Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

flag posts?

narnia

Right folks,i am tasked with making a few flag posts ( the sort that has an arm at the top,for festival flags)...................and i thought I'd use thick bamboo canes, but they are prohibitively expensive ( unless you know a secret supplier!)................I'm looking at the poles being maybe 10-12 feet high so the poles need to be strong..............any ideas????

Thank you all............................bamboo was my preferred choice because that's what they were originally flownon..............but it'shugely expensive for long, thick poles. Drain pipes were my next thought, but they're too bendy....................i am going to try to tie them against things such as football posts i think, so maybe pipes will work. I'm not allowed to use scaffold pipes...............

We looked at copper ( we thought it would look pretty!).........it's HUGELY expensive . I phoned a bamboo supplier and he said he would give us a good discount................which turned out to be £50 MORE than his online price,errr......no, thank you :)

I'm getting to the point where desperation s colouring my thinking................but I messaged a local building project and have asked them if they could lend us some of their flag posts. I suspect the answer witll be no, but you never know :)

I dont think I can think of anything original you haven't already thought of, I looked at the design of "feather" flags and poles and the only thing that sprang to mind was using something along the lines of garden umbrella stands somehow, they would be sturdy if filled with water, but not perhaps, tall enough.

Nothing lurking in the local scouts hut from the old days of having "flag pole"ceremonies, I seem to remember the Caravan Club used to have a "flag pole" ceremony before everyone packed up after a rally.

If you secure the flag and pole to an existing structure I assume it could be quite a flimsy pole - certainly it wouldn't fall over and hurt someone!

Would something like this be wide enough for your poles - it should give you a stable base and then maybe attach some guy ropes with pegs - I'm thinking of using something similar to support some shade sails!

http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/coopers-of-stortford-screw-in-pole-base-prodst06811i/

Sorry, not sure if the link will work....

When we had the expanding carbon poles for banners, they came with metal spikes that hammered into the ground that they slotted onto.

A bit like the holders for that mesh they use on building sites with the hookey end sawn off........ :ph34r: