Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

6 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I'm talking to myself here - but that's fine, I do it all the time 🤣

I'm thinking that at least Nadhim Zahawi knows that early years exists - that will make a change from the dreaded Gavin Williamson

You keep chattering away ....... we are listening honest!  😊   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sunnyday said:

I'm thinking that at least Nadhim Zahawi knows that early years exists - that will make a change from the dreaded Gavin Williamson

True dat

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sunnyday said:

It will, now to get shot of the VF one 😡 I’d replace her with Alistair Bryce Clegg or Julien Grenier …either would do and just to care about early years is an improvement on her  😛

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1

Tis Friday!

I know some of you are having a tough time - I do hope that things have improved a little now...

Happy weekend x

Oh -I am having lunch with two friends tomorrow, one of which I haven't seen since pre pandemic times, Dec. 2019 to be precise, really looking forward to a good catch up and a lunch date that stretches into early evening! 😂

Edited by sunnyday
  • Like 3

Yes Friday again!

I'm good now, I think I was just exhausted - I'd worked almost non-stop for two weeks clearing and sorting our new space. Back to my three days this week and feel far more relaxed again.

I cleaned more carpets this morning! 🙀.... I feeling so motivated when it's sunny- but not hot 😁😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, louby loo said:

Have you all remained fit, well, and negative ? 

Yes, we have.  6 year old granddaughter now on the mend, but had many more symptoms than we might have imagined she would.     Youngest granddaughter goes in for an operation at the Evalina/St Thomas's on Monday.   They are going to attempt to repair a tiny cleft in her throat.     Next week will be a real toughie for her mum and dad.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Panders said:

Yes, we have.  6 year old granddaughter now on the mend, but had many more symptoms than we might have imagined she would.     Youngest granddaughter goes in for an operation at the Evalina/St Thomas's on Monday.   They are going to attempt to repair a tiny cleft in her throat.     Next week will be a real toughie for her mum and dad.

Oh bless her little heart, sending kindest thoughts to all and heaps and heaps of positive vibes x

• Thanks 1

On 01/08/2021 at 10:25, louby loo said:

Neither have I ....🤷‍♀️   🤣

At our last inspection 2017 (I think- under our old ownership)  Our inspector was so lovely- and sound like if we had her again now things would be perfect. She was so impressed with our staff knowledge and never asked for any paperwork, she even said we were just wasting time on our daily set-up/planning sheet!

If I knew all inspectors were like her I'd feel 100% confident going forward in September, however unfortunately we all know this isn't the case :(  I can't even find the inspectors name now (to see if she's still active in our area) as our old reports have gone and I never kept a copy 😩 (Every bit of old paperwork was boxed up and given back to old owner in complete hissy fit of disgust at the time!)

I think i must have had your inspector today. Oh my goodness me what a fantastic inspector i had the pleasure of meeting. I was with her from 8:45 -5:15 and it was an awesome day. We have been waiting for the phone call for a while and it finally came yesterday. I didn't know the inspection cycle had changed - apparently our next inspection will be in 6 years time!

Edited by Gezabel
adding information
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Gezabel said:

I think i must have had your inspector today. Oh my goodness me what a fantastic inspector i had the pleasure of meeting. I was with her from 8:45 -5:15 and it was an awesome day. We have been waiting for the phone call for a while and it finally came yesterday. I didn't know the inspection cycle had changed - apparently our next inspection will be in 6 years time!

Yay! Well done Gezabel

9 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Yay! Well done Gezabel

Congratulations 🎉 we are almost 5yrs post last inspection.

any feedback on what to expect would be welcome Gezabel, mainly what was expected ‘curriculum’ wise 😊 

I haven’t even looked at the new inspection hand book yet, hoping to make it to half term and then give full attention to it 🤦‍♀️

4 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Congratulations 🎉 we are almost 5yrs post last inspection.

any feedback on what to expect would be welcome Gezabel, mainly what was expected ‘curriculum’ wise 😊 

I haven’t even looked at the new inspection hand book yet, hoping to make it to half term and then give full attention to it 🤦‍♀️

My brain is a bit frazzled so this response is in no particular order! More just things she was especially keen to see/discuss.

The new inspection handbook is a  must. All staff need to be aware of OFSTED's privacy notice. 

Privacy notice

4. During an inspection, inspectors will collect information about staff and children at the setting by looking at records and observing the everyday life of the setting. We use this information to prepare our report and for the purposes set out in our privacy policy.

