Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Today is/would have been John Lennon's birthday - one of my favourite JL quotes:

'Time that you enjoy wasting, is not wasted'

I also like his quote

“life is what happens to you whilst you are busy making other plans”

It’s very true as well. The older I get the more I am realising that and trying to live in the moment more.

• Like 3

Hello - it's Friday again!

How is everyone getting on?

Weather has been beautiful here this week, such a bonus for this time of year

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying my flower arranging/craft class - feverishly knitting poppies at the mo, these will be used to make a display at church for Remembrance Sunday. Looking forward to Monday when we will actually be doing some flower arranging (that's the bit that I am most interested in!)

Mr S and I have appointments for our flu jabs tomorrow - should have been last week but cancelled due to supply problems - really hope it goes ahead tomorrow...

Have a lovely weekend all x

I have finally got round to sorting out books to sell through an internet app thingy - 🤔  Surprising how many they do not want! But they are being collected rather than me heaving them down to ASDA, or PO    Have given many away, offered up to charity shops, granddaughters' nursery and school, have kept some (which I can't bear to be parted from😍sillyI know).    Still got loads to go, so if anyone has any requests  - I will happily look to see if I have it and send it to you, (no charge😉)

Just going into town to pick up a ring which needed a ruby stone replacing - goodness knows how that got lost, fortunately it wasn't the size of an iceberg, so not too expensive.

Might take a crack at making an owl shaped ipad stand when I get back.

Hope 'flu jabs go ok Sunny, needless to say, Mr P's didn't hurt at all at any point, mine began before we left the car park😱 all ok now though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panders said:

I have finally got round to sorting out books to sell through an internet app thingy - 🤔  Surprising how many they do not want! But they are being collected rather than me heaving them down to ASDA, or PO    Have given many away, offered up to charity shops, granddaughters' nursery and school, have kept some (which I can't bear to be parted from😍sillyI know).    Still got loads to go, so if anyone has any requests  - I will happily look to see if I have it and send it to you, (no charge😉)

Just going into town to pick up a ring which needed a ruby stone replacing - goodness knows how that got lost, fortunately it wasn't the size of an iceberg, so not too expensive.

Might take a crack at making an owl shaped ipad stand when I get back.

Hope 'flu jabs go ok Sunny, needless to say, Mr P's didn't hurt at all at any point, mine began before we left the car park😱 all ok now though

We have an independent charity shop that takes ANYTHING..... sometimes I feel bad when I leave bits!  He took about 4 big bags of children books last time I went. He did say his daughter was a teacher in Dagenham and Barking -which is one of the most deprived areas in the country though-  and she takes most of the books to give out to families. :) 

Edited by louby loo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, louby loo said:

We have an independent charity shop that takes ANYTHING..... sometimes I feel bad when I leave bits!  He took about 4 big bags of children books last time I went. He did say his daughter was a teacher in Dagenham and Barking -which is one of the most deprived areas in the country though-  and she takes most of the books to give out to families. :) 

I grew up in Barking!    So funny yesterday I was at a clinic waiting for an eye test, and a chap in there early 40's was chatting to the lady opposite me in the waiting room, when she left he said - you wouldn't believe she's 90!   Indeed, I thought at least 10 years younger.  Then of course, we got chatting.   Seems he had grown up in Barking, very near to the school I attended, in a road my mother always said she would love to live in, all post war and round bays!   So many other life experiences we had in common - quite amazing.

I have to say Barking didn't feel in any way "deprived" when we lived there.   Isn't it a wonder how things change over the years.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Panders said:

I grew up in Barking!    So funny yesterday I was at a clinic waiting for an eye test, and a chap in there early 40's was chatting to the lady opposite me in the waiting room, when she left he said - you wouldn't believe she's 90!   Indeed, I thought at least 10 years younger.  Then of course, we got chatting.   Seems he had grown up in Barking, very near to the school I attended, in a road my mother always said she would love to live in, all post war and round bays!   So many other life experiences we had in common - quite amazing.

I have to say Barking didn't feel in any way "deprived" when we lived there.   Isn't it a wonder how things change over the years.

I like this!

I think that I have 'talk to me' tattooed on my forehead - Mr S laughs at me and says things like "so you've got his life story then" 🤣 or "do you know her then" invariably the answer is 'no never seen her before in my life'

Youngest son, if we are going anywhere together, has been known to say "you are not going to talk to everyone are you mum" - i would like to point out that it is always (well mostly) people talking to me not the other way round!

