Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

On 25/04/2020 at 13:56, finleysmaid said:

what did you virtually bake?

Well, it’s actually quite a nice story (I think so anyway). My mum has my granny’s recipe books which are essentially notebooks with all sorts of handwritten recipes and other notes in (list of wedding presents etc.). One of them is for a ‘Middle West gingerbread’ which my uncle had been reminiscing about. My mum typed the recipe up for him and he forwarded it to his children and hers suggesting that we all make it and get together for tasting. One of his children lives in Australia and I haven’t seen him since I was about 15.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Froglet said:

Well, it’s actually quite a nice story (I think so anyway). My mum has my granny’s recipe books which are essentially notebooks with all sorts of handwritten recipes and other notes in (list of wedding presents etc.). One of them is for a ‘Middle West gingerbread’ which my uncle had been reminiscing about. My mum typed the recipe up for him and he forwarded it to his children and hers suggesting that we all make it and get together for tasting. One of his children lives in Australia and I haven’t seen him since I was about 15.

what a lovely story....nice to think that out of something negative lots of positives are appearing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Froglet said:

Wow, such a lovely story.  That really is a lockdown memory worth keeping.  Did you do it via zoom? can you get the transcript ? 

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

What did everyone make of Boris' speech this morning?

I'm hoping that he intends to keep measures as they are for longer - think that he will have lost his gung-ho approach now that he has had the virus himself......

I genuinely think  that having  the virus has made him more wary.  I though he sounded a bit choked-up when he was talking about the importance of keeping lockdown for a bit longer. ( I heard the full speech on radio 4, not seen it on TV)

Edited by louby loo
  • Like 1

I think he will not be pressurised to ease the lockdown before he thinks it is as safe as it can be.  I think he will stand firm.  I was so pleased to see him back today, I am not a political person but I think he and the other two are doing a damn fine job in unprecedented times and circumstances.  I think having the virus and being in hospital and seeing it all for REAL will make a difference to how he proceeds. Please god, no early years back until September!

• Like 2

Yay! The food processor I wanted is back in stock!  I can join the cake brigade :D

(Well I do know I could have joined in making cakes by hand - but I wanted that processor... and hopefully my cabbage is still fine for the long missed coleslaw)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Yay! The food processor I wanted is back in stock!  I can join the cake brigade :D

(Well I do know I could have joined in making cakes by hand - but I wanted that processor... and hopefully my cabbage is still fine for the long missed coleslaw)

Excellent - we will expect photos! :D

I 'escaped' this morning!

After 5 long weeks of venturing no further than the bottom of my drive, I have been up to my setting to collect the necessary files for my funding claim

Such an odd experience, all quite emotional really...….

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I 'escaped' this morning!

After 5 long weeks of venturing no further than the bottom of my drive, I have been up to my setting to collect the necessary files for my funding claim

Such an odd experience, all quite emotional really...….

I'm thinking of venturing out to setting too.

I sort of need some paperwork, not 100% essential but would make my life easier, but also I feel I need to check our breadsticks out :/

We often get squirrels in our loft space, not usually a problem as we keep most foods in a plastic box- however the breadsticks normally are used daily,  so have never created a problem. Under normal circumstance they would not be any left during holidays etc.   I'm now thinking the halls been so quite the squirrel may have attacked them!!.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I'm thinking of venturing out to setting too.

I sort of need some paperwork, not 100% essential but would make my life easier, but also I feel I need to check our breadsticks out :/

We often get squirrels in our loft space, not usually a problem as we keep most foods in a plastic box- however the breadsticks normally are used daily,  so have never created a problem. Under normal circumstance they would not be any left during holidays etc.   I'm now thinking the halls been so quite the squirrel may have attacked them!!.  

Has the 'rest centre' plan not materialised?

It felt so strange to be 'out', I purposely left it until it was raining as I didn't want to come into 'contact' with anyone - that plan worked well as I didn't see a soul.....:)

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

It felt so strange to be 'out', I purposely left it until it was raining as I didn't want to come into 'contact' with anyone - that plan worked well as I didn't see a soul.....:)

It's on standby, and luckily not been used yet ... fingers crossed it won't be needed.  

The hall I was thinking we might have been able to use (subject to ofsted) has however now become a temporary bloody testing centre for the vulnerable so that do not need to visit the hospital. 

I popped in to pick up post the other day and it’s very strange, like the Marley Celeste! Washed toys still in their trays where they were left to drain.  I keep thinking I really should get up there and clean and sort and maybe tidy sheds, but I do not have the motivation!! 