The inspector spoke about this in quite a bit of detail - in the handbook there is a link to there privacy policy and it's worth a click! I was able to tell her I knew who OFSTED might share personal information with and why.(only because i had read their policy) 

There was very little interest in paperwork/laearning journeys/written planning. The documentation she did ask to see was: staff qualifications, first aid certs (checked they said 12 hours), Safeguarding Policy. List of children including names, date of birth, level of funding, SEND, EAL, EYPP - luckily we have that in one document with a coding system which was great. She wanted to see evidence of how we conduct staff interviews, what we do when staff leave (we have an exit interview) the induction process for new staff, staff supervisions/appraisals (we do termly supervision and annual appraisal and she was happy with that), written references for staff, DBS (just the numbers recorded) She spent quite a bit of time asking about how we 'monitor' DBS - took me a bit by surprise but all i could say was that on every supervision/appraisal staff sign a statement at the top of their form saying that no circumstances have changed in regard to their suitability to work with children. She accepted that.

The hot topics that came up several times during the day were: COVID, the three I's, Cultural Capital, British Values, Partnerships with parents.

More specifically in relation to COVID she wanted to know and see evidence of how we supported our children during lockdown. When we re-opened how did we assess any gaps in children's learning, did any children show any sort of regression in their learning, how did we support children coming back after lockdown.

time and time again she talked about the 'intent' behind whatever she was seeing at the time. then of course that led on to the implementation and impact. She discussed this with all staff. 

She spoke to all staff and asked them all the same quesions (Obvisouly we found that out after she had gone!) thankfully they all said the same (right!) answers - phew :-)

the biggest thing for me was the Learning Walk but i was sooo lucky with the inspector she really was lovely.

Oops so sorry just realised the time I have an appointment at 10 this morning and still in my jim jams!!. I have a big family do tonight but i will pop back i promise - lots more to tell you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gezabel said:

My brain is a bit frazzled so this response is in no particular order! More just things she was especially keen to see/discuss.

The new inspection handbook is a  must. All staff need to be aware of OFSTED's privacy notice. 

Glad it went well, and thanks for the update. :) 

On 17/09/2021 at 22:11, Gezabel said:

Fabulous news.  I look forward to reading more about it! 

Hello all,

Glad to hear about the good inspection!  Panders - hope all goes smoothly for your grandaughter - sending lots of positive thoughts!

Friday was the end to a busy week (another one!) although I think my team might be beginning to see our way out of the very complicated planning situation we have at the moment.  We have a lot of 'challenging' children in our classes this year which is wearing everyone out - being patient all the time is tiring!

Yesterday was just a bit of cleaning, dealing with an epic mountain of washing up and actually eating proper food for the first time in a week.

I have a bit of a cold and am a bit wheezy but am negative on the LFT front so fingers crossed it stays that way.

Today is all about planning and school work.

• Like 3

Well we've just had our first Positive staff member 😭......... be totally ironic if the deputy caught it after dodging the bullet when her two teenage sons had it 2 weeks ago!!

Luckily I've not been in since Weds, and when I was in I was mostly busy sorting the cupboard space- so totally isolating myself from all staff anyway 😳😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Well we've just had our first Positive staff member 😭......... be totally ironic if the deputy caught it after dodging the bullet when her two teenage sons had it 2 weeks ago!!

Luckily I've not been in since Weds, and when I was in I was mostly busy sorting the cupboard space- so totally isolating myself from all staff anyway 😳😂

Oh my actual goodness louby - really hope your staff member is not too poorly and that you and the rest of your team stay well x

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to add all of that, very helpful and will def check out the privacy link.

well done to you and your team

Thankyou ! Here i am back again with a few more bits of info. Apologies in advance if i repeat myself.

Going back to COVID she wanted to know how we adapted provision (initially when we reopened after lockdown and how /if we have adapted provision as the Government recommendations have changed. We have an 'annexe' to our Safegaurding Policy solely related to COVID, This details how we implement the 'systems of control'. At the top of the first page in bold /red font it states 'This document is subject to change and was last updated on (date). I had updated it after the latest changes on restrictions in July.

The Learning  Walk is something fairly new to me and this was only my second one! My first was with our Early Years Advisor and i am so glad i had that opportunity as i was able to 'improve' on my first one!. The whole purpose of this walk was not to explain/show what we do but more WHY we do it. 

I did one joint observation with the inspector which was a delightful and very messy activity a colleague did with a small group of children, I was asked to make notes and not talk to the inspector during this observation. She decided when she had seen enough and we moved to a quiet area to compare notes. I was pretty pleased that we had made notes on exactly the same things e.g lots of open ended questions, good support of children at different ages/stage of development, standing back a little when appropriate, clearly showed they knew what the intent was and it was well implemented.

