Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

Hi all - tis Friday!

How is everyone? Who is getting on with their TDL, who is making like an ostrich? 😂

What on earth is going on with the weather? It is blowing an absolute hoolie here - I had the shortest walk in living history today, it was all too much of a battle...

Happy weekend everyone x

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Hi all - tis Friday!

How is everyone? Who is getting on with their TDL, who is making like an ostrich? 😂

What on earth is going on with the weather? It is blowing an absolute hoolie here - I had the shortest walk in living history today, it was all too much of a battle...

Happy weekend everyone x

I know what you mean, I’m snuggled under a blanket on the sofa and am decidedly chilly - contemplating putting the fire on! Currently I’m pondering summer holiday/next year resolutions!

• Like 1

Our central heating came on this morning, so the house must have been less than 19 degrees! 😳😳

TDL is definitely something to be done straight away whilst still in work mode, then everything can be put away for the rest of the holiday - or what remains of it after tackling all the jobs! 

Edited by Cait
  • Like 2

Well I've had a Friday I'd happily forget !

We went for a walk with a friend witnessed a woman come of an e-scooter at speed, landing literally head first about 6ft in front of us.   Long story short ambulance called, told it would be a 7 hour wait... luckily a passer by stopped and took her to A&E in his truck. Woman has since phoned to thank us for helping she has a fractured cheek and eye socket.

We then went and had a coffee. Sitting there drinking a witnessed a twit (putting it very politely) dressed instagram worthy in top-to-toe in baby pink drive a vespa moped thingie straight in front of a cement mixer lorry!!  How the driver avoided running her over was **** unbelievable - her deserved a medal!!!!!!

Next week I'm concentrating on my TDL - at home in my happy safe place!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Oh my goodness Louby - I'm glad you were there to help but what a Friday!  I woke up at 4am today and got up just before 6, then fell asleep on the sofa again about 10am.  Currently trying to find the motivation to go and tidy something - anything.  I do not like the first few days of the holiday when my body is just too tired and I keep falling asleep.  I know it's what it needs but I still always feel lazy and like I'm wasting my holiday!  Off to go and find tidying motivation...

14 hours ago, louby loo said:

We went for a walk with a friend witnessed a woman come of an e-scooter at speed, landing literally head first about 6ft in front of us.   Long story short ambulance called, told it would be a 7 hour wait... luckily a passer by stopped and took her to A&E in his truck. Woman has since phoned to thank us for helping she has a fractured cheek and eye socket.

We then went and had a coffee. Sitting there drinking a witnessed a twit (putting it very politely) dressed instagram worthy in top-to-toe in baby pink drive a vespa moped thingie straight in front of a cement mixer lorry!!  How the driver avoided running her over was **** unbelievable - her deserved a medal!!!!!!

Crikey louby!

TDL from the safety of your home sounds like a plan to me!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Froglet said:

Oh my goodness Louby - I'm glad you were there to help but what a Friday!  I woke up at 4am today and got up just before 6, then fell asleep on the sofa again about 10am.  Currently trying to find the motivation to go and tidy something - anything.  I do not like the first few days of the holiday when my body is just too tired and I keep falling asleep.  I know it's what it needs but I still always feel lazy and like I'm wasting my holiday!  Off to go and find tidying motivation...

Don't be so hard on yourself young Froglet - sleep is so good for you - tidying up can wait!

• Like 1

I have done a few hours at school, stripped down backing paper (just waiting for the new stuff to be delivered as there is a delay😡) Rejigged the mark making and craft areas and am so happy with the result. Tidied all the cupboards except one which I just can’t face😬 Next week I need to work on reducing the amount of continuous provision we have available and do a deep clean.  Haven’t even got my head around the new EYFS or thought about how to approach that yet.  Have spent quite a bit of time painting a wooden advent calendar for my grand nieces and paining my items from Perrybox.  Just waiting for the weather to sort itself out again, my poor garden has been decimated.

