Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

On 19/02/2022 at 15:34, Panders said:

We are unscathed from Eunice - sons different matter 5 fence panels down for one and no power since yesterday morning for the other, I expect they are walking about in their thermals and ski suits🤣  Power due to be reconnected between now and 4.30., if not I may have a few lodgers over night.

Oh dear still no lecky on at son's village😞

• Sad 1

On 20/02/2022 at 16:45, Panders said:

Yes, but the goal posts keep changing so it must be pretty nasty and I don't suppose the current weather situation is helping.    Could be another 2 days!!!!

Oh no - I am trying to remember how long we were without power after the '87 storm, think it was 5 days

It was thoroughly miserable, I do remember that much

We had three consecutive christmases without power from Christmas Eve until various amounts of days, one of which was well over a week, when we lived in Cumbria.  They finally routed the cables underground and it stopped it, mostly.  It was unbelievable the second time when the lights went out during midnight communion.  The third year I hadn’t even bothered buying a turkey or feeding the freezer, so there was nothing really lost.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 20/02/2022 at 16:45, Panders said:

Yes, but the goal posts keep changing so it must be pretty nasty and I don't suppose the current weather situation is helping.    Could be another 2 days!!!!

Is the power back on? Did you see local news tonight - poor people - some had no power and no water

Yes power finally back on Sunday evening - but initially for just a short while, then off, then on again!    We kept the girls here overnight.    Then middle son text to say that the next storm took their electricity out, but only for a couple of hours thank goodness as they have a 3 month old as well as a toddler.

I think the thing that annoyed son was they were being given updates of times, but those times would come and go and still nothing.  It was hard to plan to know what to do.    While we all understand the difficulties and how hard the engineers were working, the situation was so frustrating.

• Like 1

How is it Friday tomorrow already 🤦‍♀️ Sorry to talk shop but has anyone updated their Covid plans yet? Are you just going with ‘advised’ or still still keeping in place the ‘musts’, it’s mainly the ‘advised to stay home and not have contact with others for 5 days if positive’, I want to say if pos you must stay off for 5 days, but who is going to bother with PCR tests for little ones now? I will definitely drive home ‘if they come in unwell they’ll be going home’ (hoping parents think it won’t be worth the hassle to be called back)…..do you think all the changes come about in the holidays as Gov know we’ll have time to sort it 🤷‍♀️

On 24/02/2022 at 09:10, Mouseketeer said:

How is it Friday tomorrow already 🤦‍♀️ Sorry to talk shop but has anyone updated their Covid plans yet? Are you just going with ‘advised’ or still still keeping in place the ‘musts’, it’s mainly the ‘advised to stay home and not have contact with others for 5 days if positive’, I want to say if pos you must stay off for 5 days, but who is going to bother with PCR tests for little ones now? I will definitely drive home ‘if they come in unwell they’ll be going home’ (hoping parents think it won’t be worth the hassle to be called back)…..do you think all the changes come about in the holidays as Gov know we’ll have time to sort it 🤷‍♀️

What a dilemma for you Mousie - I wish that I had something useful to say - if I was still working I would absolutely 100% be sending poorly children home - my 4 yr old grandson had Covid recently, his only symptom was a 'snotty' nose, only tested because there was another case at pre-school...roll on Spring/Summer and lots of outdoor play

• Like 2

On 24/02/2022 at 09:10, Mouseketeer said:

If I'm totally honest I stopped updating things months ago🙀!!!!   It saved me hours of pointless work 😳

I will be sending home a reminder about keeping sick children off- even with 'just a cold'.  We will be continuing with good ventilation with windows and doors open etc. 

To be fair our parents (other than one) have all been fantastic throughout and have been keeping poorly children off, however I think that's partly because we are sessional, parents that work have grandparents that pick-up, and in a way we are seen more as 'give the grandparents a break' than full childcare for working parents as we only offer two 6 hour days.   I think it will be a lot harder on settings where 'childcare' is needed rather than a nice bonus (if you get my meaning)

Has anyone else just received the email about Q-Codes, where it goes onto say we know longer need to keep details of all staff present including their shifts hours etc..... I thought that was basic H&S- knowing who's in the building for fire regs etc!  (not to mention EY safeguarding reasons ).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 24/02/2022 at 14:31, Panders said:

I always thought it was because we couldn't get bolshie about it - nobody there to complain to!!

