Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

End of Two Year Checks?

Some of our parents have said that they are no longer offered a Progress Check at Two from the Health Visitor.  It seems there is a cut off date when they will no longer be offered so some of our two-year-olds have had them, but some have been told their child won't have one because of their date of birth.  I hadn't heard anything about them being phased out and we're concerned that they are stopping.  Has anyone heard anything about this?

Oh that's interesting Stargrower - I was wondering (quietly to myself) why my youngest grandson had not been summoned for his two year check, he turned two in November

I really, really hope that they are not being phased out - will watch this thread with interest

• Like 1

this from the NHS website

2 to 2-and-a-half years

At 2 to 2-and-a-half years your child will have another health and development review. It's best if you and your partner can both be there.

This is usually done by a nursery nurse or health visitor, and may happen at your home, baby clinic or the children's centre.

If your child has started going to nursery, playgroup or a childminder, the review may be done there. You, your health visitor, your child's early years keyworker or childminder will all do the review together.

You'll be sent an ASQ-3 questionnaire about your baby's development to fill in before the review. Your health visitor or your child's keyworker or childminder can help you with this.

This review will cover:

Page last reviewed: 9 February 2017
Next review due: 9 February 2020

• Well the red underlined bits jumped out for me...since when has it been 2 to 2 and a half??? and has anyone ever done a 2 year old check with an HV??????????????!!!!!!!

© Crown copyright

• Confused 1

One of our HVs mentioned it was all changing, it sounds like more focus will be put on the 3yr check again to tie up with school readiness and the delays in toilet training etc which I think is better from our side of things as we are completing 2yr checks after they’ve already had them with the HV and when we think there is a problem everything is ‘age appropriate’, when I’ve queried chn who have missed their 2yr HV check we are told it isn’t a legal requirement that they have them yet so much emphasis is put on us having to complete the pointless paper exercise when if we have concerns we flag them anyway.

edit - the answer to the question FM is no!

Edited by Mouseketeer

1 hour ago, ladybirds1991 said:

2 year old health and development checks that the HV used to do by coming into the setting has been phased out here, the checks have now been moved to when the child is over 3 years of age, this came into effect in September 2019

We have never had a HV come to our setting to do checks.  The nearest we've got to any 'joint' working is a member of my staff going to the health centre to help a parent [refugee]  attend the ASQ appointment- and the HV didn't show any  interest in our paperwork/checks.

6 hours ago, ladybirds1991 said:

2 year old health and development checks that the HV used to do by coming into the setting has been phased out here, the checks have now been moved to when the child is over 3 years of age, this came into effect in September 2019

so do you think that the checks done at pre-school age will continue and the HV's will only do those few not attending a setting?? (good way of saving money i suppose!!!)

20 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

so do you think that the checks done at pre-school age will continue and the HV's will only do those few not attending a setting?? (good way of saving money i suppose!!!)

But we do nothing with our checks?  they just get stuck in the filing cabinet waiting for Ofsted to ask about them!  

Even if we spot a delay we can only advise the parent about what to do- so if they are in denial that's it!

2 hours ago, louby loo said:

But we do nothing with our checks?  they just get stuck in the filing cabinet waiting for Ofsted to ask about them!  

Even if we spot a delay we can only advise the parent about what to do- so if they are in denial that's it!

Wouldn't you pass them on to other agencies? like refer to SALT or organise Peadiatrician referral? maybe even refer to early help if needed??? do you not have a way of contacting agencies through your SEND dept or LEA? 

23 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

Wouldn't you pass them on to other agencies? like refer to SALT or organise Peadiatrician referral? maybe even refer to early help if needed??? do you not have a way of contacting agencies through your SEND dept or LEA? 

Unless we have the parents consent our hands are tied!  No one wants our 2-3 checks unless CP is involved. 

Obviously with a serious issue we would have to take some further action, but with general low level concerns all we can do is 'recommend they seek further help'!

SALT services are self referral by parents, our LA send department has been cut to the quick- we don't even have an area SENco that visits us anymore!  If the parent is in denial >:(.

Luckily are feeder schools are very good - and we make sure they are aware of our concerns well before the child starts.... but again without parental consent this is all done rather underhandedly  :o:ph34r: by inviting the teacher to  the setting ...... and well.... if they just 'happen' to see a child with S&L issues- what can I say!!!9_99_9

Yes the parental consent issue is a thorny one. most of ours will do a SALT call if we say so and downplay it  also we tell them how long the waiting list is so to do it now and then if they don't need it when it comes around it doesnt matter!! this seems to work ...i don't use the word therapy for my Polish families as they have an issue with this i just use help.:D

We tend to offer to do referrals for them and fill in the paperwork once weve got them to sign it off

Haven't had a senco visit for years either..we have a part time one for the borough (with less experience than myself!)

we do use the 2 year old check to talk through the info though which sometimes helps

it's all very frustrating.

Our SALT are now done via the parents visiting a 4-6 weekly drop in centre rather than phone calls now. :(.  Not really a positive experience for parents as they just have to turn up and wait, then hopefully they will be seen on the day- but not guaranteed.  They then have to wait for a full assessment if needed.