She also observed snack time - not a 'set snack' and not a rolling snack either ! we have a snack bar which is open for about half an hour and it is within that window of opportunity for the children to decided if they would like snack. I was asked why we had chosen to do it like this - the answer i gave was to give the children ownership of their needs, for them to decide if they felt hungry /thirsty and provision of snack this way did not interrupt their learning/play. Whilst mentioning food it is ESSENTIAL that any members of staff handling food have received training in food hygiene/handling. It is stated clearly in the EYFS but i have only done this recently - to my shame i thought cutting up fruit and making toast didn't kind of qualify for training. However, when chatting to the inspector after feedback i was a little shocked to learn that had we not had the relevant certificate the outcome would have been VERY different! So a little word of warning - if you dont have food training certificates i recommend doing it pretty pronto!

I was asked about key children and if we ever change a child's key person ( yes we do sometimes if the child clearly develops a bond with someone else) 

She spoke to a few children and the little treasure didn't disappoint!!!. I really liked the fact that all staff were able to attend the feedback if we wanted that. It was great for them to hear if from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I think the main advice i can give is to not 'Stress' - easier said than done I know. I would not try to start remembering specific things - believe in yourself, know that you 'know your stuff' and go with the flow.

Oh! just remembered she did ask how we provide children with challenges to extend their learning. She witnessed some spontaneous examples of this during the day and was happy.

Finally i sincerely wish that you all have the kind of inspection i was so lucky to experience 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Gezabel said:

OH and one more thing!! I was asked how my mental health was supported by my employer both generally and especially in relation to COVID.

That’s an interest questioning ….would it be an epic fail if we told the truth and said it hasn’t been? 

Thank you again for all the great feedback, it’s really helpful, I was going to ask if the joint observation was still carried out, I think this is something we’d need to plan (what & who) once we get the call as being ITM we rarely set pre-planned activities unless as an enhancement.

look forward to hearing your outcome when you can let us know but we’ll done on what sounds like a good experience 🙂

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

That’s an interest questioning ….would it be an epic fail if we told the truth and said it hasn’t been? 
I said that i had no issues with my mental health relating to work  but struggled in my personal life (new grandchild i saw twice in his first year)and my employer was a listening ear if i needed it

Thank you again for all the great feedback, it’s really helpful, I was going to ask if the joint observation was still carried out, I think this is something we’d need to plan (what & who) once we get the call as being ITM we rarely set pre-planned activities unless as an enhancement.

Ours was an extension of an activity from the day before which worked really well. She also observed other things briefly - think she did about 3 - just things that caught her eye really - two children both wanting same tool at workbench was one

look forward to hearing your outcome when you can let us know but we’ll done on what sounds like a good experience 🙂

• Like 1

It's Friday!

How is everyone?

I have had a bit of a wobble this week, have missed being at pre-school, I think it started with me sorting out old paperwork and reading some of the 'file of evidence' for Ofsted, old plans/evaluations/parents comments that I had collated, such happy times. Then the thought of all of the autumn activities that we would be undertaking at this time of year...

I have given myself a good talking to 😂 I need to be realistic - would I want to be dealing with the LA (no), would I want to renew my First Aid training (no, always disliked this anyway), would I really change the gentle way of life that I have slipped into for the busy life of pre-school (not really), would I want the risk of bringing Covid back home to Mr S (hell no)

So onwards and upwards, no more looking back!

Happy weekend to all - hope that it is filled with things that you enjoy the most x

• Like 3

Think its difficult Sunnyday in the early days especially.   Even now if I'm out and about and there's a little one - even knowing a stranger shouldnt approach - twice this week I've talked to a 2-3 year old  Once in a charity shop - mum was a step away, but the little one said "look, i'm sitting on this little chair, it's not breaking" to which I said "bet it would if I did, it would go kersplatt!"  and yesterday in a coffee shop, I sat at a table with a mum and 2 year old.  2 year old v. shy, but you know - you carry on trying!   Was talking to mum really - she was looking for a nursery placement for her.

I did think about volunteering at local school - to listen to readers - then Covid struck.   But may still do it.  Doing enough with the grandchildren at the moment which helps.   As you say - its the lovely things we miss - the connections with families, the activities and seeing how the children enjoy them etc.

Off to lunch with my oldest friend today - oldest in the sense we have known each other since we were 17 - I have as much "dirt" on her as she does on me😱😂

• Like 3

Ooops - meant to say, yes I had thought about hearing readers at school which I know I would really enjoy - but...Covid + do I really want to commit to having to be somewhere every Tuesday, Thursday or whenever...

I have signed up for a flower arranging/craft class starting from 4th October really looking forward to that

• Like 2