Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

On 01/05/2022 at 15:50, zigzag said:

Well I’ve made a huge decision today and have handed my notice in! I’ve gone for as long as I can, but decided enough is enough. Early years and parents in particular have changed so much in the last 19 years that it has drained my passion and that’s not fair on the children.  So onto pastures new, whatever that may be….

I take my hat off to you zigzag, a big part of me envies you, It will be a shame if you don’t stay in childcare in some way or another but I wish you well with whatever comes next ….and breath!

• Like 1

Well I’ve made a huge decision today and have handed my notice in! I’ve gone for as long as I can, but decided enough is enough. Early years and parents in particular have changed so much in the last 19 years that it has drained my passion and that’s not fair on the children.  So onto pastures new, whatever that may be….

Oh zigzag my lovely I know that will have been a really hard decision for you xxx

• Like 1

Didn't see that actually happening!🙀  Good Luck on whatever pathway you take 😊

(don't dessert us here though!!)

• Like 1

It was a really heart wrenching decision to make and not one I have taken lightly. But enough really is enough and I have to think of my well being, which has been suffering.  I am going to come out of childcare for now and see what comes up.  I just want something part time and that I can walk away from, so am happy to give anything a try.  

• Like 1

Oh Zigzag, I am sorry to read your post.   I understand it wholeheartedly and I think it is that way with many of us, something always triggers these feelings and after so many things happening, it may well be something quite small that says - enough is enough, too far now.   As you say, once the passion has gone it's not fair on the children.   You have a fab group there you will be sorely missed I am sure.   Good luck with the future, take it easy for a  while before committing to other things.

• Like 1

I'm sad because that's so much talent gone....im sorry you've  decided to go but I do understand 😔 xxxx

• Like 1

Well done!   I know that don’t have been easy, but you’re right, it’s all changed dramatically from what it was.  It’s a sad state of affairs really, that such a wealth of knowledge that you have is being under-utilised and now lost to the profession.   Stay with us, won’t you, and let us know what your ‘next steps’ are? Xx 

ask the lovely Steve if he can help you to stay on. X 

Edited by Cait
  • Like 1

On 02/05/2022 at 21:27, zigzag said:

When a new manager  is appointed, what process do they need to go through with Ofsted checks etc?

Oooh - I'm not sure - the lady who took over from me was already registered with them as she runs another setting - but we both had to contact them as it was a change of ownership

Not much help am I (sorry)

What's your notice period zigzag?

On 03/05/2022 at 16:29, sunnyday said:

Oooh - I'm not sure - the lady who took over from me was already registered with them as she runs another setting - but we both had to contact them as it was a change of ownership

Not much help am I (sorry)

What's your notice period zigzag?

4 working weeks. 

On 03/05/2022 at 17:49, zigzag said:

4 working weeks. 

😲  not long then!  Have you actually done the deed? or will you go to the end of summer term?  Mmmmmm just think of those leisurely walks with your dog on beautiful mornings

I was asked if I would stay on until July but I just can’t. Now I have made the decision, the sooner the better. And that shows just how low it has got me because I would never normally do anything that may affect the smooth running of the group.  I have started to fill a book with the TDL and how to do everything and my goodness no wonder my head has felt ready to explode most of the time!  The parent who was the final straw in all this had a go at me yesterday because I didn’t answer her email on bank holiday evening. The email did not need a response unlike her other ones. And when questioned why I didn’t answer I said because it’s a bank holiday weekend  and didn’t need to be responded to she got really 💩 with me.  Which actually just confirmed that the decision to leave is the right one.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 04/05/2022 at 07:18, zigzag said:

I was asked if I would stay on until July but I just can’t. Now I have made the decision, the sooner the better. And that shows just how low it has got me because I would never normally do anything that may affect the smooth running of the group.  I have started to fill a book with the TDL and how to do everything and my goodness no wonder my head has felt ready to explode most of the time!  The parent who was the final straw in all this had a go at me yesterday because I didn’t answer her email on bank holiday evening. The email did not need a response unlike her other ones. And when questioned why I didn’t answer I said because it’s a bank holiday weekend  and didn’t need to be responded to she got really 💩 with me.  Which actually just confirmed that the decision to leave is the right one.

I'm sort of happy to read that - your mind is made up, no regrets, that is a good thing

I'm sending lots of positive vibes and support to you xxx

• Like 1

Parents were the 💩 that helped my decision too.  If they could just have dropped their 2 year olds off and left them with us and collected them in the summer before reception, life would have been so much simpler!   

• Like 1

I have had to swap a session at the end of term from Friday to Thursday due to a staffing issue. This has caused uproar and a committee member is going berserk about lack of cover staff. We have one (who can’t work) and the other person is no longer interested.  This parent has told the chairperson that we need to get all staff to sign a contract 9-3 everyday regardless if the work 3 hours or 15 which then stops them working anywhere else so they can be available at all times just in case! 🤯🤯 That is the only way any of the assistants can survive by having other work as well when hours drop in Autumn. I cannot believe the selfishness of some people, the child goes to another setting which can offer 30 hours which we can’t so why does she just not take him there!

