Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toy and equipment lists

Yes we have an inventory for insurance purposes. Just realised haven't updated for ages. Something else for my tdl.

Oops meant to say we found breaking it down into ie: furniture, construction equipment, books etc a lot easier to manage.

Edited by Fredbear

Yes you should have an upto date inventory (hard to keep up to date with I know!)

Mine was just a 4 column list with

Date of purchase - Item - Where I got it from - Cost

In the days of PLA advisors as we had our insurance through them she used to take a quick look to make sure it looked up to date.

I was ok at keeping it up to date when things were bought it was when staff got rid of items and didn't tell me!

Yes you should have an upto date inventory (hard to keep up to date with I know!)

Mine was just a 4 column list with

Date of purchase - Item - Where I got it from - Cost

In the days of PLA advisors as we had our insurance through them she used to take a quick look to make sure it looked up to date.

I was ok at keeping it up to date when things were bought it was when staff got rid of items and didn't tell me!

We had an extra column for date when an item was disposed of, broken etc. Again not up to date! !!

I have mine as an excel spreadsheet so that I can total the values for the equipment costs again for insurance purposes. I don't bother with a got rid of date I just delete the item - once it's gone it's gone.

I do however have a separate wish list of things I would like to replace/purchase in the unlikely event that we ever have any £s.

:lol: :rolleyes:

• Like 2

yes, we have an inventory as would be needed for insurance purposes.

I did mine by area - eg home corner, construction etc.,

for cleaning purposes I also do it by area so would just put

home corner

play foods

furniture

dolls etc

clothing/materials etc

then have columns where the date would be added when things cleaned/washed

Okay so I can't avoid it!! Thank you so much for you advice. I will stick this on my action plan to do, with the other 101 things!! Lol.

Thank you

maybe get a member of staff to complete an area of items in there then prices can be added later with use of a catalogue/s by you ?

We need this! Our setting has far to many underused and stored away resources, so going to suggest this to the manager, highlighting the 'insurance purposes' requirement.

Yes, we updated ours last year and were shocked by how much wasn't on the list and how much the resources had gone up in price since we had last done this.

Gave each staff member an area to check/add resources which meant i didn't spend hours doing it myself - they did it when sessions were quieter - then i slowly went through and added prices.

surprising too what resources you have hidden in cupboards that you have forgotten about and children are like wow!! new toys lol

Yes, we updated ours last year and were shocked by how much wasn't on the list and how much the resources had gone up in price since we had last done this.

Gave each staff member an area to check/add resources which meant i didn't spend hours doing it myself - they did it when sessions were quieter - then i slowly went through and added prices.

surprising too what resources you have hidden in cupboards that you have forgotten about and children are like wow!! new toys lol

Our manager is a bit of a hoarder, I'm sure the setting will benefit with some rotation and fresh toys :-)

agreee- once we had an up to date list we then knew what was in the cupboards and rotate them half termly so will have wild animals out then swap for farm etc (unless asked for) but also swapped the construction around - stickle bricks, duplo etc., so like new toys -if children ask for something we get it out but at least now there is a great choice for childen to self choose from but also new choices each half term - as i said it's like they have new toys

we also put the toys going into the cupboard into the dishwasher before they went away which meant that we knew they would be clean when taken out again and also means we don't do all the cleaning in one go - then just put date cleaned on our list