Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Document retention time

I have read conflicting advice about document retention.  Please can someone give me a definitive answer to the following two questions.

• How many years do you keep children’s registers for?
  • How many years do you keep minor accident sheets for?

Not interested in recommended, just the least legal obligation time!  I am hoping someone can answer quickly before I start shredding!

9_9

56 minutes ago, Panders said:

my county one is a ridiculous amount of time at the moment Closure + 50 years for most things, it's my understanding that it is going to be up-dated (at some point:D) like all the other stuff!

I will be taking all of my 40 years worth of records into the home with me - that will be the 'home for the terminally  bewildered' :bananas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I will be taking all of my 40 years worth of records into the home with me - that will be the 'home for the terminally  bewildered' :bananas:

Please can you save me a space?🤪

21 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Definitely - I will be booking in shortly :D the 'men in white coats' can't be far away now....... 

Actually I can hear them knocking my door now! 🤫 Keep thinking of things to add to the spreadsheet and haven’t even got around to new permisssion slips and notification letters☹️  Have decided to make seven years the timeframe for keeping registers, accident forms etc as this ties in with having to keep the funding forms for seven years.  Hope this is suitable.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

:o:o Is the 40 years worth all yours?  I was told by ofsted anything prior to the new registration was not my problem - well obviously she worded it slightly better than that- but that was the gist of it.

2 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Actually I can hear them knocking my door now! 🤫 Keep thinking of things to add to the spreadsheet and haven’t even got around to new permisssion slips and notification letters☹️  Have decided to make seven years the timeframe for keeping registers, accident forms etc as this ties in with having to keep the funding forms for seven years.  Hope this is suitable.

Our funding forms only need to be kept for 3 years... why can't every LA  be the same.  We have made the decision to only keep genuine accidents forms for the extended periods - anything to do with heads, and more serious type injuries kept.- so small grazes, minor scratch type things are going to come under a new category (that I haven't named yet!)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, louby loo said:

:o:o Is the 40 years worth all yours?  I was told by ofsted anything prior to the new registration was not my problem - well obviously she worded it slightly better than that- but that was the gist of it.

Actually no, you are quite right, i took over as owner/manager in 1989, so by my reckoning that's only 30 years worth :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Not sure whether seven years works for accident forms, aren't we meant to keep them until child reaches 21 just in case they want to come back and sue us? :ph34r:

Otherwise I completely agree with seven years for everything else, need that for the tax office anyway!

I have 'Transition forms' going back years - they are all going on a big bonfire, as far as I'm concerned they have 'served their purpose'

2 hours ago, louby loo said:

so small grazes, minor scratch type things are going to come under a new category (that I haven't named yet!)

Name it ‘shredder’...that sounds like a good idea though, maybe this is also the time to think about whether we really have to record all this silly little marks/scratches, there must be a few that go un-noticed anyway on a daily basis whether from setting or home....everything is leading to something else to think about :-/ 

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1

I lie awake dreaming of a leak in the roof soaking all my records so they go too mouldy to be kept.  Or a mouse infestation - how I'd welcome a mouse infestation in my records.  My parents legitimately lost a whole box of receipts in a mouse plague in the 70's.  Actually, on reflection...I'll keep the records.  

• Haha 3

Having received a Data Protection statement from my bank, I may use one of their phrases in my letter to parents.

Retention in accordance with legal and regulatory requirements:  We'll retain your personal data after you account, policy or service has been closed or has otherwise come to an end based on our legal and regulatory requirements.

I will edit the wording, but it's vague enough to cover changes in the future.

Edited by Panders
  • Like 6

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)