Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

sights and sounds of Christmas you love / hate

blondie

Sight I hate - the sparkle of glitter all over my carpet even though I have hoovered!!

Sight I love - the online shopping arriving which means I don't have to go out and shop with hundreds of others!!

Sound I hate - family members saying - "did you get ........... crackers, cranberry sauce etc.,"

Sound I love - Midnight mass, the start of Christmas.

• Like 1

Love the houses lit up and discovering them in the local area.. These are a short drive and always popular, have lots in the village too..

Hate.. food shoppers going mad like there is going to be a famine and getting enough food to last a month.. ok extra needed but its like a madhouse .. all our shops are open boxing day here so no need..

Love all those naff Christmas movies on telly..

Hate having family so far away.. but on the flip side love visiting them at this time of year in the warmth..but can only manage it alternate years..next year OZ..

Love All Christmas Carols,

• Like 2

Also love the naff Christmas movies and different versions of A Christmas Carol.

Love the 'sound' of silence first thing Christmas morning - no traffic going past my house.

Hate Slade and Roy Wood! Don't mind a bit of Wham and Pogues though.

• Like 2

Love the houses lit up and discovering them in the local area.. These are a short drive and always popular, have lots in the village too..

Hate.. food shoppers going mad like there is going to be a famine and getting enough food to last a month.. ok extra needed but its like a madhouse .. all our shops are open boxing day here so no need..

Love all those naff Christmas movies on telly..

Hate having family so far away.. but on the flip side love visiting them at this time of year in the warmth..but can only manage it alternate years..next year OZ..

Love All Christmas Carols,

I agree with the shopping - the man who delivered my shopping said

"Is that your Christmas shop too? It's the smallest shopping order I have delivered today."

I replied "Yes, everything for Christmas except for my vegetables which I will get Friday" -

he said "I am most impressed, everyone else has at least twice what you have." lol

• Like 2

Sight I love. All my close family members sitting round the Christmas table.

Sight I hate. The spaces around the dinner table of family members no longer with us.

Sound I love. Children singing away in a manger or silent night.

Sound I hate. The endless adverts/programmes that go on from November giving the impression that everyone will be surrounded by people and having the perfect Christmas. Makes me feel sorry for people who are on their own.

• Like 2

Agree with the Christmas table Zigzag. Unfortunately the older we get, the more empty spaces.

The adverts seem to put so much pressure and an expectation that this is what a prefect Christmas looks like. I always get a little 'teary' and I don't really know why. It's become a Christmas tradition in our house.

Edited by lsp

I need to ponder this one but the haunting sound of the soloist singing the first verse of 'Once in Royal David's City' in the festival of 9 lessons and carols is definitely a favourite.

I love this too. My younger brother was a cathedral chorister and they made the most beautiful sound. Gives me goose pimples just thinking about it.

Did you know that they choose two or three soloists at King's College Chapel to sing Once in Royal David's City for Nine Lessons and Carols. They only tell the boy who is actually going to sing it seconds before they start to prevent them becoming too nervous.

• Like 1

I love this too. My younger brother was a cathedral chorister and they made the most beautiful sound. Gives me goose pimples just thinking about it.

Did you know that they choose two or three soloists at King's College Chapel to sing Once in Royal David's City for Nine Lessons and Carols. They only tell the boy who is actually going to sing it seconds before they start to prevent them becoming too nervous.

I did know that - I have always been a little in awe of the poise those choristers have.

I did know that - I have always been a little in awe of the poise those choristers have.

Also chosen late because choir master listens to them during 'warm up' to see whose voice is the most pure at that time - can't risk a breaking voice or even a little crackle.

Hmmm, don't be too fooled. My mum still tells the story of taking family and friends to evensong at Ely Cathedral where my brother was a chorister. They were all so impressed and moved by the beautiful music. Afterwards my brother announced. "Munro (fellow chorister) was biting me all the way through the service!" ::1a :rolleyes:

• Like 3

This made me cry - this is very Christmassy I think.The achievement of this child is just wonderful and her friends in the choir singing to accompany her ... amazing

Special needs schoolgirl wows audience with voice

What a fantastic performance...only spoilt by the fact that she is called a 'special needs child' who has moderate difficulties.......why can we not just be incredibly impressed by her amazing voice....does it make any difference that she has an additional need??????

• Like 5