Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Babysitting children

A member of staff has been approached by the parents of a child who left us in July to ask if she would help out with respite care for the family particularly during school holidays. 

We have always made it very clear to staff that they are not to babysit for children who attend the setting. However, do I have any grounds to insist she doesn’t do this for an ex pupil? I’m really not comfortable with this and understand the family have very little support.

anyone else had a similar situation? 

Oh I think that if the child/family is no longer connected with your setting that should be fine - also think there are only so many 'rules' that we can impose on our staff - will be interesting to read what others think......

(gosh an awful lot of 'thinking' going on in my post :D)

I don't have an issue with staff doing other jobs....I don't pay enough to argue about it! My deputy look after one of our after school club children because he has additional needs and she is fully aware of his needs. One of my other staff works for an agency in the holiday and I live in the village where most of the children live so have them around all the time! I can't really see the problem.....unless you don't trust your staff and think they are going to smack the child or be rude to the parents !!!!!:o

• Like 1

We don't have a problem with staff babysitting current children - as others have said, we don't pay enough to say no - and I would say it's none of my business. The 'rules' are that the staff don't wear their uniform, use any nursery resources or compromise their working hours to do it. Having been the parent who has employed my child's key person at a weekend for babysitting I can say it gave me much confidence that I knew that the relationship was already there.

We have no problem with staff doing other jobs for other employers (I have two other jobs outside of this job) - but babysitting for current families is absolutely not allowed under any circumstances - staff know it and accept it as a rule when they start with us. 

From my experience don’t allow babysitting if children still in setting😬. You will see that Staff member becoming to attached to the child in your setting and the parent constantly what’s to speak to her. Also The parent has now asked if the key worker can pick child from  nursery and take home now and when I said no this is not allowed the parent has become not so friendly with me! She has also offered the staff member a full time job!!!( with a higher wage) This member of staff has been with me over 7 years and It’s the biggest mistake I have made allowing it. 

• Confused 1