Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

Wish it was cooler here young Froglet - we had rain all night, but still just horribly hot and humid this morning.

Mr S left the car windows down - I had a complete sense of humour bypass about that

'Results' only not results day for eldest granddaughter today, just had message from her 'grades were not good, but neither were anyone else's, decided to apply for Leicester because that's where I looked round and I really liked it and I got in' (She had been offered Leeds too)

I am pleased for her obviously, but at the same time I am so fed up with this Government and the whiny voiced Gavin Williamson, why downgrade their predicted grades, totally unfair, they did not ask to be in this situation 😡 Government should have 'cut them some slack'

She hasn't told me what her grades were, I am not going to ask her, she was predicted ABB - clearly that's not what she was awarded

Anyway, just need to concentrate on the great news that she is off to Leicester, same Uni town, but different Uni as eldest grandson which is great - not sure what the position is Lockdown wise for Leicester currently - dear goodness I had momentarily forgotten about that 🤦‍♀️

• Like 2

I am so, so sorry for making such a bad-tempered post

Young Froglet - I have read Dear Mrs Bird and I loved it, haven't read 84 Charing Cross Road but think I have seen the film (Anthony Hopkins) not sure if I am thinking of the right book/film 

6 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I am so, so sorry for making such a bad-tempered post

Young Froglet - I have read Dear Mrs Bird and I loved it, haven't read 84 Charing Cross Road but think I have seen the film (Anthony Hopkins) not sure if I am thinking of the right book/film 

Sunnyday, I didn’t think you were bad tempered - just hot and sticky and worried! I left my own car windows down once and had a sense of humour bypass with myself over it.

I’m so glad to meet another Mrs Bird fan, I think it was a first novel and I do hope she writes some more. You are thinking of the right book/film - I watched it last night. It reminds me to get some more letter paper so I can start writing letters again.

Have you read a The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? Or Ella Minnow Pea? I think I like books with letters!

• Like 1

They are worth it Sunnyday! I don’t think it’s rained here, yet... the sky has that heavy look to it and it’s very dark inside. My mum and dad are driving up north for a funeral this afternoon and my brother and his family are driving down south to visit mum and dad (don’t worry the timing does all work out) so I hope they stay safe if there are storms.

12 minutes ago, Froglet said:

Sunnyday, I didn’t think you were bad tempered - just hot and sticky and worried! I left my own car windows down once and had a sense of humour bypass with myself over it.

I’m so glad to meet another Mrs Bird fan, I think it was a first novel and I do hope she writes some more. You are thinking of the right book/film - I watched it last night. It reminds me to get some more letter paper so I can start writing letters again.

Have you read a The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? Or Ella Minnow Pea? I think I like books with letters!

Yes I’ve read the GL&PPPS and enjoyed it.  I was disappointed with the film, as seems to be the norm when you’ve read a book.  I had expected to see at least SOME of it filmed in Guernsey!  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cait said:

Yes I’ve read the GL&PPPS and enjoyed it.  I was disappointed with the film, as seems to be the norm when you’ve read a book.  I had expected to see at least SOME of it filmed in Guernsey!  

I know what you mean - I try to treat the book and the film as two completely different things. I love that I’m now far enough into the holiday for my brain to be enjoying books properly again.

• Like 1

gosh you are all so very busy - me I cannot be bothered to do anything. The clouds are here today and we had two minutes of rain about 20 minutes ago and that was it. Not sure if we are due thunderstorms but would be lovely to clear the air as they say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cait said:

must admit to sitting in the cinema and tutting ! couple of bit on the island but lots of details in the book that were missing in the film. The bit where the children are evacuated just makes me cry as that would have been my BIL's dad and uncle 😪

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Froglet said:

Guernsey Potato Peel Pie Soc brilliant

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Froglet said:

I know what you mean - I try to treat the book and the film as two completely different things. I love that I’m now far enough into the holiday for my brain to be enjoying books properly again.

I was going to buy the book 'Little Fires Everywhere' but ended up watching the series on amazon prime ,  which I'm enjoying- I vary rarely watch TV so it makes a change.

I read Miss Bird and loved it, I've just downloaded the Potato Society book.  

I've got to the point of the holiday were I'm thinking -.... "🙀not much time left!!!"    Had a panic when I realised I have got new Academic diaries yet!

48 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I read 'Little Fires Everywhere' and really enjoyed it

I must not download any more books, I have lots ready to read (I expect I will though, I have no self-control when it comes to books)

I am the same. I just finished Charing Cross Road but I did have to smile at myself - all my recent reads have been on the kindle or from the e-library where I can adjust the font size. A real book was very tiny and I kept wanting to make it bigger!

• Haha 2

Hello - where are all the 'Friday peeps'? I was sure someone would have beaten me to it!

Here we are then another Friday - whoa - slow down a bit now please, I am not making much progress with the old TDL

I have had a lovely morning, I have seen 4 out of my 5 grandchildren, which is lovely! My eldest granddaughter the one that I was so worried about yesterday is just full of positivity about her Uni place which is such a relief. She is going to attempt to sort out accommodation and finance this afternoon. i gave her a cheque from me and Mr S to add to her 'uni fund', she said "I would hug you, but you won't let me will you", nope it's not a case of i don't know where she's been, it's a case of I do know where she's been 🤦‍♀️ her and her group of friends went to 'Wetherspoons' last night to celebrate their results and their University places, bet there wasn't a lot of social distancing going on!

Have also been up to my setting, I am starting to take 'stuff' up that has been 'decorating' my house for far too long!

