Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

28 minutes ago, Froglet said:

I have a chocolate peppermint slice recipe which is delicious - like a cake version of after eight mints.

oooh - can you share please? I have made a fruit cake this morning and delivered it to my SIL as it is her birthday tomorrow - left it on the doorstep with a card and some flowers, rang the bell then stood back as she opened the door. She was very surprised and happy (more at the cake than me i think lol).:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Young Froglet - I think combining your love of crochet with your love of baking is a great idea! :) 

Please post pics of the results

Will do! I’m trying to ration myself (with both loves!)

Yes chocolate and yellow for a marble cake, but now I get the gist better of what you are doing with the wools, marble cake probably too boring:D.  So will the fruit cake one have icing around the border?  You aren't thinking of making it for the sparkly season?

All the cakes I keep thinking of have quite mono coloured, will go off and have a good think

Just come in from the garden and I see it's Gavin Williamson on the briefing - pleased that I recorded it, will watch from the beginning and listen intently to his words of wisdom :ph34r:

Edited by sunnyday

Just now, sunnyday said:

Just come in from the garden and I see it's Gavin Williamson on the briefing - pleased that I recorded it, will watch from the beginning and listen intently to hos words of wisdom :ph34r:

It’s the same repeated refrain over and over again. Apparently they have been listening to and working closely with the sector! I think there are thousands that would disagree. And if they mention blooming Denmark once more I will scream. Different age groups gone back in Denmark and Denmark have also had under 600 deaths in total, slightly different from 34 thousand!  I am shouting at the tv, as they are making me so infuriated.

Just now, zigzag said:

It’s the same repeated refrain over and over again. Apparently they have been listening to and working closely with the sector! I think there are thousands that would disagree. And if they mention blooming Denmark once more I will scream. Different age groups gone back in Denmark and Denmark have also had under 600 deaths in total, slightly different from 34 thousand!  I am shouting at the tv, as they are making me so infuriated.

Well I wasn't really serious when I said 'words of wisdom' xD whenever I chat on the phone to family, my sister, brother or friends who don't have small children they are absolutely aghast at the idea of sending the youngest back first (mind you it could be that they are just humouring me)

• Haha 1

😡😡Have these people even ever been in a room with children?  They seem to think they sit at desks all day so they will be safe! 
I went to work yesterday to deep clean and prep the room. I came away feeling completely demoralised. All soft furnishings, rugs removed, wooden toys gone. Now the guidance that we cannot have water play, sand play etc.  Gosh these poor children😢

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Panders said:

Yes chocolate and yellow for a marble cake, but now I get the gist better of what you are doing with the wools, marble cake probably too boring:D.  So will the fruit cake one have icing around the border?  You aren't thinking of making it for the sparkly season?

All the cakes I keep thinking of have quite mono coloured, will go off and have a good think

I’m thinking fairly loose interpretations! Strawberry shortcake and blueberry muffins are in my mind.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zigzag said:

😡😡Have these people even ever been in a room with children?  They seem to think they sit at desks all day so they will be safe! 
I went to work yesterday to deep clean and prep the room. I came away feeling completely demoralised. All soft furnishings, rugs removed, wooden toys gone. Now the guidance that we cannot have water play, sand play etc.  Gosh these poor children😢

'Clever' use of language "protective bubbles" sounds so nice - unfortunately we know what the reality of that idea would be 

• Haha 1

Sorry couldn’t resist! (Image from Pinterest) I keep thinking of those big spheres that you get inside and roll down a hill in! And that we should all be in one of these to protect ourselves! 

404F7CAC-1E0A-44DA-AB40-8DF32B1C2F7F.jpeg

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

where is the guidance about sand water etc? didn't know about  this.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

where is the guidance about sand water etc? didn't know about  this.

I knew about that fm - but I don't know where from

Have just watched the briefing in it's entirety - oh my actual goodness - the complete fabrication - the pressuring of parents - I could go on and on

3 hours ago, zigzag said:

I went to work yesterday to deep clean and prep the room. I came away feeling completely demoralised. All soft furnishings, rugs removed, wooden toys gone. Now the guidance that we cannot have water play, sand play etc.  Gosh .these poor children😢

The items being stored, i.e wooden toys, soft furnishings and toys, no malleable materials, sand, water etc., could need to be stored until an effective vaccine is administered to the population - this is not nursery/pre-school we are left with, this is a baby sitting service so parents can work, that is all the government are interested in.    I sincerely hope they inform their colleagues in Ofsted.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Panders said:

The items being stored, i.e wooden toys, soft furnishings and toys, no malleable materials, sand, water etc., could need to be stored until an effective vaccine is administered to the population - this is not nursery/pre-school we are left with, this is a baby sitting service so parents can work, that is all the government are interested in.    I sincerely hope they inform their colleagues in Ofsted.

