Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

have had to abandon my 'walk' - in our little field - spraying going on in the next field...….I could 'taste' it so quickly came back down to the house:o

Honestly 'dodgy' sweetcorn and now spray - I'm beginning to feel more than a bit paranoid :ph34r:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, sunnyday said:

have had to abandon my 'walk' - in our little field - spraying going on in the next field...….I could 'taste' it so quickly came back down to the house:o

Honestly 'dodgy' sweetcorn and now spray - I'm beginning to feel more than a bit paranoid :ph34r:

THEY are out to get you sunnyday...better go self isolate till they go away...........oh hang on you are:oxD

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Watching 'Sewing Bee' - how sweet are those little smock dresses

They were 'mocked' and not smocked! And pretty though they were - they were not nice as a 'smocked' dress >:(   ..........and to compare the Princess charlottes dresses, and historical smocks was very wrong. They should have acknowledged they were mocked.

Ok rant over.  I enjoyed the rest of the programme though but vintage woman was robbed when other collars were decided wonky.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, louby loo said:

They were 'mocked' and not smocked! And pretty though they were - they were not nice as a 'smocked' dress >:(   ..........and to compare the Princess charlottes dresses, and historical smocks was very wrong. They should have acknowledged they were mocked.

Ok rant over.  I enjoyed the rest of the programme though but vintage woman was robbed when other collars were decided wonky.

My Mother who made beautiful Smocked dresses would agree:)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, louby loo said:

6 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

I stand corrected xD have mentioned before that I can't sew for toffee xD <wanders off muttering - they were still very sweet>

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I stand corrected xD have mentioned before that I can't sew for toffee xD <wanders off muttering - they were still very sweet>

you are right they were! my favourite was the grapes however...brilliant!

• Haha 1

Sorry I have to disagree. I think most of them were a mess.  They didn't hang nicely at all and the mocking was appalling!   I'd have been embarrassed to own up to making any of those.    (Ducks under parapet)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cait said:

Sorry I have to disagree. I think most of them were a mess.  They didn't hang nicely at all and the mocking was appalling!   I'd have been embarrassed to own up to making any of those.    (Ducks under parapet)

Me too to be honest. But I like to see people having a try.  A simple sleeveless party dress with collar, sash/ties, and maybe pin tucks at hem would have given a better idea of skills.    Some of those dungarees were a tad 'Mother Earth' for my liking xD

I try and take the programme lighthearted- but if you look deeper many of the contestants aren't always quite as unexperienced as they claim to be 9_9

2 hours ago, Cait said:

Whatevs  xD

4 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

Me too! Way back in 1973 when i started my training - one of the things we had to do was to make a smocked dress - took forever but was really pleased with it in the end. I went on to have four sons:-)

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, louby loo said:

Me too to be honest. But I like to see people having a try.  A simple sleeveless party dress with collar, sash/ties, and maybe pin tucks at hem would have given a better idea of skills.    Some of those dungarees were a tad 'Mother Earth' for my liking xD

I try and take the programme lighthearted- but if you look deeper many of the contestants aren't always quite as unexperienced as they claim to be 9_9

They do seem to say that they have been sewing for many years and they must have to qualify to actually go on the show.   🤷‍♀️

Well, I’m currently in pjs doing some (surprise, surprise) crochet. I did have a leaflet through the door about some street celebrations. We’re not, historically, a very sociable street and I’m a little apprehensive but we’ll see.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cait said:

They do seem to say that they have been sewing for many years and they must have to qualify to actually go on the show.   🤷‍♀️

I'm afraid the cynic in me says that to make a programme appear to have jeopardy, some of the contestants are asked to have 'troubles' The lady who had made loads of smocked dresses over the years turned out to have the worst - possibly because she was too pedantic and perfectionist, but it didn't appear to be the case in the end result, however went on to have the best costume and short dungarees

My area would normally be putting on a street gathering, they even do one annually.    We have an odd layout to the 30 house estate where we live, one end is far more sociable and ready with the idea of gatherings - newsletters, etc.  my end is full of old codgers who aren't that interested, but normally manage to get together for drinks at the colder sparkly time of year (see what I did there?:D).

They haven't to my knowledge arranged any gatherings but they do all sit out in their front gardens on sun loungers etc., so I suppose there will be lots of that going on.

• Like 4

Our village square is all decorated and it looks really lovely. The last post was played in the square this morning followed by an enormous clap that went on and on. Such a shame that the celebrations cannot be as planned.

• Like 6

Well, almost forget it's Friday :o  Only good things on this thread :)    

Today I tried the 'mocking' from the sewing bee last week. I was actually quite nice. (nothing on proper hand smocking but interesting to do).  I managed to make a small dress with it.   Planned a walk with friend tomorrow obviously we will SD, but it will be good to chat again. 

Have a good weekend everyone :) 

• Like 1

I attempted the 3rd face mask today - even though a simple affair, my little bit of perfectionism won't allow me to love it :D.    I find the instructions on the net don't always reflect numptiness - bit like assuming everyone's a great cook and understands cooking terms,     I'm not really spatially (sp?)  gifted, and even with some of the  photos I can't quite get it sometimes when putting stuff together.:D   I need to really watch it being done I think.

• Like 1

Hi

Can you believe it's now eight weeks since we closed?:(

<whispers very quietly> - I may have seen my youngest granddaughter today - Shhhh - kept at the appropriate distance and I said "oh I wish we could have a have a big cuddle" - she said, very seriously "we are not allowed to nana because of coronavirus", I said "oh I know I would like to smack that virus", she said "you wouldn't be able to, it's so tiny that you can't even see it" - I think I am pleased that she has some understanding, but I'm sad that this happening in the little world - she is only 4, will be 5 next month

But anyway it was wonderful to see her and to get to talk her :)

Have a good weekend all

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Panders said:

I attempted the 3rd face mask today - even though a simple affair, my little bit of perfectionism won't allow me to love it :D.    I find the instructions on the net don't always reflect numptiness - bit like assuming everyone's a great cook and understands cooking terms,     I'm not really spatially (sp?)  gifted, and even with some of the  photos I can't quite get it sometimes when putting stuff together.:D   I need to really watch it being done I think.

Keep practicing :)    I have made a few, not masses as I'm not sure how much homemade are actually wanted by hospitals etc.

Anyway, I've made a few and each one is an improvement of fit from the previous one.  I have a selection of shapes/styles and have given to friends etc.

One thing I will say is- we've (husband is my test dummy)  worked out the best ties are actually cut strips of t-shirt fabric, softer than elastic. 

• Like 2