Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moving to school

I did post something similar a while ago but it looks like it will become reality quite soon so would like some advice.

I run a committee run pre-school in a village hall. In the village is a small first school. We have very few children and are finding it difficult to recruit new children. I know most pre-schools are suffering at the moment due to lots of different factors. We did think we would close two years ago but have limped on but I don't know how long we can carry on limping. I have 8 children of which 3 are 3 year old funded and 1 which is 2 year funded (this will come to an end in December and he will be 3 year funded which means losing money for him).  The school are also struggling for children - I sent them 2 for Reception this year to join another child and I think they only have about 12 children across the 3 year groups.

So, there have been mutterings and proposals (nothing concrete yet) which would mean us (the pre-school) closing and the staff being made redundant. The school would then open up a pre-school on their site (we would interview for our jobs. I have been told I am a certainty.....but never say never and all that). We would have a building for us but if we go early we would be put up in a classroom somewhere. They would like it to be more of a nursery school so only taking 3 & 4 year olds who may move up into their Reception. 

Has anybody got any experience of running a pre-school whilst being part of the school? I have been asked to do a list of pros and cons of how I can see it working and have a small list so far.

Also, I would be employed by the LA so would like to know how pay scales work and where I could expect to be.

It will be a shame for us to close as we have been in the village hall for more than 40 years but at least if we go to the school we will carry on.

Sorry for the extremely long post but I have so much to think about.

I came from an PVI setting but now work within a school, admin now though, not in the classroom.

Our local village hall pre-school closed early this year our small school didn't have a nursery and was struggling for Reception aged children, the pre-school had 5 children who were looking at starting at our school Reception class in the September but we knew if they went somewhere else between the pre-school closing & September chances were we would lose them, so the Head decided to open a Nursery class just for 15 hours in a morning and eligibility is for those who would be starting Reception the following academic year (3-4yr olds)

September has come along with just 3 nursery aged children it seems it isn't enough for most parents, they want 30 hours.

October we started offering 30 hours and it gave us 1 more child, it seems parents want more than 30 hours and we aren't set up for 'wrap around' for this age group.

It now also seems it's not enough to take just 3-4yr old children, parents want it from 2-3 years old (we don't have the space for that, unfortunately for us quite a few schools in the area do and therefore parents are going there!)

What is going to happen to the 2-3yr olds that you currently have? 

You say your group is currently quiet so where are the children going to come from? just because you are in a school doesn't mean that children will suddenly appear.

I can't help with pay scales as we used existing staff, sorry.

I wish you the very best of luck with it all, it seems like it's low numbers for all at the moment no matter what kind of setting you're from.

1 hour ago, thumperrabbit said:

I wish you the very best of luck with it all, it seems like it's low numbers for all at the moment no matter what kind of setting you're from.

That I can absolutely agree with !

such tricky situations for all of us at the present....seriously considering doing 52 weeks atm!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I can now update you all. 

We are closing at Easter :( I have just received my redundancy letter. The school are in consultation about lowering their intake age but my parents have been told that their children should just be able to move over to the school for the Summer term.  No indication of whether there will be any jobs going there or if they will just absorb the children into their staff ratios at the moment.  

I will be looking for another job and have seen one that's local, fingers crossed.

Starsdance

So sorry to read you're being made redundant and a setting is closing, hope you find somewhere you love quickly. It's worrying times, I am very concerned for our setting as it's not looking viable for much longer!

Edited by smudge65
spelling

Good luck with the job . Make sure you get your redundancy package sorted quickly If there is money in the bank account it will need to be allocated under strict principles, If you have an accountant I would suggest it might be worth checking with them. Get what you are owed! remember there are assets in the company too that will need to be sold and money may need to be put aside to sort out any building issues with the landlord

Sorry to read this starsdance, as others have said we’re hearing it far too often now.

We have never charged for anything but with the ever increasing gap between funding and our charge we can’t keep carrying the governments loss so our parents are in for a bit of a wake up call :-( 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)