Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

Have sent out a message to all parents saying we are open if they want to use us.  Have given very stern warnings about being truthful with us about possible cases in the family etc and isolating the children.  Have also stipulated that no unwell children even with just  a cold or cough will be admitted. Going for zero tolerance this term.  Three of my seventeen are being kept away as they are now isolating but all the rest are coming back!

Good luck everyone, stay safe and keep smiling!

• Like 3

Just managed a last minute reprieve on opening tomorrow. The school who we rent a room from sent out a email saying they will be closed for the day to discuss the situation so I put my foot down and said we would be as well!  I have very worried staff up against a chairperson who is determined we open (to the death) I think!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Panders said:

That's good news Zigzag - just watching Mevagissey Harbour Cam - nice day down there.💪

It’s beautiful, even more so that it feels like a naughty day off! Did a lovely dog walk this morning in the sunshine.

• Like 2

So.….. our glorious leader (not) is going to address the nation at 8pm tonight

He has also recalled parliament for Wednesday

I reckon it has to be back to full lockdown, they need to vote on that, they don't need to vote on Tier changes...….we will see

If my prediction is correct - why, oh why has he allowed some schools, preschools, nurseries to return today - he is always behind this awful virus, never in front of it

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

So.….. our glorious leader (not) is going to address the nation at 8pm tonight

He has also recalled parliament for Wednesday

I reckon it has to be back to full lockdown, they need to vote on that, they don't need to vote on Tier changes...….we will see

If my prediction is correct - why, oh why has he allowed some schools, preschools, nurseries to return today - he is always behind this awful virus, never in front of it

ehm...arhh...arhh emm...emmm argh.... don't go out, unless you have to go out, hmm ahh ehmmm.....open, unless you have to close.... hmm...

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, louby loo said:

ehm...arhh...arhh emm...emmm argh.... don't go out, unless you have to go out, hmm ahh ehmmm.....open, unless you have to close.... hmm...

Yep lots of that + alas and it is with a heavy heart and he will definitely address us as folks

• Haha 1

So if one parent is a key worker and the other parents is a stay at home parent or is furloughed do we still have to accept the child? This seems ridiculous to me and might be a position we may be in.  Does anyone have a definitive answer they can give me.

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

So if one parent is a key worker and the other parents is a stay at home parent or is furloughed do we still have to accept the child? This seems ridiculous to me and might be a position we may be in.  Does anyone have a definitive answer they can give me.

Well I would say no in that case, unless your open for a fair few more and it make economic sense -that and sometime a few more children are easier than just 3 or 4.

I know we're going to have an issue if we go down to keyword only. We have two...HOWEVER both of these parents use us as a 'top up' as the other full day will not honour the 30 hours!! -so they do a few with us. I'm going to tell them they will need to use their first choice for universal funding and ww will transfer the 30 hour funding that we get for them!

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

No, no and no!

Our primary school won't do that and nor should they in my humble

20 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

No, no and no!

Our primary school won't do that and nor should they in my humble

I think ours will do it if it enables other childcare to remain open this time?  

If my deputy couldn't come in we would potentially  need to close,  I think the LA have got involved this time. Our part-time/ term-time hours are not going to be paying any mortgages if her husband had to stay at home.

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

I will try to find the guidance. My memory is that in the summer it changed to say only one parent had to be a key worker.

19 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I think ours will do it if it enables other childcare to remain open this time?  

If my deputy couldn't come in we would potentially  need to close,  I think the LA have got involved this time. Our part-time/ term-time hours are not going to be paying any mortgages if her husband had to stay at home.

But...…..in zigzag's case the other parent is either a stay at home parent or furloughed - that's a different thing isn't it?

I would hope that the parents would not put us in this position. There is no way that I am putting my staff, myself and our families at risk when a parent is at home and available to care for their child. I am prepared to fight this one! One of the parents who is currently furloughed who’s husband works at the train station is kicking off on FB that she finds it unbearable that teachers are so happy that schools are closing and that her child suffered from anxiety in the last lockdown! Umm the child has literally only just started with us two weeks ago and didn’t previously attend childcare apart from mother and toddler!  Do you think early years will even get a mention tonight by BOJO? 

My staff and I have had a discussion and we feel really strongly that this is dangerous and wrong.  Cases in our small village are growing alarmingly by the day.  I have told my chair that we don’t want to work in this current situation.  She, rightly so, is on,y thinking about the groups finances but I feel so strongly that our safety needs to take priority at the moment.  Sunnyday do we have the right to present a section 44? We are not in any union.

OOH get you...had to look that one up....

All employees have a term implied into their contract of employment that they can refuse to attend their workplace if it unsafe for them to do so. Under Section 44 of the Employment Rights Act 1996, an individual is protected from suffering a detriment (i.e. disciplinary action or a deduction from pay) if they exercise their legal right to refuse to attend a workplace that is not safe. This is individual right that all members should invoke using our model letter.

so therefore doesn't appear to be union related!

7 minutes ago, zigzag said:

My staff and I have had a discussion and we feel really strongly that this is dangerous and wrong.  Cases in our small village are growing alarmingly by the day.  I have told my chair that we don’t want to work in this current situation.  She, rightly so, is on,y thinking about the groups finances but I feel so strongly that our safety needs to take priority at the moment.  Sunnyday do we have the right to present a section 44? We are not in any union.

It is my understanding that a Section 44 can be presented by any employee if they consider their working environment to be unsafe - it is not just an 'education' thing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Could be - nothing to stop our staff presenting a section 44 though

I'm seriously thinking of sending myself my section 44 letter.       I'm almost ready to throw the towel to be honest,  I just feel to old for this now.

Tomorrow we're in with no children, and until the 18th we have an average of 9 children a day. I going to see if my deputy wants to take over completely, and I'll just be admin from home and emergency cover is really needed.

• Like 2