Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

On 28/06/2023 at 20:16, Froglet said:

I introduced a timer for children changing for PE just after Christmas because they were taking so long (25 minutes in one instance. 2 parents unhappy because their child didn’t like the timer instead of saying to the. “Well let’s practise changing so that you get quicker”. Last year we’d trialled having children come to school in kit on PE days but for various reasons decided to change back. When I said that at our parents meeting this time last year I had one concerned parent because their child still needed help from them. We’re talking about starting year 1 not even reception.

'their child didn't like the timer' - give me strength 🤦‍♀️

• Haha 2

Sending empathy as well but my god reading your posts makes me realise just how flippin glad I am out of it now! I think the way parenting is going is incredibly sad and it makes me worry just what this future generation will be like as adults! It’s quite scary. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 28/06/2023 at 20:17, sunnyday said:

Blimey - all sounds like a flippin' nightmare to me

That's not any help at all - sorry - just sending some empathy

I’m not sure we can put the blame on covid for this, although loads seem to be being dumped in that direction.   I think we are sufficiently far removed from it now that this is just very poor parenting.   Over the years I’ve had stubborn children and had be actually quite strict in my dealings with them, to the point that it became well known in the village that “Mrs C will sort him out when he gets to preschool” I wasn’t sure how that made me feel really.    I’ve lost count of the times I’ve said to parents ‘just say ‘ no’ and mean it, stick with it, and don’t, whatever happens, back down once you’ve said it’ 

Good morning - 'tis Friday

Reading the above posts reminds me how precious weekends are when working...

Nothing exciting to report from here - the two granddogs continue to be an absolute joy - we were due to have an extra one for the weekend but she is now going to her maternal granny - probably the best idea, think/know it would have been chaos with her added into the mix 😂

Lots of rain yesterday great for the garden - chilly too, I was in jeans, cardi, socks - our weather is certainly interesting!

Hoping for a good and restful weekend for all x

Managed to remember it's Friday this week 🤣

Parents - I think it's the Generation Z's,  I think they grew up in the 'good years' and expect everything to be handed to them 😬 I think this age group are also most shocked/affected by the COL crisis as possiby never really had to struggle before, new TV's, mutliple cheap holidays etc.   Yes, some may have been affected by the 2008 crash- but may have been to young at actually notice!  

I also think many are working more/longer hours now too, but not getting the same luxuries it afforded before and therefore are more tired themselves - for example we have a food chain pub near us, a few years ago at around 5-7pm it used to be full of parents/children all having a quick meal on the way home from work/school/nursery (still in uniforms- including parents!) nowadays the pub is almost empty at these times, I guess it now means having to cook at home more... later nights for everyone = even more tired, cranky parents and children!

We have some fantastic parents, we also have an equal amount of needy ones too!  

Have a good weekend everyone x 😊

• Like 1

On 30/06/2023 at 14:01, louby loo said:

Managed to remember it's Friday this week 🤣

Parents - I think it's the Generation Z's,  I think they grew up in the 'good years' and expect everything to be handed to them 😬 I think this age group are also most shocked/affected by the COL crisis as possiby never really had to struggle before, new TV's, mutliple cheap holidays etc.   Yes, some may have been affected by the 2008 crash- but may have been to young at actually notice!  

I also think many are working more/longer hours now too, but not getting the same luxuries it afforded before and therefore are more tired themselves - for example we have a food chain pub near us, a few years ago at around 5-7pm it used to be full of parents/children all having a quick meal on the way home from work/school/nursery (still in uniforms- including parents!) nowadays the pub is almost empty at these times, I guess it now means having to cook at home more... later nights for everyone = even more tired, cranky parents and children!

We have some fantastic parents, we also have an equal amount of needy ones too!  

Have a good weekend everyone x 😊

Good points there, yes.   

