Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

Do you have a link at all please ?

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-21/covid-nurseries-forgotten-by-government-as-cases-soar-among-staff?fbclid=IwAR0tlostGdRFcD7gIIeGFhIOZe2GBAQJILFO3SU-4bXfszaHsuqUbGFki3Q

apparently this is being covered on ITV news at 10pm (if you see this in time) 

5045E78A-873C-45F5-B041-1FFE70160810.jpeg

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Thanks 1

Oh so many BIG questions to consider.😪

The funding is a problem ...the DFE have produced a document which suggests they will not fund LEA's if they are not supplying childcare, so i'm not actually sure it's the LEA's we have an issue with but the DFE. 

if as a setting you have proved that you cannot open by doing a thorough risk assessment then i think getting your legal team on board may be the way to go if the LEA are forcing you back. However that may prove that you cannot open it does not force them to pay you😪(especially if they are not getting the money from the DFE)

However we all need to look at our staffing teams and assess the risk and then act on this. If there is a risk of death then we may be sued if we open and deliberately put them at risk. rock and hard place comes to mind.

I am now debating opening for vulnerable ONLY for the first 2 weeks of feb . There will only be 2 staff available to work so if one of us is ill then we close. we will only be able to offer 15 hours and they will not be able to mix settings . I have reduced the risk to the minimum i can. we will be outside for the majority of the time. Other than raid flow tests i can't see what else i can do  but when i come home i will be up to the shower and not touch anything ! My phone is going to be sterilized regularly !!!!! (apparently the worse thing for germs) If parents don't follow my rules then we shut at short notice. Intend to terrify them all and hope they chose not to send then ...then i can say i'm open but they have chosen not to attend and that sorts out the funding issue.

😪😪😪 not really sure this is any help to anyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

If parents don't follow my rules then we shut at short notice. Intend to terrify them all and hope they chose not to send then ...then i can say i'm open but they have chosen not to attend and that sorts out the funding issue.

Sounds a sensible way of dealing with it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

Oh so many BIG questions to consider.😪

The funding is a problem ...the DFE have produced a document which suggests they will not fund LEA's if they are not supplying childcare, so i'm not actually sure it's the LEA's we have an issue with but the DFE. 

if as a setting you have proved that you cannot open by doing a thorough risk assessment then i think getting your legal team on board may be the way to go if the LEA are forcing you back. However that may prove that you cannot open it does not force them to pay you😪(especially if they are not getting the money from the DFE)

However we all need to look at our staffing teams and assess the risk and then act on this. If there is a risk of death then we may be sued if we open and deliberately put them at risk. rock and hard place comes to mind.

I am now debating opening for vulnerable ONLY for the first 2 weeks of feb . There will only be 2 staff available to work so if one of us is ill then we close. we will only be able to offer 15 hours and they will not be able to mix settings . I have reduced the risk to the minimum i can. we will be outside for the majority of the time. Other than raid flow tests i can't see what else i can do  but when i come home i will be up to the shower and not touch anything ! My phone is going to be sterilized regularly !!!!! (apparently the worse thing for germs) If parents don't follow my rules then we shut at short notice. Intend to terrify them all and hope they chose not to send then ...then i can say i'm open but they have chosen not to attend and that sorts out the funding issue.

😪😪😪 not really sure this is any help to anyone.

Thanks fm

I don't want any funding now - I am closed - I have no expectation of funding while I am closed

It is the threat of no further funding that I object to

I think I'm 'done' - my poor old mind hasn't switched off from all of this since March last year 

I will be interested to see what our glorious leader has to say at today's press briefing - could he have come to his senses with regard to EY - I won't be holding my breath......

My intention now, unless I change my mind overnight - is to write to parents outlining the issues with KCC, explain that we won't be back now until after Easter at the earliest and give them the option of moving to another setting. I would love to return for the summer terms but that will be dependent on several factors - where we are in terms of infection, funding and of course I might not have any customers left!

