Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Summer Born Children

Hi,

I've been told that when tracking cohorts, another group we should be mindful of are 'Summer Born' children.

What constitutes a 'Summer Born' child? Is it children born in the Summer Term (ie: March-August) or is it just the Summer months - so June, July August?

Thanks!

I would imagine it is children that are at a younger age when ready to start school, so May to August months I presume. My child was born in August and therefor one of the youngest in the class but no real adjustments are made for him and the school constantly compare him to children who are almost 12 months older!! So annoying.

April to August is a long time, 5 months . There is a lot of difference in those months, would help if they clarified what they class as summer born. For me it would be those summer months June, July and August, perhaps with some discretion for the other 2..

• Like 1

When talking about summer-born children we are usually referring to the difference between those born at the beginning of the school year, I would narrow it down to the summer months of June, July and August. If you went with the summer term and had a very early Easter, you could have almost half a year of summer-borns!

• Like 2

Thanks for all your responses...

So it seems that there isn't the definitive answer I was hoping for then!

I agree about the Summer Term being almost as big a differential in itself to class those children together, so I'll take it as June, July, August and see how that is taken!

• Like 1

The DfE use April to August to define a summer born child. All statutory data is grouped like this.

"A child reaches compulsory school age on the prescribed day following his fifth birthday (or on his fifth birthday if it falls on a prescribed day). The prescribed days are 31 December, 31 March and 31 August.The term ‘summer born’ is used to refer to children born from 1 April to 31 August. These children are not required to start school until a full school year after thepoint at which they could first have been admitted."

Cx

The DfE use April to August to define a summer born child. All statutory data is grouped like this.

"A child reaches compulsory school age on the prescribed day following his fifth birthday (or on his fifth birthday if it falls on a prescribed day). The prescribed days are 31 December, 31 March and 31 August.The term ‘summer born’ is used to refer to children born from 1 April to 31 August. These children are not required to start school until a full school year after thepoint at which they could first have been admitted."

Cx

Brilliant - Thanks Catma. I'll do this then!