• Like 1

On 30/06/2023 at 07:56, Cait said:   Over the years I’ve had stubborn children and had be actually quite strict in my dealings with them, to the point that it became well known in the village that “Mrs C will sort him out when he gets to preschool” I wasn’t sure how that made me feel really.    I’ve lost count of the times I’ve said to parents ‘just say ‘ no’ and mean it, stick with it, and don’t, whatever happens, back down once you’ve said it’ 

Oh Cait, this made me smile, if I had a £ for every time I heard this over the years I would be a lot richer. 
Well it’s well and truly raining down here, which is great for the gardens but not for too long please!  Been to put flowers on the cliff top today where we scattered Dads ashes as it’s a year today. Got blooming soaked! Sure he was laughing somewhere! 
Some very sad news this week, one of the pre school children has stage 4 cancer.  She is only just 4. So having to travel to Bristol hospital for treatment every other week. Was speechless when I found out.  The great thing is that she comes from an incredibly strong family. Also our amazing village has started fundraising for the family and as always, is getting huge support. 

• Sad 1

On 30/06/2023 at 14:35, zigzag said:

Oh Cait, this made me smile, if I had a £ for every time I heard this over the years I would be a lot richer. 
Well it’s well and truly raining down here, which is great for the gardens but not for too long please!  Been to put flowers on the cliff top today where we scattered Dads ashes as it’s a year today. Got blooming soaked! Sure he was laughing somewhere! 
Some very sad news this week, one of the pre school children has stage 4 cancer.  She is only just 4. So having to travel to Bristol hospital for treatment every other week. Was speechless when I found out.  The great thing is that she comes from an incredibly strong family. Also our amazing village has started fundraising for the family and as always, is getting huge support. 

Bit of a sad post there Zigzag 😢

Oh goodness zigzag, that is so very sad, poor little love and poor family 💔 what a shock for you too

We had a little boy who was diagnosed with leukaemia whilst he was with us.   He was only 3 and it seemed so cruel.   We used Tapestry to keep in touch with him, posting pictures of his friends and giving his parents ideas for him to do which tallied with what we were doing.  We were able to keep abreast of his learning through the pictures and text that his parents posted on there and did actually continue to assess his progress through the ELGs, which was incredibly helpful for them.  We planned with them and really worked together to ensure that he could progress on those days when he was able to.  He did recover, thankfully, and although he did relapse later, I believe, he was able to enjoy ‘big school’ briefly.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 01/07/2023 at 09:44, finleysmaid said:

Stupid question alert....may be going a bit bonkers.....please tell me was technology removed from the new development matters???? 

the reason i ask is that it's still on tapestry but i'm pretty sure its been replaced hasn't it???? writing reports and got myself mixed up ! 

On 01/07/2023 at 10:31, sunnyday said:

Okay - hands up - who has got my 'oomph'?

It's 10:30 and virtually nothing done 🤦‍♀️

Not me! about to start reading 30 end of year transition reports, deleting the woolly and correcting the grammar and sp’s and just not feeling it 😑 

On 01/07/2023 at 12:29, Mouseketeer said:

Not me! about to start reading 30 end of year transition reports, deleting the woolly and correcting the grammar and sp’s and just not feeling it 😑 

Oh my life Mousie - you poor thing - 'deleting the woolly' I remember that so well - sure there were times when I just thought 'why didn't I just write them all myself in the first place' 🤦‍♀️

Added to that was the thought 'is anyone actually going to read and act upon these'...

Stupid question alert....may be going a bit bonkers.....please tell me was technology removed from the new development matters???? 

Oops - missed this - sorry fm - no idea my lovely - long retired - hopefully someone can help

I recovered my 'oomph' and have actually been quite busy - most of my 'busyness' has revolved around the granddogs! Mainly clearing up after them! 🤦‍♀️

Emails answered

Had a lovely gossip with our postie - she knows everything!🤣

Sainsbos has delivered my shopping - all put away - excellent!

Washing through and out on the line.

Lots of deadheading completed

Polytunnel tomatoes watered...