• Like 1

On 30/07/2021 at 15:01, sunnyday said:

I’m trying, but it’s an up hill struggle, I’m finding staying on task tricky, am also trying to prep for new framework/ DM staff training but have read/watched and saved so many things I’ve confused myself 😵💫

how is anyone else getting on with their curriculums? Are you creating one or not bothering ……I’m not seeing how all staff will be on the same page if we don’t have something on paper 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

Basically (from what I can make of it all) we’re being told/advised/suggested (whatever the right word is) that we should plan our own curriculum goals based on what we want the children in our settings to be learning/achieving and not say the ELG’s are the curriculum.

BUT you read or watch something that tells you how to create your curriculum, then something else says you’re not expected to have a curriculum and then you read something like this from a new Gov publication and it looks like we should 🤷‍♀️ 

FE09535C-9910-412C-8460-1576A2695E13.jpeg

B47EDE87-6C48-4925-8EA3-04A896B04E09.jpeg

21 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I have to admit I am so confused! 🤯🤯

That makes 2 of us and I don’t think we’re the only ones 😜

on one hand Ofsted want to ‘bust the myth’ about needing a curriculum map, then Phil Minns HMI inspectors is saying you need a clear pathway on how chn will get to your Intent (curriculum), what’s the difference between a map and pathway 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Mouseketeer

11 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

, what’s the difference between a map and pathway 🤷‍♀️

I can answer that one!  Maps are difficult to read, whereas you can easily  just follow a pathway- and still end up lost at the end of it!!!!!   🤣🤣

I need to get my head around all of this this week 😩

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I can answer that one!  Maps are difficult to read, whereas you can easily  just follow a pathway- and still end up lost at the end of it!!!!!   🤣🤣

I need to get my head around all of this this week 😩

Thanks for clearing that up louby 🤣 

(not sure how that ended up in the quote box)

Ofsted and Gov.uk seem to contradict each other and even themselves on somethings and then Ofsted are questioning how this ‘myth’ that they wanted to see all this paperwork came about…..how about their inspectors coming in to our settings asking to see planning, cohort tracking and written next steps (my last inspector said it was clear staff knew children very well but she couldn’t give an overall outstanding as I couldn’t show her where each child’s next steps were recorded 😠)

Another task will be coming up with some kind of ‘starting points’ for parents once we have a curriculum I guess,  we currently give the appropriate age band from WTEW 🤔 I don’t think anyone has given a thought to the person who has a lot more paperwork/preparation to do to ensure everyone else has less 🧐 

15 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

🤔 I don’t think anyone has given a thought to the person who has a lot more paperwork/preparation to do to ensure everyone else has less 🧐 

This is so true Mousie - always a shedload of paperwork associated with mysetting - all produced by me, simply because I felt is was unfair to ask this of my staff

I shouldn't comment really as I haven't even read the documentation for the new framework (why would I 🤷‍♀️) but I do know that we have been told 'there is no need for lots of written records' plenty of times and as you rightly say this just doesn't work when you get the knock/ring at the door

Next steps were recorded on my planning docs and pre- Covid we had home/school diaries where these were shared with parents

When 'planning in the moment' I made sure that this was evaluated and recorded - as I said 'shedloads of paperwork'!

5 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

This is so true Mousie - always a shedload of paperwork associated with mysetting - all produced by me, simply because I felt is was unfair to ask this of my staff

I shouldn't comment really as I haven't even read the documentation for the new framework (why would I 🤷‍♀️) but I do know that we have been told 'there is no need for lots of written records' plenty of times and as you rightly say this just doesn't work when you get the knock/ring at the door

Next steps were recorded on my planning docs and pre- Covid we had home/school diaries where these were shared with parents

When 'planning in the moment' I made sure that this was evaluated and recorded - as I said 'shedloads of paperwork'!

Thanks sunnyday 😊 

I have to say we soon gave up on recording ITM interactions on sheets and never went down the focus child route, who was ever going to read it all again, if staff add an ob to tapestry that they’ve facilitated in response to a ‘spark’ they add #ITM so I can pick up and see they are recognising where those opportunities are and not letting things drift.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I shouldn't comment really as I haven't even read the documentation for the new framework

Neither have I ....🤷‍♀️   🤣

At our last inspection 2017 (I think- under our old ownership)  Our inspector was so lovely- and sound like if we had her again now things would be perfect. She was so impressed with our staff knowledge and never asked for any paperwork, she even said we were just wasting time on our daily set-up/planning sheet!

