Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Acting manager

Hello everyone. Well after stepping down as manager our new manager of my preschool lasted 6 weeks! (I hasten to add thrre was no conflict) Left due to pay not being enough to what the job entailed and she got a job as ta with less paperwork and more money..that's another story! They have now decided that they will increase the pay of the role. So as deputy I am back to managing until they recruit again. Should I be expect to be paid for this and should it be at the pay of what the manager was on or what they are going to advertise it at? Just wanted opinions. X

I would say yes - I always pay my staff the rate of the person they are covering for - sometimes they get more than there normal hourly rate sometimes they will get less. You are taking on the responsibility so I think you should be financially rewarded for it. What would they do if you refused to act up?

I think this is one of those instances Marley, where you hold the winning cards! If you don't take over again, what will happen??? It's going to take several weeks or months to recruit and induct a new manager. Would you consider taking over again permanently - perhaps they could review the manager and deputy job descriptions to spread the load?

Absolutely agree -you should be paid the new rate until a new manager takes over. We have just recruited a new manager to take over when I retire in July. We are working in tandem at the moment (we had 2 local pre-schools close shortly after new managers were appointed as they didn't understand the breadth of the role and resigned) and have 3 hours (out of ratio)a week when we specifically discuss various things - we've updated policies, looked at financial management,planning, tracking, recruited another new member of staff etc. Committee run pre-schools are complicated and outside the experience of many. We also had to increase the pay level but I get the new rate too. We are fortunate as my redundancy pot is big so we can afford to pay it. korkycat

Yes, I agree with what others have said. When this happened in our setting we kept a tally of the number of hours staff had done in the management role and then paid them the difference between their usual rate and the enhanced rate as a lump sum at the end of each month (rather than changing their whole hourly rate as we had a few sharing the role).

Hi all. Well I have been paid the old rate of manager role so I suppose that's something! Will be interesting to see what the new rate is when they advertise it. Merry Christmas Xxx