Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

2 hours ago, louby loo said:

Our week started bad, but ended good :)   I think they are settling back into the routine now, and the initial wild excitement about being back is calming down.

I have a staff member who decided she needs to self isolate as she had a sore throat- no other symptoms, surprised me as she was one of the more positive about coming back :(.  I'm really not sure what to do about pay.   I'd pay if  SI is genuinely needed, but I'm not sure I can afford to pay for every sniffle staff have.  I might suggest unpaid leave if she really is worried.

Are you still able to claim back the SSP for those who are self isolating? I claimed for staff back in March and April. 

well TGIF ! been a busy one. I have a really diverse range of children in! they are definitely going to challenge us. we still have another group to settle next week and then we can get down to it. My biter is proving challenging he also spits ...NICE  I was beginning to wonder if he had  some SEN but it appears to just be behavioural so far. Mum asked for 30 hours my response is going to be no not until you have got some of these behaviours under control!...sounds extreme but she needs to step up. My little chap with asd has got chicken pox so a delay until entry. my chucker upper is still chucking and then running off to play happily(arrggghhhh) and then i have a group of 3 very quiet and rather gorgeous ones who need a little resilience, they are a bit phased by some of my more extrovert ones. defo feel the same as sunnyday regarding if we can get them school ready for next september! this year group had a reasonable amount of time with us next years lot....well the jury is out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebecca said:

Are you still able to claim back the SSP for those who are self isolating? I claimed for staff back in March and April. 

Not sure to be honest,  I think you need a Drs note? (I may well have that wrong!) and this staff member didn't seek advice.

Not sure it's worth the bother for us as a term time preschool. I'll pay this time, but will need a rethink if it keeps happening as it's not fair on the staff that do come in.

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Thank you :)  I tried it and it said they weren't eligible 😳,  mind you we've been on 80% during the whole of lockdown which I guess effects the figures. (no staff furloughed)

I think I'll just pay this time, but will need a serious think if this keeps happening.

• Like 1

Slightly delayed...

I survived the challenging Friday which was a huge relief.  I started Saturday well but am fighting both tiredness and a cold (just sneezing and a runny nose) so spent Saturday afternoon curled up on the sofa.  That in turn means that today is mostly going to be work - my to do list is just epic at the moment, not enough hours in the day!

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Froglet said:

Slightly delayed...

I survived the challenging Friday which was a huge relief.  I started Saturday well but am fighting both tiredness and a cold (just sneezing and a runny nose) so spent Saturday afternoon curled up on the sofa.  That in turn means that today is mostly going to be work - my to do list is just epic at the moment, not enough hours in the day!

Ah, that's not good, really hope that cold clears up soon.

Sending a virtual hug x

• Like 1

90% of our children and one staff member have got colds a week within coming back together again.  I do worry that we are all going to have zero immunity from normal bugs this year due the excessive cleaning hand washing and sanitising.  I too spent the whole afternoon binge watching Ant Middleton’s Mutiny series yesterday cuddled up on the couch. It was lovely but feel so guilty.  I was messaged by one of my parents with a bizarre message saying that she is scared about the second wave of COVID and what could I do to help her! 🤨. Ummm wait a moment and I will wave my magic wand! I was truly flummoxed what to reply as I really don’t understand what she thinks I can do. I am also worried about it and trying desperately to keep my own parents safe. So I tried ignoring it but I couldn’t, so replied we at school are following all government guidelines and doing all we can to keep children, staff and parents safe and will follow any updates as they develop. Also reminded her that pre-school is no statutory so she doesn’t have to send her child if she is that concerned!  Not sure what else I could say really...

Think you have said the right things zigzag.  Maybe she was having one of those anxious moments when you can't quite get your head straight - it usually passes with some kindly well thought out reassurance.

hope your dad is recovering well.  I binge watched Criminal on Netflix🐼

Edited by Panders
  • Like 2

I have a parent that emails every Sunday evening and says 'I think we'll start back next week, I just want to give it another week' :(   To be fair she is a good parent and the child will not be just left in front of a screen all week.

