Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

suncream

Hi All

This is only my second summer of having a sunny garden.  Previous gardens we hardly muster a postage stamp of sunshine, so I don't have much experience of suncream.

I have altered the register to confirm applied when children arrive and we apply after lunch for children staying. We had one parent not wanting to put suncream on her child though today.  I've not had this before. Our garden is south facing with not much shade (especially now as leaves not grown on apple tree)  I am reluctant to stay ok then stay inside as we are very much an outdoor setting.  Any ideas.  Policy says suncream applied on arrival. 

9 minutes ago, diesel10 said:

Hi All

This is only my second summer of having a sunny garden.  Previous gardens we hardly muster a postage stamp of sunshine, so I don't have much experience of suncream.

I have altered the register to confirm applied when children arrive and we apply after lunch for children staying. We had one parent not wanting to put suncream on her child though today.  I've not had this before. Our garden is south facing with not much shade (especially now as leaves not grown on apple tree)  I am reluctant to stay ok then stay inside as we are very much an outdoor setting.  Any ideas.  Policy says suncream applied on arrival. 

Well your policy is important and it should be followed.   Did this parent give any kind of reason why they did not want to apply suncream?   Could they in future ensure their child has suitable clothing i.e., long sleeves, hat, etc.  then you could allow them outside without suncream.

Thanks Panders.  Good point. If any skin showing needs sun cream.  Long sleeves and hat with very large peek and flap at the back. 

I think its just the chemicals in the sun cream.  I felt the same when my children were little but I used sun suits / hats and one of the only organic creams available then Green People. The alternative is getting burnt, which I can't obviously allow to happen.

Parent hat on here. My daughter reacts to most suncreams (red puffy face and itchy arms). We don't know what or why and have found one that works but is £20 a bottle so I'm hesitant to send to nursery.

On super hot days I send her in with long sleeves and leggings. Plus her sunhat.

I do apply the cream before she goes but that's it (it is supposed to last all day).

I think advising parents of other suitable clothing is a good idea and you should stick to your policy. Our nursery asks parents to apply it before them arrive but will also apply later in the day with consent and must be your own bottle.

(Tbh I always send my children with long sleeves and leggings, I don't get parents that send them in pretty dresses or jeans which must be so uncomfortable when playing in the mud and digging for worms....what my daughter got up to today) x

• Like 2