Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

On 05/11/2022 at 09:46, Cait said:

Wowsers!  They are fabulous!  I’ll have a look on YouTube and at your link, thank you.   I’m going to have to get my sewing mojo out 😩

Just a thought Cait what about fabric gift bags they are quick and easy for craft stalls, not huge amounts a

of fabric needed plenty of those on youtube

On 04/11/2022 at 17:37, zigzag said:

Happy Friday all. Nothing exciting this week just the lovely slow unstressed pace of my new life! Could have done with better weather, it’s been atrocious here this week and getting used to the dark evenings is so very difficult.   Bit annoyed as my son has been on the Isle of Wight for the last three weeks on a course learning how to be a deck hand on the mega yachts. Booked on the train to come home on Monday, they then announce a strike for next week so we book a coach home, now they have cancelled the blooming train strike! It’s so infuriating and he is now £75 down 😡

Am i right the trains arent running despite no strike?  maybe he can get a rebate - should at least try, none of this is his fault

On 04/11/2022 at 17:37, zigzag said:

Booked on the train to come home on Monday, they then announce a strike for next week so we book a coach home, now they have cancelled the blooming train strike! It’s so infuriating and he is now £75 down 😡

He might still be better off on the coach Monday anyway as they are still staying there could be major distruptions on the rail network as the strike was called off so late.

On 05/11/2022 at 07:40, Mouseketeer said:

Still reading up on what you’re all up to, sounds like I def need to retire,

Not sure of your age- but I am now seriously considering it.

Hope you're feeling a lot better now.

On 05/11/2022 at 09:36, sunnyday said:

I can certainly recommend this retirement lark 🤣

I've had a letter from the gov.... and i'm now planning my exit route!   I think i shall be finished 'in' the setting next July. 🙀.

• Like 2

On 05/11/2022 at 11:56, louby loo said:

I've had a letter from the gov.... and i'm now planning my exit route!   I think i shall be finished 'in' the setting next July. 🙀.

Now I 'need' to know what letter from the gov? 

It's such a big decision louby - but I have no regrets - when you say 'in' the setting are you thinking of still running things without going in, none of my business I know but I wouldn't do that...

On 05/11/2022 at 12:01, sunnyday said:

Now I 'need' to know what letter from the gov? 

It's such a big decision louby - but I have no regrets - when you say 'in' the setting are you thinking of still running things without going in, none of my business I know but I wouldn't do that...

Nothing too exciting from gov - just an 'invite to take state pension' 🤣

I am thinking accounts and payroll only, either that, or the possiblity of closing completely.

• Like 1

On 05/11/2022 at 13:43, louby loo said:

Nothing too exciting from gov - just an 'invite to take state pension' 🤣

I am thinking accounts and payroll only, either that, or the possiblity of closing completely.

So tricky louby - I understand 'accounts and payroll only' but would it stop there? Is there really nobody to completely take over the pre-school? As I said earlier it's absolutely none of my beeswax, but I couldn't have stayed involved at all, it wouldn't have worked for me, but some of that is because I am self-confessed control freak! 🤦‍♀️😂

When I made 'the decision' I let it be known that I would happily give the whole thing to someone with the relevant qualifications - three people came forward, but only one was a serious contender, I gave everything to her, all of my lovely resources that I had been building up for years, I was happy to do this because I really wanted to see the pre-school continue...and I could just 'walk away' which was exactly what I needed to do

• Like 1

On 05/11/2022 at 14:32, sunnyday said:

So tricky louby - I understand 'accounts and payroll only' but would it stop there? Is there really nobody to completely take over the pre-school? As I said earlier it's absolutely none of my beeswax, but I couldn't have stayed involved at all, it wouldn't have worked for me, but some of that is because I am self-confessed control freak! 🤦‍♀️😂

When I made 'the decision' I let it be known that I would happily give the whole thing to someone with the relevant qualifications - three people came forward, but only one was a serious contender, I gave everything to her, all of my lovely resources that I had been building up for years, I was happy to do this because I really wanted to see the pre-school continue...and I could just 'walk away' which was exactly what I needed to do

I used to be a control freak - but Covid cured me of that!  Over the last two years I have become more 'chilled' about things not going how i would prefer 😂  I don't even read all the latest documents the day they come out anymore (many I don't even read anyway- I just rely other people to do it and tell me if it's important! 🙀😂)

• Like 1

On 05/11/2022 at 15:50, louby loo said:

I used to be a control freak - but Covid cured me of that!  Over the last two years I have become more 'chilled' about things not going how i would prefer 😂  I don't even read all the latest documents the day they come out anymore (many I don't even read anyway- I just rely other people to do it and tell me if it's important! 🙀😂)

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

When I sold up I kind of did what Sunnyday has said.  My LA, (Kent) knew of local groups who wanted to expand, one of those eventually took on the lease of the hall.  I sold loads of my resources on Ebay or to the newcomers and left loads and gave loads to charity it was a bit of a mission I have to say - so Sunnyday's way seems way simpler!

• Like 2

Louby I never ever thought I could walk away and not miss it. The last 19 years I lived and breathed everything pre-school 24/7. But once the decision was actually made it has been the easiest thing ever. I don’t miss it at all and the relief is immense. I have had to go to school a couple of times to help with admin stuff but couldn’t wait to get out of there.  I really don’t regret my de sci on for one minute.

• Like 3

The first week back seems to have been pretty good. My class have grown up just that little bit and the majority are now behaving beautifully and if they don’t are responding to a raised eyebrow or the look.