Must be lunchtime now!

• Like 1

On 01/07/2023 at 10:31, sunnyday said:

Okay - hands up - who has got my 'oomph'?

It's 10:30 and virtually nothing done 🤦‍♀️

Not me!  Evidence below....    (but glad yours has returned 😊)

Honest answer? I havent a clue!!!

On 01/07/2023 at 12:29, Mouseketeer said:

Stopped bothering with these the years ago!   School neither wanted or read them, the only peolpe pushing them were our LA.  Only ones that will get any written paperwork are SEND even those are more or less the 'one plans'  The schools visit us- we talk- that's it!!

• Like 2

On 01/07/2023 at 15:44, louby loo said:

Not me!  Evidence below....    (but glad yours has returned 😊)

Honest answer? I havent a clue!!!

Stopped bothering with these the years ago!   School neither wanted or read them, the only peolpe pushing them were our LA.  Only ones that will get any written paperwork are SEND even those are more or less the 'one plans'  The schools visit us- we talk- that's it!!

Technology is briefly mentioned in the UW ‘educational program’ of DM as ‘understanding a technologically diverse world’ but don’t think it’s then mentioned anywhere else or in the the ELG.

It so would have been quicker to write most myself than edit, have used custom reports on Tapestry this year but thinking next year will be ‘my strengths are’, ‘I’m supported with’ and for anything read as ‘as expected’, these and the 2 yr check are the biggest waste of time (IMO).

• Like 4

Well, I didn’t have my own oomph let alone Sunnydays! I took myself in to school for 4 hours this afternoon - it’s the only way I can stay focused at the moment. My reports aren’t finished (deadline was yesterday) but the inside of my mind is a little more settled and I have a plan for tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2023 at 18:01, Froglet said:

Well, I didn’t have my own oomph let alone Sunnydays! I took myself in to school for 4 hours this afternoon - it’s the only way I can stay focused at the moment. My reports aren’t finished (deadline was yesterday) but the inside of my mind is a little more settled and I have a plan for tomorrow.

Well I hope that your 'plan for tomorrow' includes some downtime?

'scuse me I put a list of reading suggestions on your thread...

On 01/07/2023 at 18:07, sunnyday said:

Well I hope that your 'plan for tomorrow' includes some downtime?

'scuse me I put a list of reading suggestions on your thread...

Well it mostly includes writing reports and sorting next week’s transition to be honest but there will be some downtime too!

Thanks for the suggestions will go and take a look…

• Like 1

On 01/07/2023 at 21:50, Mouseketeer said:

Wonder what kept louby & zigzag from roll call 🧐 

Apologies for my absence yesterday!🤣 At that time I was looking after the mad grand dog puppy! She is 100% scatty, lively, full of mischief and kept myself and my dog completely on our toes until she was collected🤯 I think a toddler is less exhausting.  Went to explore a new section of coast path that has been opened on our nearest beach yesterday, then suggested we walk a little bit further to the next beach to collect sea glass (my obsession). I then had a brainwave that if we took a diversion through the quarry it would be quicker. Now think of the steepest hill imaginable, that is what we walked up in the very hot sun only to find the secret way out has been found and blocked off!😬 To say I was not popular was an understatement! Honestly some people have no stamina! Off out for dinner today and might just squeeze in a visit to a garden centre to spend my vouchers that I got when I left school last year.

Have a lovely weekend all and try not to spend it all doing school stuff!

• Like 4

I love collecting sea glass!!  Family are all told to look for it on their beach visits as I can’t do it myself at the moment, sadly.  We’ll get back there though!  

• Like 4

On 03/07/2023 at 20:36, Cait said:

I love collecting sea glass!!  Family are all told to look for it on their beach visits as I can’t do it myself at the moment, sadly.  We’ll get back there though!  

I find it so therapeutic. I can go down there and it’s the only time I can completely switch off and settle my mind.

• Like 2