I thinking  of preempting this weeks email by suggesting she waits until half-term, but I can't think how to word it without sounding mardy about it 🤔

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, zigzag said:

90% of our children and one staff member have got colds a week within coming back together again.  I do worry that we are all going to have zero immunity from normal bugs this year due the excessive cleaning hand washing and sanitising.  I too spent the whole afternoon binge watching Ant Middleton’s Mutiny series yesterday cuddled up on the couch. It was lovely but feel so guilty.  I was messaged by one of my parents with a bizarre message saying that she is scared about the second wave of COVID and what could I do to help her! 🤨. Ummm wait a moment and I will wave my magic wand! I was truly flummoxed what to reply as I really don’t understand what she thinks I can do. I am also worried about it and trying desperately to keep my own parents safe. So I tried ignoring it but I couldn’t, so replied we at school are following all government guidelines and doing all we can to keep children, staff and parents safe and will follow any updates as they develop. Also reminded her that pre-school is no statutory so she doesn’t have to send her child if she is that concerned!  Not sure what else I could say really...

Don't feel guilty - we all deserve some down time!

I have just had a text from a prospective parent - she wanted to check that I had received her email yesterday as I hadn't replied 🤦‍♀️ I have just texted back to confirm that I have received it and that I will reply tomorrow as I am having a family weekend - really don't feel the need to be at everyone's beck and call 24/7 

Sounds like your reply to your worried parent was spot on

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Don't feel guilty - we all deserve some down time!

I have just had a text from a prospective parent - she wanted to check that I had received her email yesterday as I hadn't replied 🤦‍♀️ I have just texted back to confirm that I have received it and that I will reply tomorrow as I am having a family weekend - really don't feel the need to be at everyone's beck and call 24/7 

Sounds like your reply to your worried parent was spot on

Too flipping right!  It’s bad enough that it’s hard to almost impossible to keep the anxiety at bay, without having someone remind you of it afresh in the middle of your family time!   There IS life after Preschool after all, even though you eat, sleep, breathe and dream it 24/7! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cait said:

Too flipping right!  It’s bad enough that it’s hard to almost impossible to keep the anxiety at bay, without having someone remind you of it afresh in the middle of your family time!   There IS life after Preschool after all, even though you eat, sleep, breathe and dream it 24/7! 

Something I need to remind colleagues about sometimes too!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Panders said:

Ahh Sunnyday, hope he has a comfortable night, is your son staying up there with him, do you know how long Mr. S  is expected to stay?

Wishing you both the very best.

Thanks Panders - he is on his lonesome, which is very hard, no visitors are allowed at all, son dropped him off yesterday and if all continues to go plan he will pick him up on Saturday

Much 'bigger' procedure than last time - all done under a general, his Dr said as the target area was so deep in his lung it would be too "traumatic" to do under local and sedation

We are so grateful that he has been given this treatment

Just want him home now

• Like 5

Yesterday was fun ... 22 3 year olds caught in that torrential hailstorm. 

Our nursery garden is big, with trees - but it is a minute-long walk for little legs. So there I am in the office, minding my own business with my co-manager - "Goodness, listen to that rain!" ... "Where are the pre-school group?" ... "Oh blimey, they're in the garden". Cue us both grabbing coats and going to the door - I couldn't see my hand in front of my face! Said to co-manager you stay here, no point us both getting drenched. I ran up to the garden where my staff had got the children huddled under a big tree out of the worst of the storm. But they couldn't stay there. So, ensued a mad few minutes where we marched them back to the building - some crying as the weather was quite scary, some laughing because they love an adventure, others not seeming to notice! Back to the building - every child was wet through to the skin. Cue every child taking their clothes off "I'm all wet", brand new pre-schoolers looked at the older ones taking their clothes off and promptly stripped, including taking nappy off. A pile of wet coats, clothes, nappies and wellies!!  It took the 3 preschool teachers, me, me co-manager and our office manager 20 minutes to restore order - everyone in dry clothes (mostly which were their own) all wet clothes bagged, cuddles distributed to those in need. No need to wash down the garden toys last night, they had their own wash.

I then had to go straight to a meeting, feeling decidedly soggy. Thank goodness for hot baths.

Today, I am working from home ....

Edited by Rebecca
  • Haha 4