Anyway it's good to chat...

I think that I have 'talk to me' tattooed on my forehead - Mr S laughs at me and says things like "so you've got his life story then" 🤣 or "do you know her then" invariably the answer is 'no never seen her before in my life'

Youngest son, if we are going anywhere together, has been known to say "you are not going to talk to everyone are you mum" - i would like to point out that it is always (well mostly) people talking to me not the other way round!

I think many early years workers have the same tattoo!  

We must all have faces that are used to little people speaking random ramblings to us ... to which we are always so pleased to hear!!!

Edited by louby loo
  • Like 1

I like this!

Ditto

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Hello - it's Friday again!

How is everyone getting on?

Weather has been beautiful here this week, such a bonus for this time of year

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying my flower arranging/craft class - feverishly knitting poppies at the mo, these will be used to make a display at church for Remembrance Sunday. Looking forward to Monday when we will actually be doing some flower arranging (that's the bit that I am most interested in!)

Mr S and I have appointments for our flu jabs tomorrow - should have been last week but cancelled due to supply problems - really hope it goes ahead tomorrow...

Have a lovely weekend all x

We did it a few years ago.  It was fabulous and looked incredible.  Unfortunately, someone threw them all in the dustbin when they were taken down - well over 2500 poppies.    I was devastated when I found out.  Never found out if it was accidental or deliberate. 

AD62A06E-20CB-4608-8623-E6DBBCF1E821.jpeg

C664017A-491B-40A7-8161-09629F2B0B7E.jpeg

228D90D0-7F58-446D-9431-2A95E778E4F2.jpeg

F1953C97-0F9C-4EC2-B793-2606C2967A0D.jpeg

• Like 7

So, I'm awake!  There is nothing quite like the first weekend of a holiday when there is nothing that you MUST get done for Monday!  I've spent the day relaxing, reading, knitting my candy cane socks and just being.  This first week off I'm aiming to get the TDL done (need to write it first) and then the second week I'm aiming to be on holiday properly.  I treated myself to am embroidery kit to try something new so might start that this afternoon.

Cait - what poppy pattern have you used?

Sunnyday - I'm looking forward to seeing your arrangements!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I'm so pleased for you, I really think this is such a good idea

I do mostly - the autumn term is so long and full on that I think a two week break makes a huge difference to children and staff. This year though our summer break was down to 4 1/2 weeks - we finished so long after everyone else! I shouldn’t complain - I truly appreciate the holidays I do have!

16 minutes ago, Froglet said:

We’re two - we have one week less in the summer.

3 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I'm so pleased for you, I really think this is such a good idea

We did consider this, but decided to stick with finishing a week earlier at Christmas instead. We always go back ASAP in September though.

On another note- I have just booked a mid week 'tots' break with my granddaughter and daughter the first week in December 😁  I've never actually done a holiday camp before- not sure what I've let myself in for!  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Froglet said:

I do mostly - the autumn term is so long and full on that I think a two week break makes a huge difference to children and staff. This year though our summer break was down to 4 1/2 weeks - we finished so long after everyone else! I shouldn’t complain - I truly appreciate the holidays I do have!

Oooh 4 1/2 weeks is very tight

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Froglet said:

Cait - what poppy pattern have you used?

I preferred this one, but there’s loads of different ones out there! 

Marriner yarns (where I got the yarn from as it’s sensibly priced and reasonable quality) have free patterns for knit and crochet poppies too.  

08E82902-5B9B-48D9-BE18-2A97078D5994.jpeg

Thanks Cait, those are lovely too Mousie.  I've done a seasonal window display for a little while (although it was stuck on autumn for a year!) but was thinking of doing my own poppy display this year.  We always do one as a school and some of them have been stunning (I can't claim any credit for them other than the actual making of the poppies with the children!).

• Like 2

Apropos of nothing particular, my Mum’s care home has been making these, and I thought it would transfer to early years! 

I guess you’d need to make sure you took the stalk off first 🤭🤭😂😳

11CA1CBC-2C0D-48A2-A361-84476D63CA97.jpeg

Edited by Cait
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cait said:

Apropos of nothing particular, my Mum’s care home has been making these, and I thought it would transfer to early years! 

I guess you’d need to make sure you took the stalk off first 🤭🤭😂😳

11CA1CBC-2C0D-48A2-A361-84476D63CA97.jpeg

Ow Like that! Nice and simple for children. :) :) 

• Like 1