I expect, Zigzag the motivation may be a tad lacking because we just don't know if we will actually return for some while yet.   It's not like the summer holidays other than the fact that we have an extended amount of time off.    Don't be hard on yourself - you could return tomorrow given how you left it I am sure.

• Like 1

We didn't bother washing all our toys, my thoughts well they were all going to have at least 72 hours non-use, and they'd probably need a wash when we came back anyway.

I did bring all the soft items home though and have washed all of those. This has reminded me that my car is actually stacked up with clean dressing up etc, plus a big box of hand towels that I got at discount rate a couple of weeks ago.

It feels weirder now the weather has changed. I kept thinking we were just in the summer holidays whilst it was warm and sunny. 

• Like 2

On the last morning we managed to wash loads of toys and then leave a load soaking in Milton.  I did after a week go and empty those out and leave to drain and grab the dress ups to bring home and wash. Now it will be a case of wiping all the wooden toys with ant bac and then giving the whole place a through clean and airing.  I just wish someone would say that we are not going back until September and then we all know where we stand and plan accordingly.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, zigzag said:

On the last morning we managed to wash loads of toys and then leave a load soaking in Milton.  I did after a week go and empty those out and leave to drain and grab the dress ups to bring home and wash. Now it will be a case of wiping all the wooden toys with ant bac and then giving the whole place a through clean and airing.  I just wish someone would say that we are not going back until September and then we all know where we stand and plan accordingly.

Oh me too zigzag - it's the uncertainty that adds to the stress I think 

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

We didn't bother washing all our toys, my thoughts well they were all going to have at least 72 hours non-use, and they'd probably need a wash when we came back anyway.

I did bring all the soft items home though and have washed all of those. This has reminded me that my car is actually stacked up with clean dressing up etc, plus a big box of hand towels that I got at discount rate a couple of weeks ago.

It feels weirder now the weather has changed. I kept thinking we were just in the summer holidays whilst it was warm and sunny. 

I only brought home the cushions from our Book Corner, my deputy took painting aprons to wash, I will need to collect and wash all the other soft items at some point

We had been keeping on top of the toy washing......

2 hours ago, zigzag said:

It's definitely the will we/won't we that I find the most draining too.

We've heard from our LA today they expect us to keep in contact with parents 'at least' once a week.  I can't decide whether or not to buy all my staff  'burner phones' so we can spread the load..... but then if we're back soon it's a waste of money 9_9.   To be honest my parents all seem quite fine and happy, we  encourage the use of our Facebook page which we add to most days, and we do get feedback from them.  I feel that I'm nagging them if I keep phoning - we know our parents well, and know which like the phone calls etc.

2 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Oh me too zigzag - it's the uncertainty that adds to the stress I think 

5 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I’m glad it’s not just me, It really is playing on my mind, worrying just how we return safely.  I keep thinking of all different scenarios, only having the ones going to school, not starting the ones that were meant to have started this term until September etc.  My little pea brain is like a roundabout!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, louby loo said:

We've heard from our LA today they expect us to keep in contact with parents 'at least' once a week.  I can't decide whether or not to buy all my staff  'burner phones' so we can spread the load..... but then if we're back soon it's a waste of money 9_9.   To be honest my parents all seem quite fine and happy, we  encourage the use of our Facebook page which we add to most days, and we do get feedback from them.  I feel that I'm nagging them if I keep phoning - we know our parents well, and know which like the phone calls etc.

Ofsted made it clear yesterday that they would not be inspecting anyones response to the pandemic .. so your LEA can go jump!!! we do keep in touch over tapestry which has been fab some respond lots others not so much but our vunerable and more tricky families are contacted as often as we can. We've already had one family removed due to Domestic violence so i guess your LEA is just trying to ensure this doesn't happen (or worse!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

Good heavens - phone calls - I wouldn't be up for that - sounds like you are doing a great job with your Facebook page I would leave it at that

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

Ofsted made it clear yesterday that they would not be inspecting anyones response to the pandemic .. so your LEA can go jump!!! we do keep in touch over tapestry which has been fab some respond lots others not so much but our vunerable and more tricky families are contacted as often as we can. We've already had one family removed due to Domestic violence so i guess your LEA is just trying to ensure this doesn't happen (or worse!)

Yes, like you say we all know our families and the ones we need to make the extra effort with.  

8 hours ago, sunnyday said:

That was a great idea!   We've not had rain here, so flippers and wet suits all still in storage! 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, zigzag said:

I just wish someone would say that we are not going back until September and then we all know where we stand and plan accordingly.

Would it help if I said it?   

• Haha 3