Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

third in charge

Hi 

Can someone please show me where exactly it states it is a legal requirement to have a third in charge, I have run preschools and nurseries for 20 years and have not been aware its legal, I was of the understanding that it is personal choice of the nursery owner/manager but I am being told otherwise.

I think it's just good practice?  

I've only just nominated a 3rd in charge (because I now want more time off) But there has ALWAYS been myself or deputy in, most of the time both of us.

(Term-time preschool)

Edited by louby loo

have just read through the new inspection framework (yawn!) can't seem to find it in there! If I was away from the setting my deputy is in charge ...I wouldn't want to nominate another as both my other staff are similarly qualified...might cause some issues!:o 

On 7/22/2019 at 17:07, Emmawill said:

Hi 

Can someone please show me where exactly it states it is a legal requirement to have a third in charge, I have run preschools and nurseries for 20 years and have not been aware its legal, I was of the understanding that it is personal choice of the nursery owner/manager but I am being told otherwise.

definitely beginning to sound like you might have been given duff advice!!

• Haha 1

Thanks Ladies, it has ha me questioning my knowledge, I have actually contacted ofsted to as to cover myself and was told that it is not a requirement. Just got try to convince someone otherwise now!! as it will bring nothing but trouble to a setting that I am only just seeing a light at the end of the tunnel in with having taken it over with horrendous staffing issues and low morale.

43 minutes ago, Emmawill said:

Thanks Ladies, it has ha me questioning my knowledge, I have actually contacted ofsted to as to cover myself and was told that it is not a requirement. Just got try to convince someone otherwise now!! as it will bring nothing but trouble to a setting that I am only just seeing a light at the end of the tunnel in with having taken it over with horrendous staffing issues and low morale.

maybe ask where they got the info from as you would like to check it???doubt they are going to be able to provide you with evidence

Well I feel very honoured having had my visit from two of them last week. 🤪. I happen to like both of them as well as they are ‘real’ and don’t come up with lots of flowery ideas that you just know will not work!  I actually find the annual visit very useful.

Edited by zigzag