I have a couple of colleagues I’m a little worried about and I’m not quite sure how to help.

Today has been my work day and for the first time in ages I feel like I’ve been focused and got a lot done - however I have just remembered a couple jobs which must be done this weekend - in fact one was due yesterday so I’m now having a debate with myself over whether to do them now or whether to get up early tomorrow…

• Like 2

On 05/11/2022 at 19:05, sunnyday said:

It's all a bit sad really that we are encouraging our forum friends to retire...

I think we’re the only ones left here anyway and I wouldn’t take much persuading, it’s only loss of income keeping me there now and that makes me sad, too many years to pension yet and that’s providing it isn’t raised again before that, I’m back in ratio again more than not and have really hit that ‘too old for this’ wall 😔 

• Like 3

On 05/11/2022 at 20:28, Froglet said:

The first week back seems to have been pretty good. My class have grown up just that little bit and the majority are now behaving beautifully and if they don’t are responding to a raised eyebrow or the look.

I have a couple of colleagues I’m a little worried about and I’m not quite sure how to help.

Today has been my work day and for the first time in ages I feel like I’ve been focused and got a lot done - however I have just remembered a couple jobs which must be done this weekend - in fact one was due yesterday so I’m now having a debate with myself over whether to do them now or whether to get up early tomorrow…

Young froglet you work so hard/too hard...

• Like 1

On 05/11/2022 at 20:41, Mouseketeer said:

I think we’re the only ones left here anyway and I wouldn’t take much persuading, it’s only loss of income keeping me there now and that makes me sad, too many years to pension yet and that’s providing it isn’t raised again before that, I’m back in ratio again more than not and have really hit that ‘too old for this’ wall 😔 

Such a shame - wish that I could offer some words of encouragement - our lovely zigzag has found work in a different area

I'm sure that far too many really good practitioners are being lost which is so sad

• Like 2

On 05/11/2022 at 21:42, sunnyday said:

Young froglet you work so hard/too hard...

I don’t know how to do it any more quickly though. All the things I do are genuinely on my TDL because they need to be, not because I think they would be nice to do. My body decided for me and I fell asleep shortly after writing that post. I haven’t got up particularly early either!

• Like 1

On 06/11/2022 at 09:04, Froglet said:

I don’t know how to do it any more quickly though. All the things I do are genuinely on my TDL because they need to be, not because I think they would be nice to do. My body decided for me and I fell asleep shortly after writing that post. I haven’t got up particularly early either!

I know, I get it, I just worry about you, you have so little down time

• Like 1

On 06/11/2022 at 10:11, sunnyday said:

You really don’t!   I do remember all my free time bring totally subsumed by preschool though, and being seriously ‘miffed’ that the woman who took over from me did all the admin in the preschool hours and did nothing in her own time - which I’d done gladly for 25 years unpaid.   She also outsourced payroll and finances!  

• Like 2

On 06/11/2022 at 10:13, sunnyday said:

Just waiting for my two youngest grandchildren to be delivered to me for the day!

So jealous!  On two fronts - that you’ve more than one grandchild, and that you get to spend quality time with them (on your own! - so three fronts really!) 🤣😳🤭

• Like 1

On 06/11/2022 at 12:28, Cait said:

You really don’t!   I do remember all my free time bring totally subsumed by preschool though, and being seriously ‘miffed’ that the woman who took over from me did all the admin in the preschool hours and did nothing in her own time - which I’d done gladly for 25 years unpaid.   She also outsourced payroll and finances!  

But by doing what you did Cait probably  made the pre-school financially viable in the early days, allowing for things to be done outside now.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2022 at 10:11, sunnyday said:

Ah bless you, I’m ok and I make the most of my holidays. Think of it like this - I couldn’t produce as much baking or crafting as I do if I worked all the time could I?

On 06/11/2022 at 10:13, sunnyday said:

Just waiting for my two youngest grandchildren to be delivered to me for the day!

How lovely, have a wonderful time!

We have a new member of SLT this term who does get masses of non-contact time but even given that seems to have much more of a balance - I keep trying to find out her secret!

• Like 1

I am that woman now!!!! I have taken over from the old 'pre-covid' me!!   I no longer work for free at all.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2022 at 17:55, Froglet said:

Ah bless you, I’m ok and I make the most of my holidays. Think of it like this - I couldn’t produce as much baking or crafting as I do if I worked all the time could I?

Well, this is true - you do find 'me time' for making socks, cakes and cute little animals 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/11/2022 at 12:29, Cait said:

So jealous!  On two fronts - that you’ve more than one grandchild, and that you get to spend quality time with them (on your own! - so three fronts really!) 🤣😳🤭

Awww Cait - I do realise that we are really very lucky

• Like 1

On 06/11/2022 at 13:19, Panders said:

But by doing what you did Cait probably  made the pre-school financially viable in the early days, allowing for things to be done outside now.

It closed after 18 months 

• Sad 1

Has anyone else been shouting at the TV today re the news about there being a long wait for Speech and Language support - good that this is being highlighted, but my goodness that has been the situation in my neck of the woods for so long (long before Covid)...

To say nothing of that poor mum that was shown writing chalk letters for her little boy, I could see that she was doing her best, but why oh why hasn't her HV given her some sensible advice - as I have typed that I am now thinking perhaps she hasn't had any access to a HV. Perhaps there needs to be some sort of campaign to help parents...

All so frustrating

• Like 1