Exactly

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

I saw it on a early years group on FB.  I will try to find it.

there was something similar on Twitter this morning but no one has yet been able to show me where this info has come from. Just spent lots of money sorting out our sandpit (was planned before all this) will be really cross if we can't use it!

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

there was something similar on Twitter this morning but no one has yet been able to show me where this info has come from. Just spent lots of money sorting out our sandpit (was planned before all this) will be really cross if we can't use it!

We keep hearing about references to how Denmark are doing it, well in the article from Denmark they are sat in the sandpit or ‘sand box’ as they called it in the article, and on FB an owner or manager had posted and answered questions (CNLF) on how they had been doing things all through and they use sand and other messy play  and in the Dr Matt Buttler webinar I listened to someone asked about how often you should be cleaning and the answer was regular high contact areas and at the end of the day but it seemed more like rotating/quarantining resources was the sensible thing, I actually felt this was much more doable after listening to it :-) 

Edited by Mouseketeer

3 hours ago, Panders said:

this is not nursery/pre-school we are left with, this is a baby sitting service so parents can work, that is all the government are interested in.    I sincerely hope they inform their colleagues in Ofsted.

I wish they would just admit that that is what they want/need. They keep on about education, education, education....... yet they site Denmark that actually starts formal education at an older age!

Not to mention its a country that never really had a big issue with covic19 unlike us.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

It seems to me that we would only be able to offer 'easy to clean' (plastic) items 

So...... that would be the ones our LA advisors have have asking us to get rid of ASAP then, the ones with no "play value'...O.o:o9_9xD  (Well that's what mine told me!)

2 minutes ago, louby loo said:

So...... that would be the ones our LA advisors have have asking us to get rid of ASAP then, the ones with no "play value'...O.o:o9_9xD  (Well that's what mine told me!)

Yep - that's the ones :bananas:

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Denmark's death toll = 600

UK's death toll = 34,000+

Spot the difference :(

True, and it probably wasn’t taken as seriously as a number of other countries took it when locking down sooner, especially in light of the uk’s dense population, we’re only 5’ish x bigger than Denmark with 11 x higher population, Germany are half as big as us again with only 16m people .....but I still don’t know if that means we can have sand 🤣 our sand pit needs cleaning out and re-sanding anyway so not even convinced it’s worth bothering with now unless we have to go through holiday (GW seems to be playing his cards close on that one) 

Edited by Mouseketeer

58 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

With sand - if a child is 'shedding virus' surely it will stay in the sand???

It seems to me that we would only be able to offer 'easy to clean' (plastic) items 

So i have been thinking about this ...first our sand is outside so the likelyhood of virus landing on the sand is minimised due to air movement, You would need the childs viral load to be picked up and tranfered to the other childs airways through viral drops. They would need a fairly large amount of viral load to transfer. If child 'a' sneezes will the small amount of virus be able to land and be picked up by child 'b' and then 'ingested in to their system before it is dispersed in to tiny amounts not dangerous to others.

It’s very disheartening, everything we have worked to change, develop and improve with continuous provision, natural resources and child choice all now gone.  When we go back if it’s June or September, we will have a plastic (😢) toys in boxes and the children will be able to choose a few boxes at a time, then these will be washed and rotated with other toys. With lots of new starters in September I just do not know how this is going to work! It literally makes me feel cold thinking about it.

2 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

So i have been thinking about this ...first our sand is outside so the likelyhood of virus landing on the sand is minimised due to air movement, You would need the childs viral load to be picked up and tranfered to the other childs airways through viral drops. They would need a fairly large amount of viral load to transfer. If child 'a' sneezes will the small amount of virus be able to land and be picked up by child 'b' and then 'ingested in to their system before it is dispersed in to tiny amounts not dangerous to others.

Sounds sensible to me fm - I don't know I am not a scientist or a virologist - clear guidance is needed here

3 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

I was intending to have our outside sandpit available and lots of water play. I will try and track down this guidance instead of taking someone else’s word!

• Like 1