Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

7 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Ooops - meant to say, yes I had thought about hearing readers at school which I know I would really enjoy - but...Covid + do I really want to commit to having to be somewhere every Tuesday, Thursday or whenever...

I have signed up for a flower arranging/craft class starting from 4th October really looking forward to that

I think it's perfectly OK to have a wobble :-) I am having a few at the thought of retiring. I got my state pension earlier this year but am still working full time. I thought about it last year but thought 'just another year' so maybe the end of the academic year in 2022 will be the end of my career in early years which started in the mid 1970s.

You have my admiration for making the decision and seeing it through and yes I too, envy you quieter pace of life. Those flower arranging class sound soooo inviting - I have upholstery classes in mind for when i finally stop working. 

one day at a time i guess and enjoy every second.

• Like 3

Well I can't comment about anything as totally brain fried at the moment. We had our first actually cases this week, two staff members tested positive. Nightmare week but we coped fine.  Parents have been fantastic, either keeping or offering to keep their children off. - apart form one who complained out being advised to get her child tested!  😂

Just now, louby loo said:

Well I can't comment about anything as totally brain fried at the moment. We had our first actually cases this week, two staff members tested positive. Nightmare week but we coped fine.  Parents have been fantastic, either keeping or offering to keep their children off. - apart form one who complained out being advised to get her child tested!  😂

Oh Louby my heart goes out to you. I hope everyone is recovering and has not been too poorly. Hope you have a restful weekend. Stay safe. Xx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, louby loo said:

Oh no louby x

13 hours ago, zigzag said:

Oh Louby my heart goes out to you. I hope everyone is recovering and has not been too poorly. Hope you have a restful weekend. Stay safe. Xx

10 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Oh no louby x

To be honest it's not been as stressful as I'd imagined it would be.

The main 'stress point' is ratio's - especially as now they've removed the dispensations.  We are only a small team and always work well over ratio anyway, but it's that worry first thing in the morning. We've had two birthdays (yesterday and tomorrow) and they've now turned three which as you know makes a huge difference number wise for the coming week thank goodness. 😊.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, louby loo said:

The main 'stress point' is ratio's - especially as now they've removed the dispensations.  We are only a small team and always work well over ratio anyway, but it's that worry first thing in the morning. We've had two birthdays (yesterday and tomorrow) and they've now turned three which as you know makes a huge difference number wise for the coming week thank goodness. 😊.  

That was good timing then! I was trying to explain to a parent who was being rather demanding about a afternoon space for their two year old the other day about the magic three turning point. I’m not sure she believed me that that can make all the difference! I hope the coming week is better for you and you stay safe xx

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zigzag said:

That was good timing then! I was trying to explain to a parent who was being rather demanding about a afternoon space for their two year old the other day about the magic three turning point. I’m not sure she believed me that that can make all the difference! I hope the coming week is better for you and you stay safe xx

Yes!  Plus we all know 100% attendance is unusual - but it's the waiting (and praying)  to find out if it's the 2 yr old that's off that day!! 🤣

Have been steadily working my way through old paperwork - today I am getting rid of training certificates, just realised that these are just the photocopies still have all the originals to go 🤦‍♀️ also have at least eleventy-billion plastic document wallets...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, louby loo said:

I get that - we have 3 positive staff members and various positive children at the moment.  The stress is ensuring that we have adequate staffing and are within ratio in nursery.  Our challenge being partly that whilst the non-nursery classes have no ratio other than 1:30 we all have children who really need 1:1 support in all of them!

Sunnyday - I'm sorry you've had a wobble but perfectly understandable, especially if you've started clearing paperwork.  I'm sure it will pass in time.  I understand you not wanting to make a regular commitment to hearing readers weekly etc. but what about offering your support at those times of year when you know an extra pair of hands will be gladly appreciated e.g. when making Christmas/mothers/fathers day/Easter cards or on the school sports day.  Or for crowd control during the nativity.  All of that pending covid circumstances of course but I know I would love that kind of offer!