We had a fantastic area SENco, one that actually came up with ideas, suggestions, and more importantly got things done etc...... rather than the usual 'have you tried visuals'   o.O ....  

10 hours ago, louby loo said:

Our SALT are now done via the parents visiting a 4-6 weekly drop in centre rather than phone calls now. :(.  Not really a positive experience for parents as they just have to turn up and wait, then hopefully they will be seen on the day- but not guaranteed.  They then have to wait for a full assessment if needed.

Even these have been phased out in our LA.  It's now a very complicated and user-unfriendly online referral with nothing to say the submitted form has been received! 

5 hours ago, Stargrower said:

Even these have been phased out in our LA.  It's now a very complicated and user-unfriendly online referral with nothing to say the submitted form has been received! 

Ours is a paper referral but as you say nothing to say that this has been received - all such a shame - so hard to get help when needed now 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/01/2020 at 19:10, finleysmaid said:

this from the NHS website

2 to 2-and-a-half years

At 2 to 2-and-a-half years your child will have another health and development review. It's best if you and your partner can both be there.

This is usually done by a nursery nurse or health visitor, and may happen at your home, baby clinic or the children's centre.

If your child has started going to nursery, playgroup or a childminder, the review may be done there. You, your health visitor, your child's early years keyworker or childminder will all do the review together.

You'll be sent an ASQ-3 questionnaire about your baby's development to fill in before the review. Your health visitor or your child's keyworker or childminder can help you with this.

This review will cover:

Page last reviewed: 9 February 2017
Next review due: 9 February 2020

• Well the red underlined bits jumped out for me...since when has it been 2 to 2 and a half??? and has anyone ever done a 2 year old check with an HV??????????????!!!!!!!

© Crown copyright

We did few years ago, but they only came once and hard tk get old of after that.

• Haha 1

Our LA phased integrated 2 year reviews out over a year ago. We now have a page in the red book where we can fill in information regarding the 2 year review. This then goes to the health visitor for the standard review. We can request integrated reviews at 2 years 6 months if we have concerns. And contact the health visitor for information if we need it. Health checks were carried out at 27 months (hence 2-2.5 years) but are now closer to the 2nd birthday. We have always asked parents to take the 2 year review that we produce to their appointment, but of course it is up to them if they do or not. 

Apart from our integrated reviews stopping without notice (very frustrating when you have already booked a few months in advance), although this would have been out of their hands, our HV team (particularly our link HV) have always been very helpful and easy to contact. I actually only spoke to her this week regarding a child I had concerns about and she pulled his information up immediately and could tell me all about his 2 year and 9 month review.

With regards to them stopping altogether this is not something I have heard, I will contact our link HV to check though. I think it would be such a shame if they were stopping, 2 is a good age to pick up any difficulties.

HV checks have stopped in our LA as well. They are now doing them at 3 and expecting us to do a lot of what they did at our 2 year progress check. However still waiting for them to update the forms we have to use. Quite honestly I find this a pointless exercise. They dont go anywhere, just one copy to parents and one stays in our files. We'd only ever use it or refer toit if we had concerns and then we would be flagging these up anyway. We've had two inspections since these waste of time forms came into being- and neither time did the inspector ask to see one- last time she asked if we did them, but that was the extent of it. 

• Like 1

Well, for the first time in 10 years we  actually had an [unannounced]  visit from the 'health visiting team'.  They are now going to do the  integrated reviews with us!!! 

She was actually a very nice lady and took details, and she will arrange the meetings to suit us :)  This is only for the funded 2yr olds - but at least it's a start.

23 hours ago, louby loo said:

Well, for the first time in 10 years we  actually had an [unannounced]  visit from the 'health visiting team'.  They are now going to do the  integrated reviews with us!!! 

She was actually a very nice lady and took details, and she will arrange the meetings to suit us :)  This is only for the funded 2yr olds - but at least it's a start.

That's great news - I am impressed 

I'd be really interested to see how this works...who will lead it...who will write it up...how will any recommendations be handled and what if you diagree?  I hope also that you get an HV who has knowledge of childrens educational development as they sometimes don't appear to know what children should be doing and when. Look forward to seeing if this will be rolled out in other counties.

2 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

I'd be really interested to see how this works...who will lead it...who will write it up...how will any recommendations be handled and what if you diagree?  I hope also that you get an HV who has knowledge of childrens educational development as they sometimes don't appear to know what children should be doing and when. Look forward to seeing if this will be rolled out in other counties.

Well I have to say (fingers crossed) I'm impressed so far.  

Back in November we had our early years SEND  support dramatically cut, and last week we had a visit from our new "inclusion team' leader- she deals with 0-18/25 in our area. I asked her about a possible ASD concern and she muttered about what to do- with no clear answer other than maybe tell parent to see her GP.  The health visiting team lady came at 11am, I voiced my concerns to her about the ASD child, and  at 1.30pm we had an appointment sorted to start the assessment process the week after half-term. :)  (she also added she intends to gatecrash a cluster meeting I told her about- as she was annoyed that she hadn't been invited!!!!)

I really hope this partnership works well.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)