Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Are we going backwards?

Hi,

I've been helping out some afternoons in the FS of my son's primary school as I only teach my Nursery class in the mornings. The staff in the Nursery were really disheartened as they have had their displays ripped down, new backing put up of all bright colours, told that they need to have things hanging and had their room rearranged. Both the teachers are experienced and are up to date with current research - not over stimulating children, displays that demonstrate the children's learning and interest, plain backing so they children's work can be seen. But the co-ordinator is very old-fashioned and not only likes a more formal approach but also believes that "children need an attractive environment." She doesn't keep herself up-to-date or just ignores any advise. She didn't like what the LA advisor had to say so they are not asking her to come in again!!!

It feels like they are just going backwards unless I've missed some new movement towards an over-stimulating, claustrophobic environment? My classroom is magnolia with one main display board and other little displays but NO bright colours for backing paper and nothing hanging.

Green Hippo x

Oh dear...suggest she goes on an Elizabeth Jarman course and that her sort of uncluttered environment is actually proven to increase the learning of children.

:mellow: :angry: :(

That's a great idea - big fan of Elizabeth Jarman here :1b

• Like 4

Phew!

I went on an Elizabeth Jarman course when I started my current job 8 years ago. I was as inspired back then as I am now and have moved more and more towards it over the years since. There's a good video on YouTube about it, if I remember.

I was really pleased the other day that the teacher for deaf children congratulated me (in front of all the school staff) on how quiet the Nursery was but that all the children were busy - much quieter than what she usually experiences and therefore a good environment for our child with moderate hearing loss. I did actually do a fist pump!

The Nursery staff at the school are so frustrated with it all. I feel for them. It's been tough for different reasons where I work but we have been trusted to do our jobs and run our classrooms in our own way. I really feel for them.

Green Hippo x

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)