Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

word of the week?

narnia

So..................here's one for you. Two boys, playing with Mobilo in the book corner. One quite clearly calls the other a F**k butt...........I kid you not. I, with my best Joyce Grenfell voice and face, ask the child 'what was the word you just used?'...............and he comes over to me and very clearly, repeats it. I, again a la Ms Grenfell suggest that it's not a word we want to hear again at our setting, is it?? Child smiles sweetly and says no, it's not ( here i should add that the face of an angel is smiling up at me and it takes all I have not to offer him some brasso and a duster to polish his halo).

So, mum arrives to collect and i feel that perhaps i should offer her the benefit of her child's new-found language skill. She looks at me for a moment, then with a face rapidly turning from a slightly pink, to a full-blown over-ripe tomatoey red, whirls around to my deputy and hisses 'well, WHERE did he get THAT from'??? I am trying hard to keep a straight face when i suggest the possibility that he just might have picked it up from any one of the five X Box games he chose for himself on Amazon a couple of weeks ago???........exit one very embarrassed mum.........

• Like 3

bless.....................the total opposite of the coin today.................3 year old H................'why have I got an immune system?? Is there only one?? Why are germs so TINY???', so I answered all his questions.................and then got clobbered with 'do you know that my blood system goes one way all around my body and there are TEEEEEENY blood vessels in there??' :)

• Like 4

I once had a set of parents come in to complain about their child swearing at home. They too didn't know where he got it from. Well, I knew, as the conversation was littered with F words as they argued in front of me.

Yep. That's all too familiar.

• 5 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi

For those of you that use Twitter have you ever followed Susie Dent (she of dictionary corner on the TV show Countdown) as she does a word of the day.  She is funny as she often uses great words to reflect things happening in the political arena with highly amusing results.

I liked this though:

Matutinal (18th Century) cheery, active and alert in the morning.  This is not me so Crumpsy is apparently the opposite lol

Procaffeinate (not yet in the dictionary) is to put off everything until you've had sufficient amounts of coffee - This IS me lol

Matt

• Like 3

I love Spoonerisms and malapropisms - spoonerisms are great when around children when you are trying to be discreet, I mean who hasn't observed a pre-school  messy play session and thought 'that looks like a bit of a mucking fess' 

My favourite malaprop that I read was the old lady who thought she would buy a nice fornicator to wear to a wedding...she meant fascinator 🤣

• Love 1

I said to a friend at knit and natter - 'can I help you there, that's all a bit of a mucking fuddle' 🤣 that was a new one to her, 'fraid I use it a lot 🤷‍♀️ anyway, all good she thought it was funny - phew!

On 09/06/2023 at 20:40, sunnyday said:

I said to a friend at knit and natter - 'can I help you there, that's all a bit of a mucking fuddle' 🤣 that was a new one to her, 'fraid I use it a lot 🤷‍♀️ anyway, all good she thought it was funny - phew!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤭. Seeing you in a whole new light!!!   🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1