This is not the way that I wanted to announce my retirement - but without wishing to be too dramatic - I really don't think I can take anymore of this, I have never felt so undervalued in my life

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

This is not the way that I wanted to announce my retirement - but without wishing to be too dramatic - I really don't think I can take anymore of this, I have never felt so undervalued in my life

Oh Sunnyday.  I really feel for you.  What a huge burden this has been for you - additional stress you really didn’t need.   I know that feeling of being undervalued only too well, but remember that the people who really matter -your family,  your staff, parents and children all completely value you - and their opinion is what really matters when you close your eyes at night.   That’s the love that makes you smile and has made it worthwhile through the years.   This will pass, this sour taste, breathing will become easier and your chest will feel less tight, headaches will clear.  It’s temporary.   What was it your son called the others?  He’s right. 
hold your head high.  We love you too, remember xxx 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cait said:

Oh Sunnyday.  I really feel for you.  What a huge burden this has been for you - additional stress you really didn’t need.   I know that feeling of being undervalued only too well, but remember that the people who really matter -your family,  your staff, parents and children all completely value you - and their opinion is what really matters when you close your eyes at night.   That’s the love that makes you smile and has made it worthwhile through the years.   This will pass, this sour taste, breathing will become easier and your chest will feel less tight, headaches will clear.  It’s temporary.   What was it your son called the others?  He’s right. 

Well said.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Cait said:

So kind - thank you xxx

• Like 1

Sending you lots of love Sunnyday. The more I think about your situation the more furious I become that you have been treated like this.  I would be very interested to see how your parents react and see if they take any action.

As for the briefing, early years was of course not mentioned!

I hope that now you have come to some kind of decision that you can breathe and relax again. Xxxx

• Thanks 1

Hey Mousie - it's Friday!!!

How is everyone?

I'm still closed and the fight goes on with my LA - however, I am feeling far more chilled about things - I am adopting a 'what will be, will be 'attitude

Also feeling better and much more positive about the whole retirement thing - I was feeling sad and cross as I had really wanted to do one more year and felt that my hand had been forced - but hey there are many good sides to this - no summer TDL for one!

Best news ever today - Mr S has his first jab Saturday 6th February - whoop, whoop!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Also feeling better and much more positive about the whole retirement thing - I was feeling sad and cross as I had really wanted to do one more year and felt that my hand had been forced - but hey there are many good sides to this - no summer TDL for one!

Best news ever today - Mr S has his first jab Saturday 6th February - whoop, whoop!

Good news for the jab for Mr S 😁

...... and lets face it- it would always be 'just one more year' 🤔😳😊

Our LA are trying to get vaccines for us, which is good.

I've only worked two day this week, and two next week.

I've upset a few parents this week by making them 'scan in' now.   They argued that they weren't staying- I said as the primary carer of there child they needed to, a few moans about how the app keeps pinging.......... I said well mine doesn't!   My thought now are why are they 'pinging all the time'. obviously they must be going to a fair few places then 🤔

Good news for the jab for Mr S 😁

...... and lets face it- it would always be 'just one more year' 🤔😳😊

Our LA are trying to get vaccines for us, which is good.

I've only worked two day this week, and two next week.

I've upset a few parents this week by making them 'scan in' now.   They argued that they weren't staying- I said as the primary carer of there child they needed to, a few moans about how the app keeps pinging.......... I said well mine doesn't!   My thought now are why are they 'pinging all the time'. obviously they must be going to a fair few places then 🤔

Great news that your LA are trying to get vaccines for you

Not such good news about your parents and their 'pinging apps' 👎

4 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Hey Mousie - it's Friday!!!

How is everyone?