On 05/05/2022 at 17:24, zigzag said:

I have had to swap a session at the end of term from Friday to Thursday due to a staffing issue. This has caused uproar and a committee member is going berserk about lack of cover staff. We have one (who can’t work) and the other person is no longer interested.  This parent has told the chairperson that we need to get all staff to sign a contract 9-3 everyday regardless if the work 3 hours or 15 which then stops them working anywhere else so they can be available at all times just in case! 🤯🤯 That is the only way any of the assistants can survive by having other work as well when hours drop in Autumn. I cannot believe the selfishness of some people, the child goes to another setting which can offer 30 hours which we can’t so why does she just not take him there!

They do sound like incredibly needy people (or person!) I couldn't be working with that level of entitlement for sure!

I have to say we do have (on the whole) good parents.. plus I think being privately owned helps.  Our have been really good this week as for the first time during the whole pandemic we actually have two staff off at the same time, and parents have offered to drop sessions if we have any problems 😊

Luckily, we always work at least one over, and today is the only day we may have had an issue- but I was able to cover, and even then I came home after an hour (well actually I went to Ikea to spend lots of money on things I never knew I needed 🤣🤣🤣)

• Like 4

I am so cross on your behalf

• Like 1

On 05/05/2022 at 17:54, louby loo said:

They do sound like incredibly needy people (or person!) I couldn't be working with that level of entitlement for sure!

I have to say we do have (on the whole) good parents.. plus I think being privately owned helps.  Our have been really good this week as for the first time during the whole pandemic we actually have two staff off at the same time, and parents have offered to drop sessions if we have any problems 😊

Luckily, we always work at least one over, and today is the only day we may have had an issue- but I was able to cover, and even then I came home after an hour (well actually I went to Ikea to spend lots of money on things I never knew I needed 🤣🤣🤣)

Way to go louby - what is it with Ikea, I could never get out of there without spending a small fortune!

• Haha 1

D'you know, I am not even sure about the legality of requiring someone to sign a contract like that...my advice for what it's worth would be that your staff team should consult ACAS...and as for you my lovely you can just nod, smile and walk away from all of this

On 05/05/2022 at 20:23, sunnyday said:

D'you know, I am not even sure about the legality of requiring someone to sign a contract like that...my advice for what it's worth would be that your staff team should consult ACAS...and as for you my lovely you can just nod, smile and walk away from all of this

Two out of three of my staff work in a few other jobs to make ends meet, they have to.  Don’t worry the chairperson is absolutely against the idea and we literally cannot believe that it was a serious suggestion by a supposedly sensible person!  I have to admit my filter has come off a little as I have no need to be polite or fight anymore. At least it’s all justifying my decision. 

• Like 2

On 05/05/2022 at 21:34, zigzag said:

Two out of three of my staff work in a few other jobs to make ends meet, they have to.  Don’t worry the chairperson is absolutely against the idea and we literally cannot believe that it was a serious suggestion by a supposedly sensible person!  I have to admit my filter has come off a little as I have no need to be polite or fight anymore. At least it’s all justifying my decision. 

Yeah, you don’t have to keep it in the thought bubble anymore 😁 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/05/2022 at 23:02, Mouseketeer said:

Yeah, you don’t have to keep it in the thought bubble anymore 😁 

Well my thought bubble is pretty much near to bursting at the moment! 🤣     Parent - "can you help me sort my 2yr funding code please?"   ..... said parents live in a 995K+ house, works, had a partner, just got back from a long weekend in Spain ........ and was late this morning as she had to wait in for the cleaner who was running late!!!    I told her she needed to sort it herself and just give me the code when she gets it!    (obviously I do help some families)

Anyway, had to go in today - but it was a really lovely chilled out morning- they kind that remind you why you do the job 😊

Have a lovely weekend everyone, at least the weather looks like it's on the up now 🤞

• Like 5

On 06/05/2022 at 14:10, louby loo said:

Well my thought bubble is pretty much near to bursting at the moment! 🤣     Parent - "can you help me sort my 2yr funding code please?"   ..... said parents live in a 995K+ house, works, had a partner, just got back from a long weekend in Spain ........ and was late this morning as she had to wait in for the cleaner who was running late!!!    I told her she needed to sort it herself and just give me the code when she gets it!    (obviously I do help some families)

Anyway, had to go in today - but it was a really lovely chilled out morning- they kind that remind you why you do the job 😊

Have a lovely weekend everyone, at least the weather looks like it's on the up now 🤞

That two year old funding beggars belief in those circumstances - anyway 'just give me the code' is the right answer 👍

• Like 1