Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

Good morning all - tis Friday again!

I have no idea where this week has gone...

How is everyone getting on?

Nothing interesting to report from here, although Knit and Natter was great fun yesterday, I am so pleased that I bit the bullet and set this up, always such a lovely atmosphere

Hope that the (long) weekend is kind to all x

• Like 1

Well, the weeks are certainly flying by!

We 've just had our first child in about 6+ years start that appears to have behavioural needs 😢 We are hoping that it's just a sensory overload at being in a group setting. During his second one hour settling session he hit 3 children, pushed over many, knocked all the chairs, over and hit out at one member of staff! I feel it's going to be a challenging year for us! 😭 (he will be with for 4 terms)

We took my granddaughter to the bluebell woods Sunday hoping for an Instagram moment... she decided otherwise 🤣 I shall try and add a photo later.

I am so cold I'm sitting with two jumpers on a the moment, hope the weather is better for others this weekend. Just a little sunshine would be good.

On 29/04/2022 at 10:28, louby loo said:

Well, the weeks are certainly flying by!

We 've just had our first child in about 6+ years start that appears to have behavioural needs 😢 We are hoping that it's just a sensory overload at being in a group setting. During his second one hour settling session he hit 3 children, pushed over many, knocked all the chairs, over and hit out at one member of staff! I feel it's going to be a challenging year for us! 😭 (he will be with for 4 terms)

We took my granddaughter to the bluebell woods Sunday hoping for an Instagram moment... she decided otherwise 🤣 I shall try and add a photo later.

I am so cold I'm sitting with two jumpers on a the moment, hope the weather is better for others this weekend. Just a little sunshine would be good.

Oh dear louby, I do hope that your new starter 'calms down', is it difficult to get help in your area (certainly is here), what do his parents have to say about him?

Look forward to seeing the photo!

It is a bit chilly here but not too bad - we had some rain overnight, my garden is happy about that...

On 29/04/2022 at 11:06, sunnyday said:

, is it difficult to get help in your area (certainly is here)

Manic laughter - looking for hens teeth springs to mind!  I did mention to parent... and she 'welled up' 😢 so I really want to try and help her.  I do want to start a plan really early on though, and have said it will be short sessions of  the foreseeable until we can assess him properly.  He not 3 until July and maybe he will settle with support.

I'm having trouble loading the photo....although I have strangely managed to make it my desktop picture!!! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 29/04/2022 at 18:29, finleysmaid said:

Weve had a busy week ! Ofsted have been ! 🤪😜😝  it was a very long day...she arrived at 8 and left about 5 ! We are all exhausted and pleased we have a long weekend !

Oh my word fm - trust that you are happy with the result - how long between inspections for you?

On 29/04/2022 at 19:26, sunnyday said:

Oh my word fm - trust that you are happy with the result - how long between inspections for you?

2015 ! 😱😱😱 Next cycle is 6 years between inspections! Apparently!

Yes it was all good cant say much more at the moment! 

Happy to answer questions though if anyone needs info! Xx

• Like 4

On 29/04/2022 at 19:42, finleysmaid said:

Hope that you now have a lovely, relaxed weekend - it's a great feeling when it is all done and dusted and you are happy with the result isn't it

• Like 1

A really full on week here and I am literally so on the verge of handing my notice in.  We have a full on group at the moment made up of four year olds who are ready for school and two year olds who just want to destroy the place! We then have a new starter who Screams the place down (quite a shock as we usually have no trouble settling them in) and is taking me away from the session as she needs constant 1-1.  To add to this we have another newbie who is fine once in session but doesn't want to leave Mum and will try to run after her if given the chance at drop off time. Then for whatever reasons we have two of our other children who are playing Mums up and need peeling off Mums to get them in, then literally seconds later are all smiles.  So my poor little chap who does need my attention at the moment so that I can get a early help referral in for him is just drifting through the session not achieving much.   I really feel torn in a million pieces and that I am totally failing them all.  Then to top that I have announced that we have to drop our extra session that parents pay for in September as we just don’t have enough children to break even  for it and a parent has just become demanding, critical and nasty despite my endless efforts to make her understand.  It’s just all too much.  Thank god it’s a long weekend. 
FM glad your Ofsted is over, it’s a great feeling isn’t it! 
We have had beautiful dry weather but a very cold east wind, but at least it makes mud free dog walks!  Enjoy the weekend all.