I'm still closed and the fight goes on with my LA - however, I am feeling far more chilled about things - I am adopting a 'what will be, will be 'attitude

Thank goodness for that ...it’s been a difficult week with staffing issues🤦‍♀️

No Summer TDL ...sounds like heaven sunnyday! my committee are asking what my plans are for a needed garden revamp during the summer ...like I have head space to think about that right now 😞 

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

No Summer TDL ...sounds like heaven sunnyday! my committee are asking what my plans are for a needed garden revamp during the summer ...like I have head space to think about that right now 😞 

Ask your committee what they are going to do about it Mousie, as you say not your number 1 priority right now

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Have you got many in at the moment?  Our staff are all older, and so far 🤞no issues, and staff are all having days off.

We have a max of 8 each day, usually 6/7. We are actually becoming very lazy 😳 We don't have to pack away at the moment, we're doing limited interactions with the children.

My brother asked if we are now running a 'Joyce Grenfell' type set up .... obviously after that comment we listened to some of her monologues at work today - I'd forgotten how funny they are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Have you got many in at the moment?  Our staff are all older, and so far 🤞no issues, and staff are all having days off.

We have a max of 8 each day, usually 6/7. We are actually becoming very lazy 😳 We don't have to pack away at the moment, we're doing limited interactions with the children.

My brother asked if we are now running a 'Joyce Grenfell' type set up .... obviously after that comment we listened to some of her monologues at work today - I'd forgotten how funny they are.

Around 14/15 a day louby, I was also hoping to give staff an afternoon (if not a day) off each week but that isn’t going to be happening now due to staffing issues so the others are being asked to do more not less ...but they have been amazing and given me hope when things seemed insurmountable 🥲 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Around 14/15 a day louby, I was also hoping to give staff an afternoon (if not a day) off each week but that isn’t going to be happening now due to staffing issues so the others are being asked to do more not less ...but they have been amazing and given me hope when things seemed insurmountable 🥲 

We cut down to mornings only.  I think the minute we offer full days (we only do two anyway) a lot more children[parent!s!] will want to come back. 

We did discuss that we may need to start offering the full days possibly form half-term, but I am going to limit the numbers as I honestly don't think we can offer a covid safe lunch-time with our normal numbers.

"George......don't do that" 🤣

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, louby loo said:

We did discuss that we may need to start offering the full days possibly form half-term, but I am going to limit the numbers as I honestly don't think we can offer a covid safe lunch-time with our normal numbers.

It’s a never ending task of trying to pre-empt every scenario and plan for it to the nth degree isn’t it? Will I have enough staff? Will I have enough children? What if more want to come back? 🤪

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

It’s a never ending task of trying to pre-empt every scenario and plan for it to the nth degree isn’t it? Will I have enough staff? Will I have enough children? What if more want to come back? 🤪

Yes, and incredibly mentally draining.  

Our LA are offering small settings a grant to access mental health and wellbeing services for staff. To be honest I haven't got the mental energy to complete the application form - only given a week to research what's actually our there for us- and the application need loads of details of costs etc...... I'll just open another bottle of wine then!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So busy muttering and moaning I forgot!

I've actually had a lovely afternoon!  Andy's birthday today, so I ordered a delivered afternoon tea for him(us). I have to admit he was a tad perplexed when he opened the door only to be presented with a fully loaded three tier cake stand! (He's not really an afternoon-tea type person 🤣)   Well I must say it was very nice.

Edited by louby loo
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Cait said:

Take that paintbrush out of your ear and give it back to Lavinia 

Lavinia is one of those names we don’t come across any more, isn’t it? Unless anyone has one in their group? 
‘Lettuce’ is another.  How anyone could name their daughter that has always puzzled me, but it was quite common in the twenties I believe 

2 hours ago, Cait said:

Lavinia is one of those names we don’t come across any more, isn’t it? Unless anyone has one in their group? 
‘Lettuce’ is another.  How anyone could name their daughter that has always puzzled me, but it was quite common in the twenties I believe 

I rather expect the shortening of Lavinia is tricky!     Do you think Lettuce, should probably be Lettice and its all in the pronunciation, certainly lettuce as in the salad item is most unappealing😆