If I knew all inspectors were like her I'd feel 100% confident going forward in September, however unfortunately we all know this isn't the case :(  I can't even find the inspectors name now (to see if she's still active in our area) as our old reports have gone and I never kept a copy 😩 (Every bit of old paperwork was boxed up and given back to old owner in complete hissy fit of disgust at the time!)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

Thanks sunnyday 😊 

I have to say we soon gave up on recording ITM interactions on sheets and never went down the focus child route, who was ever going to read it all again, if staff add an ob to tapestry that they’ve facilitated in response to a ‘spark’ they add #ITM so I can pick up and see they are recognising where those opportunities are and not letting things drift.

Ah yes of course, we were not Tapestry users, I would have loved to have been but my deputy was really reluctant, I could have forced the issue but she was worth her weight in gold to me so I didn't want to rock the boat

• Like 1

On 30/07/2021 at 22:22, louby loo said:

A 7 hour wait!!!!   Is that normal?  Crikey.   When I called one for Zebedee a few weeks back it seemed to take forever, but was actually only 40 minutes.  I can’t imagine the state he’d have been in after 7 hours of that pain! 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, louby loo said:

Neither have I ....🤷‍♀️   🤣

At our last inspection 2017 (I think- under our old ownership)  Our inspector was so lovely- and sound like if we had her again now things would be perfect. She was so impressed with our staff knowledge and never asked for any paperwork, she even said we were just wasting time on our daily set-up/planning sheet!

If I knew all inspectors were like her I'd feel 100% confident going forward in September, however unfortunately we all know this isn't the case :(  I can't even find the inspectors name now (to see if she's still active in our area) as our old reports have gone and I never kept a copy 😩 (Every bit of old paperwork was boxed up and given back to old owner in complete hissy fit of disgust at the time!)

Isn’t it on the ofsted website copy of the report? 

Edited by Cait
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cait said:

A 7 hour wait!!!!   Is that normal?  Crikey.   When I called one for Zebedee a few weeks back it seemed to take forever, but was actually only 40 minutes.  I can’t imagine the state he’d have been in after 7 hours of that pain! 

7 hours seems to be the normal in Cornwall currently. My son is a Coastguard and they now have to advise non life threatening casualties to find a way to get to hospital themselves! Dire straits down here.

5 hours ago, Cait said:

I'm pretty sure the word 'e-scooter' didn't help.  It reminded me of when we were on holiday in Cyprus and my daughter fell and cut he knee badly - at the hospital they were a little 'stand-offish' when initially treating her and assumed  if it was a 'moped' injury, when we said no-she fell whilst walking in the Trodos [s?] mountains they completely changed their attitude and she got the most fantastic caring treatment! Even given priory for the return visits needed!

4 hours ago, Cait said:

Isn’t it on the ofsted website copy of the report? 

No it was removed we needed to re-register 😬

2 hours ago, zigzag said:

7 hours seems to be the normal in Cornwall currently. My son is a Coastguard and they now have to advise non life threatening casualties to find a way to get to hospital themselves! Dire straits down here.

Worrying isn't it? 😟      When my late mother was ill, the Dr phoned me after some test results and said she had just called an ambulance for her - it was on my driveway before I'd even ended the call!

Edited by louby loo

All this talk of ambulance calling has reminded me - do you all know about 'what three words'? I don't know all the ins and outs but apparently the country has been divided up into 3 metre squares (or something like that) and each square has three words attached to it, you can give the words to the ambulance call handler...I expect that I am late to the party and everyone already knows about this

I have always worried that if we had to call an ambulance it would not find us - sat navs don't bring any drivers to our house! One of my daughters-in-law has the required app for this and we now have our 'three words' safely pinned on a noticeboard

louby - historical Inspection reports should still be available on the site

• Like 2