Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Risk assessment for Grommets

Hello Everyone,  

I need to complete a risk assessment on a child coming into our setting after having Grommets. Has anyone done this before and if you have do you have any pointers on what needs to go into the risk assessment, e,g, child not getting their ears wet.

I have completed several risk assessments before however this is usually on equipment or a child's height restricting their use of activities. not on medical issues.

Any help would be gratefully received, need this done in a few days and i know you are all very helpful on this site

Many Thanks

Lynne

Ask parents about any restrictions or changes you may need to make adapt.. 

We never did a risk assessment for them, water in the ear canal - tends to be more about hair washing and swimming.. . Main issue could be the amount of noise in the setting could cause distress.. and they may be sensitive to sounds around them.. (remember one child became obsessed with the sound out heater made when cutting in and out.. - no one else noticed it but it was something he had never heard before- along side outside asking why it was so noisy and what was it- birds singing - a great novelty.)

Hi,

We have had a few with grommets and again never did a risk assessment but under a  audit our EYAT recommended a risk assessment. We have never restricted water play due to grommets being fitted and at staff meetings we have discussed the child with grommets and decided what happens when they return to preschool.

I must admit i was a bit shocked when we were asked to do a Risk assessment for this but as we have been asked i now need to complete one. I will have a discussion with parents when we return.  The child had a second lot of grommets put in after we broke up so at present we are unable to speak to them. The child is also in on the first day we return so i will get a risk assessment in place but may need to add more after discussion with parents.

Do you think i should add something about the grommets falling out as this happened to this child on their first set of grommets.

Thankyou for the information on sounds, i had not thought of that one so that;s one i can add in

Any more suggestions will be a great help

Many Thanks

Lynne

As above never done a RA for this, I also would not restrict water even swimming is fine after recovery so wouldn't be worried over water play, only thing I could even possibly think of is to watch for changes to child's attention etc and possible infections as they can easily fall out, they are that small you would probably just sweep it up so if a change is noticed during child's time let parents know so they can see if they want Dr to have a quick look. The aspect of risk and reducing/elimination of risk carnt think of anything. Had multiple children in setting with grommets also one of mine also had them for a few years till they both fell out. Ike sunny days idea though lol 

like sunnyday i would be passing this back to your EY advisor...Why do you need one? are you going to change anything? what is the benefit of putting a risk assessment in place??....the statutory framework has much less emphasis on risk assessments...does the EY advisor suggest this for schools too????

well i have done a quick one and just put two simple things:

Infection in ear canal- staff to be aware when child is at the water play, reinforcing boundaries  to a child using the water inappropriately.

Distress/ irritable/ anxious - sensitive hearing - reassure child- talk to child about moving to a quiet area if apropriatte.

I did think about writing about grommets coming out of the ear and i have spoken to a nurse on a childrens ward and she has told me that they are not harmful if swallowed and they are very minute (size of a grain of rice) so the likely hood of this happening is more or less zero.

Well thats me done and i am not putting anymore time into this and yes you are probably right by saying  i should refer it back.

Many thanks for all your help