Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

End of year report to parents

What format do you all use for reporting each child’s individual  progress to parents?? We have used ‘my unique story ‘ for a few years (tweaking along the way) but we are thinking we are doing more that we need to. Can anyone advise? Thanks 

Hi, I can see you are new to the forum, so first of all, Welcome.   I am sure around the country there will be lots of different formats for reporting to parents, I have used the My Unique Story format for many years now.   As you say, it can feel a lot of work, I guess we are just used to it.   I hope someone else comes along that can help you.  You have certainly put your question in the correct place!

• Thanks 1

Hi ncosby and welcome to the forum!

after years of end of year 'reports' we have a found a more parent friendly format.  We Celebrate Achievement by completing a  - What. I am Good at.......and What I may Need Help With (just one or two things here).   This goes to Parents via Tapestry and Parents have the opportunity to add their voice before it's printed off for transition to school.  We also did a fun 'Interview' with each child with about 12 questions that was all about them - lots of fun!  Both have gone down well with Parents. Unfortunately our feeder school are not that interested in 'our voice' and baseline all children at 30-50mths regardless of achievement at preschool.  This new format is more holistic and positive rather than churning out info parents have already had via Tapestry over their time with us.  Was quick and easy too complete too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi ncosby! Welcome ot our wonderful FSF world :D

We use the report section on Tapestry and write a few sentences in the Prime area boxes. We leave the assessments in the Specific area boxes and put a brief comment if there is anything particularly note worthy (problems or high acheivers). We also write a general piece in the key person's box on the report. 

Hope that helps 

• Thanks 1

On 06/06/2018 at 22:31, Rafa said:

Hi ncosby and welcome to the forum!

after years of end of year 'reports' we have a found a more parent friendly format.  We Celebrate Achievement by completing a  - What. I am Good at.......and What I may Need Help With (just one or two things here).   This goes to Parents via Tapestry and Parents have the opportunity to add their voice before it's printed off for transition to school.  We also did a fun 'Interview' with each child with about 12 questions that was all about them - lots of fun!  Both have gone down well with Parents. Unfortunately our feeder school are not that interested in 'our voice' and baseline all children at 30-50mths regardless of achievement at preschool.  This new format is more holistic and positive rather than churning out info parents have already had via Tapestry over their time with us.  Was quick and easy too complete too!

Hi

do you have any copies of the things you do please as would like to change ours a bit too - don't think our local school take much notice about what we write but could give a new view ?

I used to interview children, or ask the parents to do it, to ask children what they liked doing with each child in the group, or particularly liked about them, or a funny story about them.  I typed these out and they went with the leavers report to parents.  It was as simple as 'I like Jenny because she has lovely bobbles in her hair' or 'Patrick goes really fast down the slide' to the more complicated 'Susan shares nicely with me and when I was sad she read me a story in the tent' 

Parents really loved these. 

• Thanks 1

That sounds like a really positive way of doing things Rafa!  We stopped writing reports completely as our local schools baseline all children at 30 - 50 months too.  I was upset by this when I was told, as it feels like it disregards all the hard work we put in and ignores all individual achievement.  So I'm afraid I adopted a "why bother?" attitude last year. :(

Time for a rethink!

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)