Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

1 day left to go!

I have been given a summer project… it is my school’s 50th anniversary next year and I have been asked to crochet some gold decorations for a tree we have in our entrance hall. I have also been asked to make some gold bunting. I thought I’d ask you as many are far more expert sewers than me - any suggestions for good sources of appropriate fabric - it will be outside in all weathers!

On 26/07/2022 at 20:49, Froglet said:

1 day left to go!

I have been given a summer project… it is my school’s 50th anniversary next year and I have been asked to crochet some gold decorations for a tree we have in our entrance hall. I have also been asked to make some gold bunting. I thought I’d ask you as many are far more expert sewers than me - any suggestions for good sources of appropriate fabric - it will be outside in all weathers!

I have nothing to say about the sewing - it's a case of can't do it, won't do it here...but yay to your last day tomorrow young froglet hope it's a good one!

• Like 1

On 26/07/2022 at 20:49, Froglet said:

1 day left to go!

Not sure about actual fabrics, but you need to do the 'one seam' bunting - it's so much quicker and easier, however it does take slightly more fabric though.

Personally I'd do gold lamme   (can't spell it!) Not sure how it would hold up  longterm outside though, and it's awful to sew!  I guess you could use lycra and with that you could just cut singles and not even sew them.   Ripstop (kite/tent fabric) might work? ..although again that can be a ***** to sew.

• Like 1

Can’t sew to save my life but enjoy your last day froglet. Then try and have some relaxing time! 
Sunnyday you have some very strange things going on up your end!  I hope they are soon resolved? 
Well I picked up another cleaning job this week, cleaning our Parish hall on a weekly basis.  I cannot get my head around what I am being paid now to just clean, compared to what I was paid at school! It is absolutely crazy! I might have done this years ago if I’d realised!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hiya - tis Friday!

How is everyone getting on?

For my part - we have water, we have electricity, we have mobile signal - that's a big whoop from me!

Holiday dog is being such a little sweetie - we have another week with her...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Having a quiet day day after a busy week. Two days looking after GD at home is hard work... although I did get banished to the bedroom one day (we seem to play '10 little monkeys' on a loop at the moment) .... then grandad arrived home and I was forgotten about- I did contemplate a quick snooze but thought better of it.🤣

Have people had proper rain lately?   Everything is gradually dying off at the moment- our lawn is a 50/50 brown/green, although on the positive side we have had a full reprieve form slug attacks at the moment!!  

• Like 2

On 29/07/2022 at 11:43, louby loo said:

Having a quiet day day after a busy week. Two days looking after GD at home is hard work... although I did get banished to the bedroom one day (we seem to play '10 little monkeys' on a loop at the moment) .... then grandad arrived home and I was forgotten about- I did contemplate a quick snooze but thought better of it.🤣

Have people had proper rain lately?   Everything is gradually dying off at the moment- our lawn is a 50/50 brown/green, although on the positive side we have had a full reprieve form slug attacks at the moment!!  

Not enough rain here to make any difference louby - all a bit desert like

P.S. I would have had that snooze! 🤣

• Like 2

Our grass is green around the edges and brown and crispy in the middle of the lawn! We had some rain in the night a couple of nights ago but it made no difference at all.  I’m trying so hard not to water the veg garden and pots too much because of the water shortage buts it hard seeing things wilt!

• Like 2

On 29/07/2022 at 18:19, Panders said:

is there anyway you can use shower/bath water for watering? or would the veg taste 'soapy'😱🤣

I use the bath water for my hanging baskets, and my neighbour has connected her bath to their water butt -so I guess it works fine (you just wouldn't  need to wash the veg as they come out ready washed 😂)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 26/07/2022 at 21:58, louby loo said:

Personally I'd do gold lamme   (can't spell it!) Not sure how it would hold up  longterm outside though, and it's awful to sew!  I guess you could use lycra and with that you could just cut singles and not even sew them.   Ripstop (kite/tent fabric) might work? ..although again that can be a ***** to sew.

Personally I’d get a gold table cloth thingy, cut it into triangles, staple it on a length of tape and forget the whole sewing thing BINGO! 🤣 

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/07/2022 at 22:57, Mouseketeer said:

Personally I’d get a gold table cloth thingy, cut it into triangles, staple it on a length of tape and forget the whole sewing thing BINGO! 🤣 

I am very tempted by this especially as I have the crochet on my project list too!

Well I made it to the end of term! Such a relief - it has been a very difficult one! I spent the last two days in school sorting, tidying and stripping walls to get ready for big building work and redecorating over the summer. Consequently my room looks worse than before at the moment but it will be worth it in the end!

Today I have woken up after sleeping through the night for the first time in weeks! It feels incredible! I think that this weekend I’m going to focus on resting and restoring the house to ‘normal’. There will probably be lots of naps and quite a bit of chocolate eating! I also want to plan some proper food in. For various reasons I’ve been struggling to cook and eat recently and need some delicious ideas!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/07/2022 at 06:50, Froglet said:

I am very tempted by this especially as I have the crochet on my project list too!

Well, you could always just crochet the bunting!

Have a lovely crafty day, and get a good few days rest and relaxation in - sounds like you need that first 😊

• Like 2

On 30/07/2022 at 08:58, Froglet said:

Ok, I have been brave and committed myself to going to a ‘crafternoon’ at the yarn shop near me - obviously meant I needed to start a new pair of socks!

Oh that's brilliant young Froglet - do let us know how you get on!

• Like 1

I did a changeover this morning so didn’t make it out early with the dog, subsequently my walk this afternoon was a disaster as there are just so many tourists everywhere! Please understand I have nothing against people having a lovely holiday but it is just so busy here! And it’s sometimes quite trying! We also live a really short walk from the very popular Roskillys farm. Which gets inundated everyday because their ice cream is so delicious. If ever you are in Cornwall you must visit its amazing.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 30/07/2022 at 15:54, Froglet said:

I went to my crafternoon - got the time wrong so arrived half way through it actually one hour rather than two was probably good for a first time. Some nice people - I mostly listened!

So what actually happens at a 'crafternoon' - do people bring their own projects and enjoy a cuppa together - or is something else altogether?

• Like 1

On 30/07/2022 at 17:43, sunnyday said:

So what actually happens at a 'crafternoon' - do people bring their own projects and enjoy a cuppa together - or is something else altogether?

That was it exactly! Knit and natter by another name. Some were knitting, some crocheting and one who was clearly a regular with a poorly wrist just chatting.

Edited by Froglet
  • Like 1

On 30/07/2022 at 18:22, Froglet said:

That was it exactly! Knit and natter by another name. Some were knitting, some crocheting and one who was clearly a regular with a poorly wrist just chatting.

It sums it up better - there’s always the bright spark that comments that someone is crocheting rather than knitting.   Our church ones are crafternoons, we have quilling, painting, crochet, embroidery and last winter a lady was tatting.   It’s a fabulous idea to learn these skills before they are lost.  We are looking for a lacemaker to join us next winter! 

• Like 3