Edited by zigzag
  • Sad 2

On 29/04/2022 at 21:01, zigzag said:

A really full on week here and I am literally so on the verge of handing my notice in.  We have a full on group at the moment made up of four year olds who are ready for school and two year olds who just want to destroy the place! We then have a new starter who Screams the place down (quite a shock as we usually have no trouble settling them in) and is taking me away from the session as she needs constant 1-1.  To add to this we have another newbie who is fine once in session but doesn't want to leave Mum and will try to run after her if given the chance at drop off time. Then for whatever reasons we have two of our other children who are playing Mums up and need peeling off Mums to get them in, then literally seconds later are all smiles.  So my poor little chap who does need my attention at the moment so that I can get a early help referral in for him is just drifting through the session not achieving much.   I really feel torn in a million pieces and that I am totally failing them all.  Then to top that I have announced that we have to drop our extra session that parents pay for in September as we just don’t have enough children to break even  for it and a parent has just become demanding, critical and nasty despite my endless efforts to make her understand.  It’s just all too much.  Thank god it’s a long weekend. 

Oh zigzag you poor thing that all sounds incredibly tough - sending you the hugest virtual hug xxx

FM - well done on what sounds like a positive Ofsted experience, always good to have feedback when you’re ready, relax and enjoy the ‘relief’ that’s it done.

Zigzag - I’m sad to read this, it really is ‘all too much’ now and then BJ thinking he can play games with the ratio’s, if our ratio’s were made up of groups of chn with no Sen or behaviour needs or the need for a staff member to be constantly out of ratio either changing nappies, wet cloths or taking toilet trainers every 20 mins or so because they really aren’t ready for TT you might think maybe you could add a couple more to adult:ratio’s but with the reality I think it might be a final nail for the few good staff we do have left 😔 

• Like 1

On 29/04/2022 at 21:01, zigzag said:

Wow, you have had a week of it.  I know what you mean though- I looked at our challenging newbie and actually thought I'm just too old for all this now 😬  

• Like 1

On 29/04/2022 at 19:42, finleysmaid said:

Good timing - have a fantastic long weekend 🥂

• Like 1

On 29/04/2022 at 22:15, louby loo said:

Is it  just me, or are more and more parents actually wanting us to do the whole TT thing?    

I have never had so many children in nappies and parents so uninterested in toilet training. It’s quite shocking.

• Confused 1

Is it  just me, or are more and more parents actually wanting us to do the whole TT thing?    

It’s bloody  ridiculous, I’m jarred off with supporting in Pre-School to know it isn’t also happening at home, I’m seriously thinking about banning pull ups, they are either still in nappies if they need them or they are wearing underwear, not only because of the time it all takes but the number of unnecessary nappies, gloves, nappy bags, wet wipes going into landfill, why is it now acceptable for 3.5/4yr olds with no other needs to not be out of nappies? other than lazy parenting 😡

On 30/04/2022 at 08:18, Mouseketeer said:

It’s bloody  ridiculous, I’m jarred off with supporting in Pre-School to know it isn’t also happening at home, I’m seriously thinking about banning pull ups, they are either still in nappies if they need them or they are wearing underwear, not only because of the time it all takes but the number of unnecessary nappies, gloves, nappy bags, wet wipes going into landfill, why is it now acceptable for 3.5/4yr olds with no other needs to not be out of nappies? other than lazy parenting 😡

At this time with a cost of living crisis I am surprised that parents want to keep forking out for disposable nappies

• Like 1

On 30/04/2022 at 10:54, sunnyday said:

At this time with a cost of living crisis I am surprised that parents want to keep forking out for disposable nappies