My week has not exactly been peaceful but I do feel that there is a slight light at the end of the tunnel plus my headteacher has promised no more changes until after half-term!

I had a couple of high points yesterday - I got one of my SEND children to sit through an assembly with minimal disruption to the others.  Then one of the other SEND children did a great piece of work; I wanted to take a picture of him to show mummy and he let me - he normally never knowingly has his photo taken!  I was so chuffed.

Today I have had a much needed lie in and am having a slow paced day.  I've made some 'fat rascals' to have with a cup of tea and am planning a short nap but following that really want to get school work sorted today.  Wish me luck.

• Like 3

Thanks for the volunteering at school suggestions young froglet - really good ideas there and if we ever get past Covid I will look into that...

Have just visited youngest son and DIL - DIL's dad was there, he asked if I was enjoying retirement...long story short he told me that it took him ten months to get used to retirement and I quote "if you have worked all of your adult life, particularly in a job that you enjoyed, you can't just switch it off like a light switch" wise man!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Thanks for the volunteering at school suggestions young froglet - really good ideas there and if we ever get past Covid I will look into that...

Have just visited youngest son and DIL - DIL's dad was there, he asked if I was enjoying retirement...long story short he told me that it took him ten months to get used to retirement and I quote "if you have worked all of your adult life, particularly in a job that you enjoyed, you can't just switch it off like a light switch" wise man!

So true.  I was with a friend the other day who has two children, the youngest is 9 and this friend was worrying about what she would do with herself when her youngest was old enough to neither need/want mum around to do 'stuff' with all the time.  It reminded me just how important it is to have interests other than work!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

on a completely different note...has the resources section disappeared? I need a health declaration/annual declaration and i can't find mine😱

Shout if you can't find one - I should still have mine on my old lap-top (will need a little notice as it takes about three hours to start up 🤦‍♀️)

3 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

Ooh i am happy to take anyones!!!! really can't find mine and i can't be doing with typing up a new one,,,,,have pity on me dear forumites😜

I believe this is sunny days- I have altered to take out the disqualification by associations and I'm sorry it's PDF though. I think I might have to fire up the old laptop to find the worddoc versions 🤣

I do PDFs as I can print double sided!!

2021 Staff Suitability Declaration - generic.pdf

18 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I believe this is sunny days- I have altered to take out the disqualification by associations and I'm sorry it's PDF though. I think I might have to fire up the old laptop to find the worddoc versions 🤣

2021 Staff Suitability Declaration - generic.pdf 54.44 kB · 0 downloads

😍 Thank you! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

2021 Staff Suitability Declaration - generic.pdf 54.44 kB · 3 downloads

🤣 it is - but where did I swipe it from in the first place

• Haha 2

Oh gosh, a simple message from me reminding parents to shut the gate as it was left open at lunchtime has kicked off gate wars! When a parent suggested a shut the gate sign might help, I ever so politely asked do parents really need a sign to remind them to shut the gate that leads onto a busy road to keep their children safe!!  Well clearly they do, might start offering to wipe the parents bottoms for them on the way out as well! 

The geography of our plot was - one gate at the end of the garden (this was put in for no reason at all by the landlords as far as I could see.   Yet another gate leading from the lower car park to the upper car park via some steps, and the said garden area, and a 5 bar wooden gate which led out onto the main road.  😱   Not trusting any parent - before the children went out to the playarea/garden I would go out first and lock up all gates.   The one at the end of the garden I put a padlock on it in the end.   I had to discourage some parents who turned up early to pick up from not climbing over the gate which led up via steps to the playarea/garden pointing out that even on a basic level we did not want to put it into the childrens'  heads that they could do such a thing themselves, let alone parents being there in a safeguarding nightmare!

Personally, I think it's a flipping nightmare to get through to parents about some issues.    At least put it in the newsletter as a reminder every now and then.  When I think of just how safe we had to be with the children and then watch what happened outside once they were handed back to their parents it made me shiver