Managed the Post office this morning without any form of 'kerfuffle' unlike my first attempt 😮

Bumped into one of my new entrants and family as I walked back and we had a super chat - all appropriately socially distanced - lovely!

Weather is so much cooler today - I have even put a cardi on (I do like a nice cardi)

So yes - all good so far <touching wood>

Hope the weekend is kind to all

• Like 1

Well I'm stressed.  It turns out the academic diary I ordered isn't actually A5 😭.   AND I paid more than my usual £1.99 from the works 🤣

It is very pretty, but my folded A4 'important' bits that I seem to collect throughout the working day will not fit neatly.  I could gift it to my deputy though-  I think she'd like it 😊

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Well I'm stressed.  It turns out the academic diary I ordered isn't actually A5 😭.   AND I paid more than my usual £1.99 from the works 🤣

It is very pretty, but my folded A4 'important' bits that I seem to collect throughout the working day will not fit neatly.  I could gift it to my deputy though-  I think she'd like it 😊

Great excuse to buy another louby - after lots of careful research obviously😄

• Haha 1

Ummm, I forgot it was Friday!  I had a peaceful morning doing some more knitting and listening to the end of Mrs Bird.  I also had a brief but sweet phone conversation with my youngest niece

Me: What are you doing?

I: Playdough!  I'm making carrots.

Me: Are you going to make a bunny to eat them.

(She evidently didn't hear or follow the bit about making a bunny and responded with a tone of voice to which you can only too easily imagine an accompanying eye roll)

I: They're only playdough carrots, not real ones!

They are all at my mum and dad's for the weekend so I am going over shortly - it will be the first time I've seen them since Christmas.  I discovered that my sister and her children are also coming up tomorrow.  They are not telling the youngest one as she has missed them so much and will be so excited that she is unlikely to sleep tonight if she knows!

I've listened to a really interesting podcast about managing distraction which made me give myself a kick and plan my day so that I actually get something done and plan in specific times to do things (including fun stuff, not just jobs).  

I still don't think we've had rain here (it may have rained overnight and dried out by morning) but it is so much cooler and fresher, it's lovely.

Sunnyday - step away from the stationery... (although I have decided that I need a new notebook so if you'd like to look for one for me A5, lined you're welcome to!).

I think my next book is going to be finishing off reading The Book of Dust which I start and really enjoy but them seem to read something else!  For now I'm going to do a quick tidy, change out of my comfy but scruffy joggers and head to mum and dad's for family time...

• Like 2

I haven't seen it Panders; sounds interesting though!

I hope all are ok?  I had the loveliest time at the weekend - how to feel special when a 3 year old squeals with excitement at seeing you and actually jumps up and down and around you.  Then to see her face when she saw her cousins the next day - I nearly cried!  

This week I am being very organised(!) I have made a plan putting my TDL onto a calendar so that I tackle it at specific times.  This morning I'm going to pick the new car up which has led to a stressful hour as I couldn't find the paperwork for my current car which I need to take with me.  I used to be super organised and would have been able to find it at the drop of a hat which makes me sad.  However, it did lead to a new resolution to sort it all out but it also led to a question which some of you may know the answer to (or at least know where I could look to find one).  Have you ever come across a 'records and retention document' for domestic paperwork?  I seem to have so much 'stuff' and a small house - I'd rather use the space for storing yarn but don't want to get rid of things that I need to keep.  How long should I keep things like payslips/mortgage statements/insurance documents etc etc etc for?  I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed by it all never mind adding to to all the notes I have from various school staff meetings over the years¬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Froglet said:

This week I am being very organised(!) I have made a plan putting my TDL onto a calendar so that I tackle it at specific times.  This morning I'm going to pick the new car up which has led to a stressful hour as I couldn't find the paperwork for my current car which I need to take with me.  I used to be super organised and would have been able to find it at the drop of a hat which makes me sad.  However, it did lead to a new resolution to sort it all out but it also led to a question which some of you may know the answer to (or at least know where I could look to find one).  Have you ever come across a 'records and retention document' for domestic paperwork?  I seem to have so much 'stuff' and a small house - I'd rather use the space for storing yarn but don't want to get rid of things that I need to keep.  How long should I keep things like payslips/mortgage statements/insurance documents etc etc etc for?  I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed by it all never mind adding to to all the notes I have from various school staff meetings over the years¬

I think the Martin Lewis money saving website has this information - well at least it used to have it, I haven't actually been on the site for a few years now. I used to really like him when he first started out, but now he just seems to shout at everyone talking 'at' them instead of to them and he winds me up now watching him.😳

16 hours ago, Panders said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00071xr/inside-the-bruderhof

Anyone else seen this programme? its about the community in Robertsbridge area of Kent whose people make the Community Playthings furniture and toys.   You do briefly see the workshops, but predominately it about the people who live there and their beliefs.

I watched a actually found it quite disturbing. All the men looked like pretty normal clothes wise - jeans and polos etc, nothing that would stand out as different, yet them women all stood out like a sore thumb?   It made me want to research more, the girl mentioned High School, so I guess once they reach 11+ they are taught outside the village? 

And a question for Sunnyday if you're around - 

Have you had the email with the update EYA ? (preschool alliance)   If so have you manage to find the policies updates page?    

I had the correct page saved as a favourite and it used to take me straight where I wanted,   now all I can find is that 'you have made purchases'😭

The old link I used is no longer working.  Thankfully I printed off a few pages of updates last week, so hopefully I'm pretty up to date.