Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Short is Too Short?

During the hot weather, many of my staff wear shorts. Most are fine, but one or two are skin tight, six inches above the knee and one shows a huge tattoo right down one leg. I don't want to be an old fogey, but it looks unprofessional and I want to try to set a standard that we can all follow.

Any suggestions?

What do you all do in this situation?

Thank you!

Have had an issue regarding difference of opinions regarding appropriate clothing just this week. We wear embroidered polo shirts and 3/4 length trousers or long shorts. Yesterday a member of staff turned up in a very nice dress but what I deem is not appropriate or practical for working in a setting, I want staff to be able to be on the floor with the children and a short dress would be a barrier to this. I asked the staff member to change and she did but I don't think I was popular. She will probably read this as she likes to check up on what I am posting so will no doubt let me know! I have agreed that our polo tops are too warm in this weather so am going to buy some embroidered cotton light weight T-shirts. I think that our simple uniform gives a professional appearance and have an expectation that this is what staff wear, bit puzzled why anyone would want to wear a decent summer dress in a setting, but then maybe it's just me that thinks if you go home clean you haven't done your job properly!

• Like 2

That just reminded me of a suprvisor we once had at my old setting.........she turned up for work once.....and more than once.......in a low cut, strappy, see-through white muslin dress. bad enough?? Nope................she was wearing absolutely nothing on underneath it. One of our dads nearly had a heart attack. Not one of us had the courage to say no to her, she was such a domineering character. Now, I would absolutely tackle it.........

• Like 1

That just reminded me of a suprvisor we once had at my old setting.........she turned up for work once.....and more than once.......in a low cut, strappy, see-through white muslin dress. bad enough?? Nope................she was wearing absolutely nothing on underneath it. One of our dads nearly had a heart attack. Not one of us had the courage to say no to her, she was such a domineering character. Now, I would absolutely tackle it.........

:o

• Like 1

Oh my word! Short shorts and tattoos are nothing compared to that! How could anyone think it is ok to go to work wearing that?

:o:o :blink:

So glad that my small staff team are quite .....ahem 'mature' - none of us would want to share our cellulite and thread veins with others :lol:

Our setting are the same!

Although we did have a parent turn up to collect in the skimpiest of shorts and a top which I'm sure the term 'side boob' was invented for!

Edited by lynned55
  • Like 2

Our setting are the same!

Although we did have a parent turn up to collect in the skimpiest of shorts and a top which I'm sure the term 'side boob' was invented for!

I'm almost too embarrassed to own up that my face says it all when faced with these situations! A couple of years ago we had a very young mum, shall we say on the rather large side who used to wear the most inappropriate summer outfits with lots of jiggly bits on show - sadly my jiggling bits days are well over! Just wonder how she will look back in a few years time and think "yea I was the bees knees"

We had a mum who arrived most days in the most inappropriate outfits. We all used to wait with bated breath when the doors opened. It could be anything from see through white leggings, with no pants underneath, and a very short t-shirt, to a mini mini dress with a low cut top where boobs would nearly fall out, we are a mixture of experienced (mature!!) staff and young 20 somethings and even the younger ones were aghast. This mum was in her early 40s and left nothing to the imagination.

Still see her now a few years later and things haven't changed except its now the primary school teachers who are waiting with bated breath.

In the light of last week's heatwave we are in the process of buying short sleeved cotton shirts (like school shirts) for all our staff. In the high temperatures last week the polo shirts we have as our standard uniform were uncomfortably hot. We are going to have the lighter shirts only for the hotter days and it will be a choice for staff which of the two provided shirts they wear.

• Like 1

In the light of last week's heatwave we are in the process of buying short sleeved cotton shirts (like school shirts) for all our staff. In the high temperatures last week the polo shirts we have as our standard uniform were uncomfortably hot. We are going to have the lighter shirts only for the hotter days and it will be a choice for staff which of the two provided shirts they wear.

This is exactly what we have now done. Although the weather this week has us all running back to trousers and coats!!