Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moan

OMG feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Spent the last few meetings asking people to put lids on pens, tidy shelves, keep the shed from looking like a bike explosion has gone off etc etc. Then as  usual I have spent last week tidying in the shed an hour in the workstation blah blah blah yesterday morning sheds all junked up again workshop baskets crammed with bits of paper that been used on both sides it’s endless.  Last straw came yesterday when I came down at lunchtime to find expensive wooden track been drawn all over all  dumped in the middle of the builder’s tray with the pens still with lids off (!)  no one had attempted to tidy it up or talked to the kids about it... and we’d had tidy up time. I don’t like confrontation which is part of the problem but had a real rant at staff meeting this morning practically burst into tears. Then I get a text message  from my deputy obviously sent to the wrong person. Saying what a bizarre staff meeting it had been and what an odd character I was.  Is it me am I mad for expecting someone other than me to give a toss?

Marsha  Feel for you.

Someitmes people do not like taking responsiblity maybe giving 1 person pen to putting back on responsibility an another bike building in shed responsibility might share the grief.

Then perhaps you can come of the medication!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry the truth is that, no one responds well to moans, its something I've learnt the hard way and it doesnt inspire people. Don't get hung up on the little things "Ranting and raving" / "raving lunatic" are phrases  that go together so  its professionalism that's required here.   Same as children, be specific in what you require,  positive praise sandwich if  it really is necessary, to criticise, but usually just ask members of team to  either find their own solution or to take responsibility for areas, like the shed, and  do specific things perhaps to put lids on with children. You may need to joyously model how you love finding the partners to the lids andhow fun it is and Instigate this as a game, depending on your team. You might have to reorganise room first or minimise content, as this might be the cause of chaos, but reflective practice might just show that a group of children are not potty trained and that needed more staff to keep popping off to the loo to help them. But if children's needs are being met you may also have to put up with a little mess in the interim,  everyone is learning. I'd find out what was happening, too,  folks respond better if asked how the day has been  and can focus on what they have done right that morning if its a child who  isn't settle for example that will take one person away from usual things. (rotas or systems can also help, but I think managers should be around to step in if needed to do whats required none of the work should be beneath us, and its all our responsibility but tidiness is not essentially my main priority.  Essentially how you behave travels down through the staff to the children. (they hear the conversations too.) Happy team and happy children.

Oh Marsha, I'm not surprised that you are upset

Not sure that I have any bright ideas for you, I am often heard muttering "am I the only person wo can change a loo roll, empty the bin...…."

Your deputy needs a 'kick up the proverbial', she should, in my opinion, always 'have your back' 

Hope that you have a better day tomorrow

Edited by sunnyday
who not wo
  • Like 5

I have to agree with Sunnyday- about your Deputy- 

I too seem to be the only one who can do certain things in my setting- 

Luckily my deputy is brilliant and does always have my back. I did once loose it completely couple of years ago and ended up reminding them all that it was not my private business, I didnt own it and was just an employee, same as rest of staff (we are committee run- or so rumour has it!) It did work for a while. 

• Like 4

Must admit I've had a bit of a moan this week too.o.O

I'd not be happy about the text though, and think I'd have to challenge the 'professionism' of it.

I'm very easy going,  although I have been told I have the most amazing  'death stare' that tends to scare people without me saying a word. 

I'd remove the felt pens and just get them out as an adult led activity. I read somewhere (sorry I can't back this up though) that felt pens are not good for learning pencil control as they take not real effort the make marks unlike crayons and pencils.

• Like 2

It sounds frighteningly familiar!  For years I have raged that no one else seems to see the leaves in piles outside the door, the bike explosion in the shed, the paint marks on the wall etc!  But recently my deputy seems to be seeing things as well, which is great and only this morning was moaning about how another member of staff had carelessly put the puzzles away in the cupboard. I wish I had a magic wand to wave for you an us!

• Like 1

Same issues - board puzzles with pieces tipped up in the cupboard having put them away on the edges rather than flat!  …  items stuffed in anywhere despite shelves and boxes being labelled (labelling to encourage children to select and tidy away but seems staff are immune to them!)...and resources being 'borrowed' and never returned to the room they went from or coming back seriously depleted.:(

its not so much the untidiness that frustrates -  its the damage and losses that occur as a result of this lack of care...keep having to replace things - and it gets tedious.  How can we expect children to respect the resources when the staff clearly do not!>:(

• Like 3

Sorry for the rant but had to vent!  Thanks guys. At least I’m not alone in my frustrations but why does it have to be so hard? Yes my deputy has firmly positioned herself in the ‘them’ camp which leaves me battling on my own. Still onwards and upwards.  Here’s to a better day tomorrow. 

You're definitely not alone!  I would say something to your deputy though...or maybe reply to her text :D

At my nursery, there is an odd sock sitting on top of a radiator cover.  I noticed in in the middle of August and have left it to see what happens.  I told my deputy and each day I say to her "Day 45 at xxx nursery.  The sock is still waiting" .  I'll keep you posted in a couple of months...9_9

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Stargrower said:

You're definitely not alone!  I would say something to your deputy though...or maybe reply to her text :D

At my nursery, there is an odd sock sitting on top of a radiator cover.  I noticed in in the middle of August and have left it to see what happens.  I told my deputy and each day I say to her "Day 45 at xxx nursery.  The sock is still waiting" .  I'll keep you posted in a couple of months...9_9

Oh my goodness! See I have tried leaving stuff for a while, but then I just cannot bear it anymore!  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stargrower said:

Oh my actual goodness :o reckon that will still be there next August then xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 5