Absolutely

How many times were we sent 'stuff' on the last day of summer term or first day of summer holiday 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

Well was just about to update my covid plan to go free for all i think! don't really see that we can do anything else. Don't come in if you are ill. We won't have tests available so don't really know what else we will do. can't afford to give staff time off sick so if we don't test we won't know we have it! 😱😬🤪

On 24/02/2022 at 16:04, finleysmaid said:

Well was just about to update my covid plan to go free for all i think! don't really see that we can do anything else. Don't come in if you are ill. We won't have tests available so don't really know what else we will do. can't afford to give staff time off sick so if we don't test we won't know we have it! 😱😬🤪

Any advice from LA?

On 24/02/2022 at 16:11, sunnyday said:

Any advice from LA?

No chance…after the horse has bolted and all that!

I’m going to quote this from the updated EY actions and thank them for their continued good judgement (to be fair apart from one (carer) our parents have been great about keeping off or picking up when asked).

I can see my issue being staff who think children shouldn’t attend just because they sneezed but ok for them to come as they won’t get the ssp from day 1.

C41E7D74-8631-4243-8A61-85A76CA7E96F.jpeg

• Like 3

Happy Friday!

I think that I must have the kindest neighbour in living history - tree surgeon is here now to remove the tree that fell onto neighbours garage roof, it transpires that it also hit their motorhome, I had no idea...

Neighbour said "I watched it fall, it was in slow motion, pretty sure there won't be any damage, please stop worrying about it"

How kind is that

Well, we will be able to see what damage has been done when tree surgeon removes the tree, fingers crossed my neighbour is right...

Anyway, enough about me and my 'problems' which are nothing in the grand scheme of things

How is everyone getting on?

• Like 1

How do you get on with insurance for that if the tree is in your garden?  We have a huge 260 year old oak tree that would do serious damage to our neighbouring properties - and ours, if it fell this way.  I asked the insurance company to note it in our policy and they were quite blasé about   It, casually ‘oh yeah, yeah, ok’ so each time we get those strong winds, I panic a bit! 

On 25/02/2022 at 11:57, Cait said:

How do you get on with insurance for that if the tree is in your garden?  We have a huge 260 year old oak tree that would do serious damage to our neighbouring properties - and ours, if it fell this way.  I asked the insurance company to note it in our policy and they were quite blasé about   It, casually ‘oh yeah, yeah, ok’ so each time we get those strong winds, I panic a bit! 

Oh goodness Cait that must be a real worry for you

We won't be claiming from insurance so I have no idea - tree surgeon has finished, he charged £80.00 which seems more than fair to me

Damage to neighbours garage roof is minimal (thank heavens), couldn't see until tree was removed - will speak to neighbour later

Best to repair at your own cost if you are able to or your insurance premiums will go up for the next few years!     It doesn't work like car insurance - if your tree falls into next doors and they have damage they have to claim on their insurance if it is something they can't afford to put right themselves😞  If anything is not attached to your house it probably wont be covered, ie, fences, hedges, gates.

During the 87 storm, we had a lot of damage to an oak tree, probably similar in age to yours.   The tree was in the lane beyond our property.  After the storm the local council sent round tree surgeons who dealt with all the branches which were damaged.    All I can say is, we don't let it worry us too much these days.   You could get a tree surgeon to survey the tree and take off any branches showing signs of "old age" and get them removed so they don't break off maybe.

• Like 1

It has a TPO on it, and we had it looked at and trimmed just after we moved in.  It hadn’t been looked at for a long time before that, as the previous owner said ‘it should grow as God intended’ 😳.  I guess she never cut her hair or nails 🤣🤭

• Haha 1

On 25/02/2022 at 16:19, Cait said:

It has a TPO on it, and we had it looked at and trimmed just after we moved in.  It hadn’t been looked at for a long time before that, as the previous owner said ‘it should grow as God intended’ 😳.  I guess she never cut her hair or nails 🤣🤭

We have an old oak tree on our front border with our neighbour! It's (just) in her garden, but it does appear pretty solid.🤞

Edited by louby loo

Such a beautiful day here - lovely sunshine, lots of washing out on my line which pleases me greatly

Mr S is trying to repair fence panels, he will have to ask our sons to come here to slot them back into place, he won't be able to manage that bit

If everyone returns a negative test 🤞 we will be going to youngest son's house later for dinner and a 'film night' - we are going to watch 'CODA', I am told by son and DIL that I will love it but will need tissues...

• Like 2