn’t mean us, my thoughts are it isn’t paid directly to us like schools who are given a budget from the public service purse for the year but that it’s the parents money and we just claim it in their behalf 🤞

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 2

The government has announced a package of support for workers and businesses which will benefit childcare providers.

The Chancellor has announced that childcare providers will be eligible for a business rates holiday for one year. That means non-local authority providers of childcare (registered with Ofsted and providing EYFS) will pay no business rates in 2020 to 2021, from 1 April. Local authorities will be working on this.

Nurseries in receipt of small business rate relief or rural rate relief will benefit from small business grant funding of £10,000. This includes nurseries who are eligible for a charitable status relief – they will also pay no business rates at all in 2020 to 2021.

Some settings operate from shared spaces which may now benefit from a 100% rates relief. We strongly encourage those shared spaces to reflect any business rates saving in their rent charges.

The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme means that for employees who are not working but kept on payroll, the government will contribute 80% of each worker’s wages of up to £2,500, backdated to 1 March 2020. Providers can access this scheme while continuing to be paid the early entitlements funding via local authorities.

The Business Interruption Loan Scheme will now be interest-free for 12 months (rather than 6).

This is from the government site....the original question regarding the query of whether we would get this i think came from an enquiry which should have been quashed as soon as this gov advice came out!

• Like 2

I don't know that it was them i think it was a question from a member and they just haven't caught up.

The government policy is Very clear. I really wouldn't worry about not getting it. If you want the evidence it's here in black and white!:)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures/coronavirus-covid-19-early-years-and-childcare-closures#funding

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, you have put my mind at ease! There just seems to be so many things changing atm and I am feeling swamped. ....I have seen discussions about not reading stories on line from familiar books which we use in the nursery normally so I will need to go and trawl through and find out more! 

3 minutes ago, currycraver said:

Thank you, you have put my mind at ease! There just seems to be so many things changing atm and I am feeling swamped. ....I have seen discussions about not reading stories on line from familiar books which we use in the nursery normally so I will need to go and trawl through and find out more! 

Is that a copyright thing, do you think? 

Hi Everyone

I hope you are all ok - We are a small setting too that has had to close. I also feel swamped atm, so swamped in fact that I completely forgot to come to this lovely forum!

Would anyone please mind sharing their thurlough letter? I have tried looking for templates, just not sure how to word as I feel it's still up in the air a bit ...

Also - are apprentices entitled to this ? I have tried to find out without much luck.

Thank you

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greenfinch said:

Hi Everyone

I hope you are all ok - We are a small setting too that has had to close. I also feel swamped atm, so swamped in fact that I completely forgot to come to this lovely forum!

Would anyone please mind sharing their thurlough letter? I have tried looking for templates, just not sure how to word as I feel it's still up in the air a bit ...

Also - are apprentices entitled to this ? I have tried to find out without much luck.

Thank you

my husband may know the answer to this one but i've thrown him out on to the allotment...i'll get back to you. I have sent a letter to the staff asking if they would accept furlough (as it is a change in contract you have to ask ! ) but as the alternative is you might not get paid then i think i know what they will answer

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Cait said:

Is that a copyright thing, do you think? 

Hi Cait..there was a discussion on here last night about this Yes it is to do with copyright but i don't think any author would be too worried at this time! however there are loads that have given permission (on google)

• Like 1

Oh don’t  forget to come here ...but so much taking up headspace at the moment I even forgot to feed my dragons (and I don’t mean real ones) 😂 

the info from my apprentice college was can furlough with the other staff so I have (or will as soon as portal Is open), you’re welcome to see the letter I sent, Dinky Ones kindly added one to their website, I just adapted that slightly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Oh don’t  forget to come here ...but so much taking up headspace at the moment I even forgot to feed my dragons (and I don’t mean real ones) 😂 

the info from my apprentice college was can furlough with the other staff so I have (or will as soon as portal Is open), you’re welcome to see the letter I sent, Dinky Ones kindly added one to their website, I just adapted that slightly.

Thank you! 
Don’t forget your dragons!🤗

Edited by Greenfinch
  • Haha 1

On 3/31/2020 at 11:42, finleysmaid said:

yes the portal is going to be interesting ...doesn't open till the end of the month and it's the start of a new tax year:o:/

and I'm sure we all remember what happened when parents first started claiming their 30 hours!! To be honest I think its going to be a nightmare- trying to claim it- the world. and his wife (or in this country anyway) are going to be trying to claim back wages, all at the same time!

• Sad 1

On 3/31/2020 at 10:53, currycraver said:

Hi Cait, 

yes I believe it is a potential copyright issue. But again I am not sure! 

I spoke to the product support team here who have been asked this in relation to reading stories to send via Tapestry and they said:

There are exemptions to copyright for teaching purposes, more details on these can be found here. The thing which is unclear is whether they would apply in the situation of remote homeschooling, which for the entire country is obviously unprecedented, but if a case came up it seems unlikely that a court would rule against schools and children in the current situation.

We feel that as long as you are uploading your videos to a private educational focused platform (such as Tapestry) and not Facebook or Youtube, you have valid educational reasons for sharing them, and aren't actively trying to profit from the works you are sharing, then it's unlikely any action would be taken against you.

We personally feel that the benefits of sharing stories with children at the moment outweigh the small risk of legal action against the school, but if you are concerned about this I would recommend that you seek advice from your local authority or independent legal advisor before proceeding.

One other option is that a few authors have made it publicly known that they are offering free licences to read their stories during the lockdown, so it may be worth investigating that.

I'm sorry that I can't give you an entirely definitive answer, but do let us know if you need anything else!

Hope that helps

Sue 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2020 at 11:33, Greenfinch said:

Hi Everyone

Thank you

There was information provided by the governement on their website at the end of last week to say that yes apprentices were included in furlough. I will try and send you the exact link asap.