I often wonder at that, especially when there is often a younger sibling too, but maybe it’s cheaper than washing all the wet/soiled clothes, they seem to have the mind set that if they leave it much later it will be an instant result and they won’t have to do the ‘training’ bit….not helped by HV’s telling parents it isn’t unusual to not be toilet trained by the time they start school 😡 

• Sad 1

On 30/04/2022 at 11:15, Mouseketeer said:

I often wonder at that, especially when there is often a younger sibling too, but maybe it’s cheaper than washing all the wet/soiled clothes, they seem to have the mind set that if they leave it much later it will be an instant result and they won’t have to do the ‘training’ bit….not helped by HV’s telling parents it isn’t unusual to not be toilet trained by the time they start school 😡 

Oh my life - I had no idea that HVs said that to parents ☹️ that is the most ridiculous stance - poor children and poor teachers - how the heck do HVs think that Reception teachers with a class of 30 children are going to cope with children who are not toilet trained (I am of course talking about neurotypical children) 

When did this become acceptable - I couldn't wait to get my sons trained and see the back of nappies - mind you, that's so long ago that it was terry nappies and those dreadful plastic pant thingies...

Plastic? Rubber?

Edited by sunnyday
  • Like 1

Lots of news this week from you all. Louby - I love your granddaughter pictures. FM Glad you survived Ofsted. Zigzag so sorry you’ve had such a tough week. Sunnyday I’m so pleased your knit and natter is going well. Mousie I am totally with you on the toilet training!

My week has just been incredibly busy - 2 members of staff off who needed covering. Meetings after school everyday etc. A couple of my children are really struggling at the moment and I have no idea what else to do to help them. I’m very grateful for the long weekend mainly because it means that today I have done nothing but crochet a schnauzer from my new book of patterns. I didn’t intend for that to be the plan at the start of the day but that’s how things ended up. The extra day has meant that today has been the most relaxing guilt and stress free day I’ve had in a while. I’m now trying to decide what to eat for tea - I have absolutely no clue at all and am beginning to get hungry!

• Like 4

On 30/04/2022 at 15:21, sunnyday said:

I had no idea that HVs said that to parents ☹️

Our HV team seem to have a favorite mantra of ‘it’s age appropriate’ no matter what we feel the issue might be, and once parents hear that whatever we think counts for nothing 😖

On 30/04/2022 at 17:56, Mouseketeer said:

Our HV team seem to have a favorite mantra of ‘it’s age appropriate’ no matter what we feel the issue might be, and once parents hear that whatever we think counts for nothing 😖

Good grief - what sort of cop out is that - grrrr

If I had any 'late' to be trained children it always showed up in their 'progress reports' and I would add comment along the lines of 'we are ready to support toilet training' that seemed to do the trick...the very idea of any neurotypical child starting school in nappies is crazy

• Like 3

I don’t think that’s anything new.  A decade ago, I had parents saying ‘oh, Mrs F will get them out of nappies, don’t worry’ 😳

• Sad 1

On 30/04/2022 at 16:30, Froglet said:

Lots of news this week from you all. Louby - I love your granddaughter pictures. FM Glad you survived Ofsted. Zigzag so sorry you’ve had such a tough week. Sunnyday I’m so pleased your knit and natter is going well. Mousie I am totally with you on the toilet training!

My week has just been incredibly busy - 2 members of staff off who needed covering. Meetings after school everyday etc. A couple of my children are really struggling at the moment and I have no idea what else to do to help them. I’m very grateful for the long weekend mainly because it means that today I have done nothing but crochet a schnauzer from my new book of patterns. I didn’t intend for that to be the plan at the start of the day but that’s how things ended up. The extra day has meant that today has been the most relaxing guilt and stress free day I’ve had in a while. I’m now trying to decide what to eat for tea - I have absolutely no clue at all and am beginning to get hungry!

Looking forward to seeing a pic of that on the other thread! 🥰

Well I’ve made a huge decision today and have handed my notice in! I’ve gone for as long as I can, but decided enough is enough. Early years and parents in particular have changed so much in the last 19 years that it has drained my passion and that’s not fair on the children.  So onto pastures new, whatever that may be….

• Like 1
  • Sad 2